Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brad Jones

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Glutton for punishment.

We are still in for Maenpaa and rumoured to have Fotheringham in mind if that fails.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Glutton for punishment.

We are still in for Maenpaa and rumoured to have Fotheringham in mind if that fails.

Thought that Fotheringham is earmarked for Reading. Do we need a keeper to pressure DS for the No 1 jersey or just as back up?. I believe that we should put our faith in DS at least till January window to see how he performs. I must admit I knoiw nothing of Jones other than he played for Liverpool a number of times plus other clubs on loan but as to his good and bad points I know nothing.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Jesus your suggestions get worse and worse

The idea is we want someone to CHALLENGE DS for the No1 jersey, therefore a useless suggestion as he wont do that.

I don't understand why you say we should keep faith with Stockdale ? Surely every position on the team should be competed for and the goalkeeper position shouldn't be any different. Stockdale needs a legimate challenger for his position so that he is kept on his toes and earns his place.

In addition if we wanted 'just a backup' then Ankergren could do that with the option of a short term loan if DS was injured.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A few on here seeme to think DS could be being sold on. Maybe we should concentrate on a decent 1st choice?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Jesus your suggestions get worse and worse

The idea is we want someone to CHALLENGE DS for the No1 jersey, therefore a useless suggestion as he wont do that.

I don't understand why you say we should keep faith with Stockdale ? Surely every position on the team should be competed for and the goalkeeper position shouldn't be any different. Stockdale needs a legimate challenger for his position so that he is kept on his toes and earns his place.

In addition if we wanted 'just a backup' then Ankergren could do that with the option of a short term loan if DS was injured.

Sorry I disagree, although a staunch critic of DS last season as he didnt reach my expectation I believe that we should place him as No 1 and make him aware of this until such time as he continually f...s up then look again. I think that this would be a good psychological boost to him and he will respond accordingly. So the need is not for a challenger for him but an adequate cover, is CA adequate?

MHO you need competition in most positions but not GK I think you need an established man there.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Sorry I disagree, although a staunch critic of DS last season as he didnt reach my expectation I believe that we should place him as No 1 and make him aware of this until such time as he continually f...s up then look again. I think that this would be a good psychological boost to him and he will respond accordingly. So the need is not for a challenger for him but an adequate cover, is CA adequate?

MHO you need competition in most positions but not GK I think you need an established man there.

Utter rubbish !!

How can you tell a goalkeeper "no matter how shit you play you will still get a game" !!!

Whilst I'm not advocating switching to and fro in regards keepers the only way to keep people at the top of their game is with competition for places. Goalkeeper is no different to any other position

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Utter rubbish !!

How can you tell a goalkeeper "no matter how shit you play you will still get a game" !!!

Whilst I'm not advocating switching to and fro in regards keepers the only way to keep people at the top of their game is with competition for places. Goalkeeper is no different to any other position

You dont say that you say you are No 1 until you fail to produce the expected goods. Different approach and man management.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Adjusted for you.

I think a better adjustment would be:

You dont say that. You say "you are No 1 until you fail to produce the expected goods". This is a different approach and different form of man management.​

The problem with this approach, though, is that should he fail to produce our only other option is a keeper who is significantly worse - a keeper who was only brought in as back up should something happen to Stockdale. We would then have to go out and find another, better, goalie to improve our keeper options. Finding such a keeper mid-season will be more difficult - we'd be limited to short term emergency loans.

Buying a decent keeper now, who can challenge Stockdale, who would be a better option when Stockdale isn't producing, is the best option.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Definitely not - Brad Jones (like Richard Wright) is one of those players who has made the most of being 'homegrown'. Apparently BJ is on £25k a week at Liverpool at mo -even if he took a small pay cut it's more than you should spend on a back up goalie, especially when you look at who's also available on free's and the wages they would expect. Rather club went after Adam Bogdan or Ben Amos.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think a better adjustment would be:

You dont say that. You say "you are No 1 until you fail to produce the expected goods". This is a different approach and different form of man management.​

The problem with this approach, though, is that should he fail to produce our only other option is a keeper who is significantly worse - a keeper who was only brought in as back up should something happen to Stockdale. We would then have to go out and find another, better, goalie to improve our keeper options. Finding such a keeper mid-season will be more difficult - we'd be limited to short term emergency loans.

Buying a decent keeper now, who can challenge Stockdale, who would be a better option when Stockdale isn't producing, is the best option.

If that sutuation arose could we not go and get a loan like we did with Al Habsi rather than spend more big money on another keeper who may well be No 2. Can we not spend the money elsewhere strengthening the team.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here