Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[ot] iPad - worth getting 4g version ?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'm running out of space on my 16gb iPad so I'm going to get a 128GB one. Can't decide whether it's worth getting a 4G or just get wi-fi. Anyone got a 3G/4G ipad and find the mobile data invaluable ?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
What will you be using it for? If you need to stream videos by 4g can't you download before you want to watch? If you want to access the net or check your emails why can't you use your phone as a mobile hotspot?

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It depends on what you want to do with it. I have a non-4g one, but I never take it away from home where I'm on a wi-fi network. The only time I see myself taking it, is if I go on long journeys and want to read or watch a film I've already downloaded to it. So, I don't miss the 4G function.

However, if you're going to be taking it lots of places where you won't have wifi, and want to connect to the net, maybe it is worth it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've got an Ipad 2 with 3G. Only pay £7.50 a month for 1GB of data, which easily covers me for commuting time of about 2 hours a day - so convenient to be able to deal with emails etc during captive time on the train. Device is filling up/slowing down though so thinking about an upgrade........would using my phone as a 4G hotspot be as effective as having a sim in the ipad ?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Apple charge £100 more for 4g instead of just wifi. Then you need to pay for data on a sim. It seems like you can save all this cash by just tethering to your mobile and using the data you are paying for already? I am missing something? If this is the case why would anyone pay the extra?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I bought the 3g/4g version (can't even remember) about a year ago, never used that connectivity. Most of the time you'll be near a WiFi hotspot, otherwise you can tether.....

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
Have used the second generation iPad on commute to London daily for 4 years without 3G and found that using a mifi (remote wifi) with a cheap contract was good. Approx £7 for 1Gb of data per month on 3. With the cost of data on phones coming down I recently converted to using tethering and getting more data on phone contract. Cheaper option and works very well. Definitely don't get the contract version of iPad. No point. Not sure if latest versions ar 4g compatible for tethering but this may be best option.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Thanks for the info. I don't have tethering on my phone, I'm on 3 PAYG and they don't allow it. Maybe I'll go for a contract with data

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thanks for the info. I don't have tethering on my phone, I'm on 3 PAYG and they don't allow it. Maybe I'll go for a contract with data

You might want to look at that then - I've got a three page in front of me now and it says tethering is (now) included with PAYG deals.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
You might want to look at that then - I've got a three page in front of me now and it says tethering is (now) included with PAYG deals.

URL ?

On my account it says "Pay As You Go plans do not allow tethering. If you would like to tether, you will need to choose a Pay Monthly plan and / or an Add-On that does allow tethering. "

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
URL ?

On my account it says "Pay As You Go plans do not allow tethering. If you would like to tether, you will need to choose a Pay Monthly plan and / or an Add-On that does allow tethering. "

I really don't know how your PAYG account works, but my Three pay monthly plan is £15 with unlimited interweb, including the feels like home locations, and allows tethering.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
3 are very unclear about tethering imo. they seem to be OK about it for some package but in other detail say you need to pay the tethering addon. I'm not convinced they can tell for general surfing, or much care more to the point.

i cant understand why it even matters, you pay for an allocation, or PAYG, what does it matter if the consumption is on a phone or tethered device?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here