Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Speed Camera Along Kings Way Hove

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I got a speeding ticket in the post today, from the Speed Camera along King Way (between King Alfred and the enterence to the Harbour) from Friday morning around 10am. 36 in a 30 zone.

The thing is, if I recall, the camera was bent over on Friday, obviously hit by a car or something, and has since been removed and recall checking the speed as I went past as I always do!!

I driven past it twice a day for the past 7 years, without an issue, yet I was sure I was doing the limit as usual, but now have a ticket.

My argument is obviously it wasn't working correctly.

Does anyone else recall when the thing was damaged?

If it wasn't damaged Friday morning, and I went through it too fast, then hands up, I've not got a problem with that, I'll pay my fine and sit on the naughty step. But the fact I've not been caught by it once in 7 years driving past twice a day, makes me think something is not quite right in the village!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I believe that you can always ask when it was last calibrated. I don't know whether damage to the camera invalidates the calibration certificate.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I got a speeding ticket in the post today, from the Speed Camera along King Way (between King Alfred and the enterence to the Harbour) from Friday morning around 10am. 36 in a 30 zone.

The thing is, if I recall, the camera was bent over on Friday, obviously hit by a car or something, and has since been removed and recall checking the speed as I went past as I always do!!

I driven past it twice a day for the past 7 years, without an issue, yet I was sure I was doing the limit as usual, but now have a ticket.

If it wasn't damaged Friday morning, and I went through it too fast, then hands up, I've not got a problem with that, I'll pay my fine and sit on the naughty step. But the fact I've not been caught by it once in 7 years driving past twice a day, makes me think something is not quite right in the village!

Have you been :drink:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if it was bent over, it wouldnt have been able to take the reading or picture to support the speeding.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
if it was bent over, it wouldnt have been able to take the reading or picture to support the speeding.
It wasn't bent over, over, it was bent to the side. All I know now is its not there at the moment! It just seems to much of a coincidence.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
I believe that you are entitled to ask for the photos, which may support your view that the camera was out of alignment.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I believe that you can always ask when it was last calibrated. I don't know whether damage to the camera invalidates the calibration certificate.

An oft quoted fallacy.
You can plead Not Guilty and, as part of your defence, challenge the fact that the camera isn't working correctly or has not been calibrated in line with the relevant legislation. If there is nothing wrong with it and it has been correctly maintained, then you'll be facing costs of several hundred pounds.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
ask to see the photos, then you'll know if it was you, when it happened, and if the camera was upright.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton

Thanks Everest. Thats useful. The fact they have now moved it completely suggests something is up.

If it was any other time, or any other Camera, I would just give myself a dig in the ribs for being a pillock, but I generally do not think I was speeding when I passed it, and its just way to much of a coincidence for me to be caught when this has happen, after driving past the thing almost daily for seven years!

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
An oft quoted fallacy.
You can plead Not Guilty and, as part of your defence, challenge the fact that the camera isn't working correctly or has not been calibrated in line with the relevant legislation. If there is nothing wrong with it and it has been correctly maintained, then you'll be facing costs of several hundred pounds.

But if there was nothing wrong with it, then it wouldn't have been completely removed over the weekend!

I think a phone call to the plods camera department is in order tomorrow!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Thanks Everest. Thats useful. The fact they have now moved it completely suggests something is up.

Something up? Yep, it was in a dangerous condition.

Don't know when it was taken away though, but it definitely wasn't there Friday night.

Ask to see the photos, they may be interesting considering how bent over the camera was.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Something up? Yep, it was in a dangerous condition.

Don't know when it was taken away though, but it definitely wasn't there Friday night.

Ask to see the photos, they may be interesting considering how bent over the camera was.

That's even more useful.

It got me in the morning, and was removed by the evening!!

Can't see how it was working correctly, or how the ticket can be valid.

I won't ask for the photos. They'll probably try and do me for driving at a dangerous angle!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
That's even more useful.

It got me in the morning, and was removed by the evening!!

Can't see how it was working correctly, or how the ticket can be valid.

I won't ask for the photos. They'll probably try and do me for driving at a dangerous angle!
Sorry, got that slightly wrong.
It wasn't there Saturday night, not sure about Friday.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Maybe the camera got damaged and everyone who drove past got a ticket whether they were speeding or not. Could be the reason it got taken down. Contest it.

uploadfromtaptalk1433997847669.jpg
Don't think it was in any state to do much, apart from a photo of the ground..

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
View attachment 65970

Assuming that the camera was in that state when you drove past (are you sure it was?), it's very hard to see how it could possibly have taken a picture of any car travelling on the correct side of the road. It's more aligned to capture people travelling in the fast lane in the wrong direction!

If you're sure it was like that when you went past it, I think I'd be pleading not guilty...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

rather illustrates the point i was making earlier. that wasnt able to registering any vehicles moving let alone speeding.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

I drove past on Monday this week and the camera van was working & positioned 50 metres past the static position (in a seafront parking space) taking shots of those 500m/1000m back down the road towards KA before they slowed down for the static.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here