Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton FINALLY back from holiday

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Hoorah!

Now, I'm all for people being entitled to annual leave, but when Chris Hughton took on the job he knew full well we weren't going to be in the play-offs. So why the blinking hell did he only finish his holiday until the end of last week? The season finished over a MONTH ago, why on earth does a bloke who only joined in January need a whole month off?

Well, it's just great isn't it. What's the first thing he's done since coming back from his hols? Slap a statement out there about the importance of FFP. Well that will lift the morale around the place. Don't our club ever learn?

Liverpool, albeit a bigger club than we'll ever be, have had an absolute embarrassment of a season. Yet their season finished only a couple of weeks ago and they've already got two key signings in on a free, presumably after weeks, probably months of negotiation. Derby, almost certain to be favourites for the league, have already recruited a new manager and already made a couple of signings. That was our excuse for being late in the market last year! What have we been doing? Well, Hughton sunning himself on a beach seemingly and not showing the Iranian the stadium or training ground.

Van Gaal managed Holland in the World Cup last year and straight into the Man U job, binning off a holiday in the process. He knew he had to rebuild and needed as much time to do it as possible. We need a left back, probably 2 wingers and 2 forwards as a MINIMUM and we're now fighting the clock yet again. We need the core of the team done for the opening game, not the end of August, as proved last season with Fenelon playing the opening game where we dropped points at home to Sheffield bloody Wednesday, good grief.

Derby, Birmingham, Wolves, MK Dons, Brentford, Preston and Forest all in amongst the deals already. How many of these are we likely to be competing with these for the play-offs, if that even is our aim? A majority no doubt. But no, here we are, listening to tiresome stories in the Argus about a Finish keeper we don't even need and a winger who will no doubt join a club with a bit more ambition.

If we're pinning our hopes on O'Grady (who doesn't want to be here) and Colunga (who Hughton already turned down) then we're basically fcked already. I really, really hope we're being super busy in the transfer market behind the scenes but I just can't see it.

Where's the odds on us to go down? Hope to be proved wrong but if the next few weeks are anything like the 5 weeks since the season ended then I fear we're in for another dire season and more cancelled season tickets at the end of the year.

Save your comments about bedwetting for when we actually announce a decent signing - I hope it's in the Argus tomorrow but just can't see it.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
If we need Hughton to be in the country to complete a new signing then the club is in a far worse state than I'd ever imagined.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we need Hughton to be in the country to complete a new signing then the club is in a far worse state than I'd ever imagined.

If he had a bit of charisma he could sell the club to prospective signings. Nah you're right no point in him being involved. Might as well take another month off and let whoever is in charge of recruitment mull things over for a while longer.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well on the basis he can't really take any holiday from July to end April, I guess May/June is the best time to be away...........unless of course the doom-mongers on here get their way in which case he can b*gger off in January for several months in the sun

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Though Hughton was on holiday, he was probably in contact with Paul Winstanley and maybe Jamie Johnson on a near daily basis - the backroom staff will play the major role in any transfers that happen in the coming weeks. Factor in the fact that other managers were also on holiday for the same period and that a lot of 'free' players are only now becoming available, most deals happen in the latter part of the window plus that a bid has been accepted on Alireza Jahanbakhsh and there's enough to suggest that we don't have to panic yet.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We don't seem to have learnt much from last summer and I fear we'll be playing the first few games with what we have now, will sign 2 or 3 just before deadline day, and then 5 loans in the loan window.

We have now left it so we need to sign a player every week to get the squad ready for the first match.

Too much to do, so little time.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Hoorah!

Now, I'm all for people being entitled to annual leave, but when Chris Hughton took on the job he knew full well we weren't going to be in the play-offs. So why the blinking hell did he only finish his holiday until the end of last week? The season finished over a MONTH ago, why on earth does a bloke who only joined in January need a whole month off?

Well, it's just great isn't it. What's the first thing he's done since coming back from his hols? Slap a statement out there about the importance of FFP. Well that will lift the morale around the place. Don't our club ever learn?

Liverpool, albeit a bigger club than we'll ever be, have had an absolute embarrassment of a season. Yet their season finished only a couple of weeks ago and they've already got two key signings in on a free, presumably after weeks, probably months of negotiation. Derby, almost certain to be favourites for the league, have already recruited a new manager and already made a couple of signings. That was our excuse for being late in the market last year! What have we been doing? Well, Hughton sunning himself on a beach seemingly and not showing the Iranian the stadium or training ground.

Van Gaal managed Holland in the World Cup last year and straight into the Man U job, binning off a holiday in the process. He knew he had to rebuild and needed as much time to do it as possible. We need a left back, probably 2 wingers and 2 forwards as a MINIMUM and we're now fighting the clock yet again. We need the core of the team done for the opening game, not the end of August, as proved last season with Fenelon playing the opening game where we dropped points at home to Sheffield bloody Wednesday, good grief.

Derby, Birmingham, Wolves, MK Dons, Brentford, Preston and Forest all in amongst the deals already. How many of these are we likely to be competing with these for the play-offs, if that even is our aim? A majority no doubt. But no, here we are, listening to tiresome stories in the Argus about a Finish keeper we don't even need and a winger who will no doubt join a club with a bit more ambition.

If we're pinning our hopes on O'Grady (who doesn't want to be here) and Colunga (who Hughton already turned down) then we're basically fcked already. I really, really hope we're being super busy in the transfer market behind the scenes but I just can't see it.

Where's the odds on us to go down? Hope to be proved wrong but if the next few weeks are anything like the 5 weeks since the season ended then I fear we're in for another dire season and more cancelled season tickets at the end of the year.

Save your comments about bedwetting for when we actually announce a decent signing - I hope it's in the Argus tomorrow but just can't see it.

OK, I'll bite. Given most player contracts don't end until the end of June I'd suggest late May / early June is the ideal time to take his holiday. Also, I'm assuming you've not heard of these new fangled things called the mobile phone, the internet and email ? Although they probably haven't got to a backwater like Littlehampton yet.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
You mean someone let him out of the basement? Rookie mistake!

Seriously though, how much does he actually need to be at the ground for the early part of a transfer when there are so many ways for him to stay in touch/talk to prospective new players whilst he's away?

If a signing was imminent then I'm guessing he'd make a point to meet them but (not claiming to be an expert here) surely that comes after all the fees/wages/agent stuff?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
All full time employees are entitled to 28 days a year. I think 4 weeks off in May and early June is quite a good time to take a chunk of that break to be honest.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It's Eddie Howe we should feel sorry for.

Signing up 4 players already, can't have had his holiday yet.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I should point out that the holiday comment is prompted by the quotes from Ali G's agent about not being able to sign anything until he'd spoken to the manager

What has Madeley got to do with it?

5093497.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here