Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurants in Lewes

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can folk please recommend something decent for me? Totally open-minded as long as it's good.

I'm sorted for pubs, just need the food.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside, I once overheard an argument about physics in The Snowdrop in Lewes. For the first time in my life I really wanted this to kick off properly; I'd have found it amusing if they starting laying punches on each other over a physics theorem. I love this pub.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sometimes eat at Bills before the football, interesting menu and certainly edible.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sometimes eat at Bills before the football, interesting menu and certainly edible.

True, I know it well. And the Brighton one.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
As an aside, I once overheard an argument about physics in The Snowdrop in Lewes. For the first time in my life I really wanted this to kick off properly; I'd have found it amusing if they starting laying punches on each other over a physics theorem. I love this pub.

Me too. Was there for a quick midweek bite the other night. About a dozen bods arrived in dribs and drabs with banjos, fiddles and guitars and treated the ten (max) other pubgoers with a night of ad hoc Appalacian music that was a real treat. Food is great too. Especially the prawn gumbo.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Me too. Was there for a quick midweek bite the other night. About a dozen bods arrived in dribs and drabs with banjos, fiddles and guitars and treated the ten (max) other pubgoers with a night of ad hoc Appalacian music that was a real treat. Food is great too. Especially the prawn gumbo.

Ha ha. I have also been there when someone arrived on a canoe from Newhaven. And yes, cracking food and excellent beer.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
The Thai place at the bottom of station street has always had great reviews

Pailin Thai? Probably due to the lack of competition. There is a dearth of decent asian / oriental restaurants in the area. I genuinely don't think there is a stand-out chinese, japanese or thai restaurant in the town. Doesn't have a decent steak restaurant or a decent Italian either come to think of it.
Best bet is go to the Ram at Firle or the Griffin in Fletching.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Pailin Thai? Probably due to the lack of competition. There is a dearth of decent asian / oriental restaurants in the area. I genuinely don't think there is a stand-out chinese, japanese or thai restaurant in the town. Doesn't have a decent steak restaurant or a decent Italian either come to think of it.
Indeed, your best bet is Luna Rossa in Newhaven, which is better than I've had anywhere else in Sussex.

Jim Bob

Dec 6, 2014
Would recommend

Palin for Thai
Spice Merchant or chaula's for Indian
Not been there but heard good things about the Limetree Kitchen which is almost opposite the Palin

Hope that helps

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Mrs Lanky and I prefer 'The Real Eating Company' on Cliffe High Street (a stone's throw from the often packed and imho overrated Bill's) - their house burger is magnificent, along with their desserts. They also have Harvey's and Long Man Ales (bottled) and you never feel rushed there.http://www.real-eating.co.uk/

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Mrs Lanky and I prefer 'The Real Eating Company' on Cliffe High Street (a stone's throw from the often packed and imho overrated Bill's) - their house burger is magnificent, along with their desserts. They also have Harvey's and Long Man Ales (bottled) and you never feel rushed there.http://www.real-eating.co.uk/

I agree with this. I also enjoy Familglia Lazzati (there IS an Italian) in Market Street whenever I go....

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden

There is a new Thai restaurant called Erawan Thai Bistro, opened about 50 yards from Palin.....down the hill, turn left and it's almost next to the Lansdowne pub but in Friars walk.

Chinese...Panda Garden or Beijing. 3 decent Indians, my favourite is Spice Merchants. Loads of italians including Famiglia, Ask and Prezzos.

If you go to the Ram, not only would you need a taxi but you'd also need another mortgage.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast

What he said

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
There is a new Thai restaurant called Erawan Thai Bistro, opened about 50 yards from Palin.....down the hill, turn left and it's almost next to the Lansdowne pub but in Friars walk.

Chinese...Panda Garden or Beijing. 3 decent Indians, my favourite is Spice Merchants. Loads of italians including Famiglia, Ask and Prezzos.

If you go to the Ram, not only would you need a taxi but you'd also need another mortgage.

Saw that new place the other day. Any good?

The Panda Garden is very average and I have never set foot in the Beijing as whenever I drive by there is staff standing outside the main entrance smoking.
The Spice Merchant is my favourite too but the other Indian restaurants are v average.
Of the Italians you mentioned, you would have thought a town the size of Lewes might have an Italian with something slightly more special about it.
It doesn't leave much else to play with and although you are right about The Ram, I think it's worth the journey. There's a few NSC regulars who would rather it was THEIR secret though :wink:

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
The Hearth above the bus station is getting excellent reviews. Not been myself though.

I've often thought Lewes was lacking more decent restaurants.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Would recommend

Palin for Thai
Spice Merchant or chaula's for Indian
Not been there but heard good things about the Limetree Kitchen which is almost opposite the Palin

Hope that helps

Hold it right there. Chaula's has achieved a massive 1 on the food standards agency. Encourage them to improve by avoiding the place

Dodgy seagull

May 14, 2015
I agree with this. I also enjoy Familglia Lazzati (there IS an Italian) in Market Street whenever I go....

Another vote for Familglia Lazzati. Been there a few times and it has been excellent. Not your average pizza/pasta place. Probably need to book though as it is very small.

Real Eating Company - had some good meals there but can be a bit hit and miss with the service. Other than the pubs already mentioned Lewes is poorly served for decent restaurants.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here