Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

D Day

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The statistics for casualties in the first 24 hours on all sides is horrific, almost incomprehensible. As the OP says, never forget.

matbha

Apr 13, 2014
All the vets say they wernt brave just doing their job.well im glad i wasnt born then !brave men

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
They were fighting for our freedom, and even though they were doing a job as they call it, they were extremely brave men.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Uncle arrived on +8 or 9. So he got lucky. Although liberating Belsen was his dreadful mission. He rarely spoke about it.

It was interesting hearing an old soldier's response to the hopefully loaded question about whether the youngsters of nowadays would be prepared to do the same thing. "Yes, I think they would" was his response. I think they would too. But because of his type they probably won't have to.

Respect.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
My grandfather died on the 17th June 1940 at Dunkirk on the Lancastria, it happens to be my birthday.
RMS Lancastria (later HMT Lancastria)was a British Cunard liner commandeered by the UK Government for war. She was sunk on 17 June 1940 during World War II, sending at least 4,000 people to their deaths, and possibly many more. It is the greatest ever loss of life in the sinking of a single British ship. It had also the highest death toll for UK forces in a single engagement in the whole of World War II.
So what with my Dad, my Uncle, my Aunty's involvement in conflicts, perhaps you can ignore my sometimes over zealous patriotism :)
So yes, respect from me.

Last edited:

Dec 15, 2014
Here
There is a retired American newsreader/journo who calls that generation "The Greatest Generation" and it has pretty well stuck here in the states.

During a television broadcast of the Dodgers baseball game last night the Dodgers' telly man reminded his American audience that the Brit forces on D-Day were of the greatest proportion to their population. It was enough to make my chest swell and get a few hand pats on the back in the pub. It was one of those cop bars.

Soulman, my condolences and sincere thanks go out to you and your family for the service of your grandfather and his dedication to his king and country. Here, here!!

Last edited:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
My Grandfather was pulled out of his regiment in 1942 to be part of a team whose remit it was to start scouting locations for the landings. He and the team spent the next 18 months scouring virtually every concievable landing zone along the whole French coast (reviewing drawings, paintings, postcards and photographs as well as exploring some via submarine). When the time came for the landings themselves, he insisted on going in with his regiment.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Just imagine those doors going down on the landing craft. Machine gun fire all around. Not to mention the rough crossing. Brave men,brave indeed.:salute:

What age were they?:
Many were just boys!
Amazing people. RIP

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
My Grandfather was pulled out of his regiment in 1942 to be part of a team whose remit it was to start scouting locations for the landings. He and the team spent the next 18 months scouring virtually every concievable landing zone along the whole French coast (reviewing drawings, paintings, postcards and photographs as well as exploring some via submarine). When the time came for the landings themselves, he insisted on going in with his regiment.

Did he survive the war?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Just imagine those doors going down on the landing craft. Machine gun fire all around. Not to mention the rough crossing. Brave men,brave indeed.:salute:

yes the rough crossing doesn't really get mentioned enough

they nearly postponed it for 2 weeks,the next big tides

thankfully they had reasonable weather forecasts even back then

and as predicted a big storm arrived on the 19th June and destoryed the mulberry harbour at Omaha beach

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here