Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When is it acceptable to become a bed wetter?

When do signings have to be made before you start to wet the bed?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think we need parameters here. There are some who would back the club even if we sold the ground and relocated to Edinburgh, there are others who think that the Albion cannot get anything right but there has to be a middle ground that covers a bit of bed wetting and licking.

Where is it for you?

When do some decent signings have to be made to keep your sheets dry?
For the sake of argument, let's say two decent players have to be signed at least. .Development squad and non league flyers don't count.

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
I've said mid-July, since some pre-season for at least some new signings is necessary to avoid our season starting at the end of August again. That said, at least this year we still have a manager, which is reassuring.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think the answer is it's only really bedwetting if I'm* not concerned yet. It's no surprise that as more people got concerned with things at the club last season, the term was used less. People who throw that term around only do it until they are worried, too.

*Whoever is using the term

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
My bed is constantly wet until we get #hughtonout, can't get excited or bothered about a transfer window with him in charge #wastedseason.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Personally, I'd start to be concerned if we get through the friendlies with no new 'decent' signings having arrived.

I'm sure that's later than others will say and that's fair enough, it's very much a personal judgement call.

At this point, I'm nowhere near worried.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Up to the age of three or four, maybe. After that it is just a childish term of abuse.

As those who so glibly bandied the term around last summer ended up looking extremely foolish, having been shown to be totally wrong and the 'bedwetters' absolutely bang-on correct, hopefully we'll have less of this abuse this time round.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
By definition, you're a bed wetter if you express concern prematurely, much like weeing yourself. Therefore I'd say if you express concern at the start of the season, you're not wetting the bed, but now you would be. I guess there are shades of grey (yellow?) between now and then.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Up to the age of three or four, maybe. After that it is just a childish term of abuse.

As those who so glibly bandied the term around last summer ended up looking extremely foolish, having been shown to be totally wrong and the 'bedwetters' absolutely bang-on correct, hopefully we'll have less of this abuse this time round.

This is simply not true. Just because it didn't all come together in the end, doesn't mean the people who were vociferously expressing their concerns in June last year were able to foretell the future. Your argument is fundamentally flawed.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
you forgot to put in the poll
when those decent players are actually available
and we may have to convince them that the move is a good one
and the pay is not good .....but you can play every game, that is if you are not injured (maybe you are already or getting over a bad injury).
then there is the crowd will you be exceptable to them will you have the right high transfer fee
if all that lot falls into place then you are our man.

oh bugger you have decided to sign for ......................add any club that moves faster than lightning

Ok then do you have any mates who can play a bit ?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Never - it's the most cringey phrase NSC has produced to date.. And that's saying something....

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
you forgot to put in the poll
when those decent players are actually available
and we may have to convince them that the move is a good one
and the pay is not good .....but you can play every game, that is if you are not injured (maybe you are already or getting over a bad injury).
then there is the crowd will you be exceptable to them will you have the right high transfer fee
if all that lot falls into place then you are our man.

oh bugger you have decided to sign for ......................add any club that moves faster than lightning

Ok then do you have any mates who can play a bit ?

Just tick the "perennial bedwetter" option Glasfryn :lolol:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Never - it's the most cringey phrase NSC has produced to date.. And that's saying something....

Just meant as a bit of fun to help us get through the days (weeks? months?) before we sign someone we can get enthusiastic about.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
It's not so much when but what you do that defines the state of your sheets. I reckon that starting a thread moaning about CH going on holiday is the high water mark so far this summer.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As those who so glibly bandied the term around last summer ended up looking extremely foolish, having been shown to be totally wrong and the 'bedwetters' absolutely bang-on correct
That's completely wrong. Those that wet the bed early last summer then took it back when we made the signings, because most fans (bed wetters and lickers alike) were happy with the signings we had made by the end of the window. It later turned out that those signings, combined with our choice of manager, weren't good enough. That doesn't suddenly mean that those who wet the bed because our signings didn't come soon enough were right, they weren't.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
This is simply not true. Just because it didn't all come together in the end, doesn't mean the people who were vociferously expressing their concerns in June last year were able to foretell the future. Your argument is fundamentally flawed.

Interesting. So those that were outspoken about the poor quality of signings were wrong, even though almost all of the signings ended up being terrible, culminating in a nervy flirt with relegation. It was apparent from the get go last summer we were seriously adhering to FFP and as a result the majority of our transfers would be freebies or budget buys. We didn't finish 20th by accident. Overall I don't think many of the 'shitphrase' were happy with the actual personnel brought in by the club, most were just happy to see some bodies in to bolster the squad.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Without trawling back through last year's posts, I'm not sure that the phrase was in common usage as early as this last year - I seem to remember a few moans about Hyypia being appointed, mainly I think because of his connection with Liverpool. I think people started to get concerned when there were dire performances in the friendlies, and even worse when the season started.

Anyway, the argument isn't fundamentally flawed - the concerns were fully justified, and those who used the phrase as a term of abuse were shown to be embarrassingly wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here