Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Lego 'Window Licker'

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Somebody did not do their research before releasing this one;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/33079474/lego-apologises-for-window-licker-toy

Lego has apologised after unveiling a new model branded a "window-licker".

The toy, called Turg, was described on Lego's website as looking like "an experiment that's gone very, very wrong".

The description continued: "Part frog, part chicken, part back-of-the-bus window-licker, this Mixel has the longest tongue of them all."

Mental health charities have hit out at the company for using the "highly offensive" phrase.

Lorraine Bellamy, from the charity Mencap, says: "It is unacceptable that a toy company like Lego have used a term that offends people with a disability such as this, especially as the toy is aimed at children.

"I have a learning disability and I know that it makes me feel different.

"Hate crime and bullying are a daily reality for many disabled people and the use of language like this only makes it worse.

"I want Lego to apologise and to stop using this type of offensive language."

Daniel Mazliah, from the charity Scope, says: "It's pretty shocking that Lego has used this outdated and offensive word to market one of its toys.

"There is no doubt that many customers with disabled children will be appalled.

"Lego is a huge brand, loved by millions of young people who might think that this word is acceptable to use.

"We would ask Lego to remove this word from all marketing."

Lego has since changed the description. The company's vice president for the UK and Ireland, Fiona Wright, said in a statement: "Lego Mixels' aim is to inspire creativity using quirky fictional characters to help children express their imaginations.

"We have very high expectations of our products. This also includes the text we use to describe them towards consumers.

"We are sorry that wording which could be considered offensive has been used, as this has not been our intention at all.

"As an immediate result of the input we have received, the product description for the Mixels character Turg has been changed on our website Lego.com.

"We have looked at our processes to make sure this does not happen again."

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Totally discriminatory ... wheres the blue and white striped version ?

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I'm actually quite surprised at how often the term 'window-licker' gets bandied around on NSC unchallenged. It's not a long way off calling someone a Spastic, which I assume people wouldn't do, so I'm not quite sure how that's gone under quite a number of people's social radar.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I'm actually quite surprised at how often the term 'window-licker' gets bandied around on NSC unchallenged. It's not a long way off calling someone a Spastic, which I assume people wouldn't do, so I'm not quite sure how that's gone under quite a number of people's social radar.

Its a term of endearment on NSC which doesn't offend those who we're referring too. :thumbsup:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

Almost 7 years on and looking back a number of things still stick in the mind.

1) I shouldn't have said what I said, but who can't say that in life?
2) Neither should have Hawesy and I know he has similar regrets.
3) But the resulting thread and some of its content highlight what an electic mix we have on NSC.

Both Andrew and I were buoyed by the support we received from a large number of people on here, I later discovered the names and addresses of the two posters who made the only official complaints to the Beeb.

Thoughts of revenge? Not really, they did what they believed was right, for whatever motives they had.

We've all moved on, ironically I would say my departure from the BBC saved my marriage, made me appreciate my family more and certainly helped the development of my business, I hope the two individuals who wrote in have found what they wanted as well.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oh well, you learn something new every day on NSC! Never heard the phrase 'window-licker' before, and had absolutely no idea what it meant.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here