Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fielding without a wicketkeeper

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Worcestershire’s recent tactic of playing without a wicketkeeper

CGwwgvvWQAAuDLz.jpg

"It seems that Steve Rhodes, a former wicketkeeper himself and now Worcestershire’s director of cricket, came up with the idea after watching MS Dhoni stand back to India’s spinners. “In a game when you’re trying to stop the opposition scoring, it’s a legitimate tactic,” he said afterwards."

"The idea of playing without a wicketkeeper isn’t a new one and in a way goes all the way back to the early 1800s when a longstop was routinely employed directly behind the keeper to prevent boundaries (the keeper at that stage being more concerned with stumpings and run-outs than actually stopping the ball – a longstop would generally wear more protective clothing as mobility on the boundary wasn’t deemed as important as it was behind the stumps)."

"Worcestershire’s strategy last week was something different again. Did it work? Well enough – only one bye was conceded in the remainder of the innings and Worcestershire ended up winning by 14 runs. And it’s an idea that has a sound logic behind it: in a situation where runs are more important than wickets the switch essentially trades a catcher for a run-saver. Though whether the idea will catch on remains to be seen – don’t expect to see Jos Buttler fielding at fly slip at any point at Edgbaston on Tuesday."

Good idea? bad idea? I think its good and perhaps it might catch on!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I wouldn't want to have to field without a keeper. Going to be lots of overthrows and cracked fingers as the inner ring have to field and attempt to stop stolen singles and keep the batsmen in their ground.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
It obviously depends on the format. In the longer formats I can't see it being a good idea, but in T20 being economical is arguably more important than taking wickets, and if that tactic helps keep the score down maybe it is worth a go. I'd personaly still be wary of it though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It obviously depends on the format. In the longer formats I can't see it being a good idea, but in T20 being economical is arguably more important than taking wickets, and if that tactic helps keep the score down maybe it is worth a go. I'd personaly still be wary of it though.

Think it would lead to spinners getting battered - without the threat of a stumping, batsmen will have so much more freedom of movement

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Sussex have been trialling a similar thing: batting without any batsmen. It's had mixed results so far but I hear they're going to persevere with it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Sussex have been trialling a similar thing: batting without any batsmen. It's had mixed results so far but I hear they're going to persevere with it.

Yorkshire are also trialling this. It works by giving all your best players to England and then try to win cricket matches!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Depends how accurate the bowlers are :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here