Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matt Upson

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Will probably retire now, what is he 36? As you can probably tell by my avatar he was my favourite player during his time here. There were some who said he was too old and past it when we signed him two and a half years ago and look what happened! For that reason alone, I'm saying #bringhomeupson :thumbsup:

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
If I had to decide between a 36 yr old Upson or a 34 year old Greer then i'd go the former. I'm not sure the way FORWARD is with either though.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
If the rumours about his influence on the team vs Garcia's are believed then what better place for him to do his badges? Fitness permitting, he'd play a fair bit as well.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
If the rumours about his influence on the team vs Garcia's are believed then what better place for him to do his badges? Fitness permitting, he'd play a fair bit as well.

And what rumours are they?

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Why not employ him as a Player/Coach of some description. Great professional to have in the team.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Age isn't such an issue with defenders, top class performers like Upson overcome loss of pace with know how. It's his fitness that needs questioning after missing most of last season with injury.

A fit 36 year old Upson would be a good signing.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Signing any 36 year old is a mistake. We are trying to rebuild a side which already has a very old defence. He was fantastic last time but we need younger, hungry players on the upgrade, we already have all the experience we need IMO.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:yawn:

So this week it's Matt Upson.

Clearly my calendar isn't up to date, which former Albion player is penciled in as next weeks 'could do a job'?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
:yawn:

So this week it's Matt Upson.

Clearly my calendar isn't up to date, which former Albion player is penciled in as next weeks 'could do a job'?

Paul McShane? Or was that last month?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Paul McShane? Or was that last month?
Yep, so far we've had:-

McShane
Barnes
Zamora
FFS
Orlandi
Ulloa
Ward - (who I'd have in a heart beat).
A few minor bibbles about Bridcutt & Buckley.
+ The blatantly obvious one I always forget off lists.

This post will be followed by:-

'if we had them all we'd win the division by Christmas'.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

No, definately not. The man has no coaching experience whatsoever, and we don't need a 36 year old central defender, when the man alongside him is 34, and we have two 30 something year old full backs on our books too.

Our defence was continually caught out for pace and stamina last season, and Upson's return would just make it worse. He did a great job for us a couple of seasons ago, but his time has now past.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
No, definately not. The man has no coaching experience whatsoever, and we don't need a 36 year old central defender, when the man alongside him is 34, and we have two 30 something year old full backs on our books too.

No way will Greer be a first team centre back next year. No way whatsoever. You've ruined my day at the thought of it.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Don't be so sure. In any case, even if he isn't, l don't want yet another ageing defender on our books. We need to bring the average age of the squad down big time.

No chance of that, as I have said many times before... Hughton will/has slowly removed every young player from the squad.

There will be none left....

I hope I am proven wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here