Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

 Music

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Apple's Spotify competitor launches at the end of June and will even be coming to Android (some time later).

$9.99 per month but with a very nice looking family plan for $14.99, which I believe Spotify have already moved to match. You will probably be able to swap those dollar signs for pounds to make us feel like we're being ripped off a bit.

The biggest music streaming service in terms of number of subscribers within a year? Probably.

http://www.apple.com/music/membership/

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is going to be an interesting one to watch, as is the whole streaming thing in general.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Daft question but what music will it have on it? Will it have the more obscure end if the spectrum?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Daft question but what music will it have on it? Will it have the more obscure end if the spectrum?

I think this is crucial, I'm sure they'll do well off of the people who just want chart music etc because ZOMFG its Apple (although will people be willing to migrate from Spotify or w/e where they've spent years building up their playlists?) but if you're of a more discerning taste and want to use it to browse and discover music both new and old that doesn't exist within the mainstream, how useful can yet another service really be?

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Apple's Spotify competitor launches at the end of June and will even be coming to Android (some time later).

$9.99 per month but with a very nice looking family plan for $14.99, which I believe Spotify have already moved to match. You will probably be able to swap those dollar signs for pounds to make us feel like we're being ripped off a bit.

The biggest music streaming service in terms of number of subscribers within a year? Probably.

http://www.apple.com/music/membership/

Will that be available on a Windows phone?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

This will be the deal breaker for me. Not enough underground techno and deep house artists for me on Spotify. I tend to only use it for my more commercial playlists.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Be good to hear zane Lowe again when beats 1 launches.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Spotify "radio" playlists are awful, seem to continuously play songs I either don't like or are an obviously linked choice. Pandora had a great radio station that seemed to throw up consistently good new music if never heard of before. If Apple can improve on the Spotify radio station feature I'm sure they'll be on to a winnet

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I can't see any compelling reason to move over from my sub at Spotify.

I will give the 3 month trial a full test though!

No current web player from Apple.

No doubt this will be another Apple success story, but Spotify still has a significant advantage in that you can listen to the full service ( with the occasional ad ) for free.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Will certainly take the free trial for all the family. Not entirely sure it will be for me though.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But don't they all make their money touring these days anyway!

Main income is touring (or t-shirts if it's a metal band), because they get **** all from platforms like Spotify.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here