Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official Sir Bradley of Wiggo's Hour World Record attempt - Sunday 6pm, thread.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In what is the nicheiest of niche events, BW will be attempting to break the record for distance covered around the velodrome in one hour, it currently stands at 52.937km and is held by Alex Dowsett.

I'm not going to lie to you, it's hardly a spectator sport.
Although the metronomic way it's ridden can be a little hypnotising.

BW is hoping to 'put the record out of reach' which will hurt like hell.

Some might remember Chris Boardman and Graeme Obree dueling over this record in the 90's.

If anyone wants understand more there's a very good podcast here, that covers the event in it's entirety.

http://thecyclingpodcast.com/

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
It could be a hard watch, depends on how it is presented, regular time checks, history, back stories, guest pundits could break it up. I see BW reckons to be going to 56km, which he will do y getting up to speed and holding it there, I will be watching, hope its interesting, over to Sky Sport.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Wiggins sounded like a genuine bloke on Desert Island Discs, I wish him well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good luck to the fella. As for it being a "hard watch" Wiggins seems to know how to market this judging by his thoughts in The Guardian today.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I can't quite decide if I will watch it or not. I'm not a cycling fan but really like the guy and this attempt sounds quite interesting. I'll probably watch the last 10 minutes

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I remember when Chris Boardman did this. Lots of attention. As long as it doesn't clash with the F1 race. I suppose it could be worth sky+ it and then watch at double speed.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I can't quite decide if I will watch it or not. I'm not a cycling fan but really like the guy and this attempt sounds quite interesting. I'll probably watch the last 10 minutes

It's all about maintaining a speed. I think that switching on at 50 minutes you'll have missed any excitement / tension I'd expect that by that stage the record will either by nailed on, or already out of reach.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
I love track cycling but I can't get excited enough to watch this unless it's like 'It's a Knockout' and they put people in penguin costumes to try and knock him off his bike.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As Hans says it's not really a dip in and out of event, hence it not really being a, casual fan, spectator sport.

It's only about distance and time.
So on the one hand it's the very essence of a world record.
But conversely there is nothing happening but a bloke riding in a circle, and a clock ticking.

I watched Jens reset the record, and I was surprised how engrossing it was.
The slightest drop in time, wobble, move off line, becomes massive.
But that's due to being totally invested in the event.

The podcast is a good listen to get the full lowdown on a record that spans 100+ years.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I do have some painting I could do, and watching it dry might be more interesting.

I can however thoroughly recommend the Graeme Obree book - The Flying Scotsman. In fact, even the film version is good as well.

Criterium Dauphine starts tomorrow too, proper cycling viewing. :thumbsup:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
On the face of it this sounds a dull watch. On the other hand it also sounds ten times more interesting than the women's World Cup.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So he's going for 56 km..

Or 34.7 miles, in old money..

Or Brighton to Redhill..

On a bike.

Yikes.
You forgot to add, in an hour.

I doubt he'll do 56km, more like 54, which will be quite something.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bradley Wiggins will attempt the UCI Hour Record this Sunday at the Lee Valley VeloPark aboard a Pinarello Bolide HR. The bike was co-engineered by Jaguar and the Italian bicycle company, with Wiggins calling it "the most aerodynamic track bike I've ever ridden".

Wiggins' Bolide HR is based on Pinarello's road model with the distinctive difference being its one-piece titanium handlebar and frameset for aerodynamics.

"The UCI Hour Record is the toughest challenge of human performance in cycling, where every fraction of a second matters," Wiggins said. "I've worked with Jaguar's performance engineers since 2010, and their world class knowledge and experience in aerodynamics, combined with Pinarello's expert frame building, gives me confidence that I can set a new standard on Sunday."

Jaguar Land Rover’s engineers took the design and made a claimed overall aerodynamic performance increase of 7.5 percent. The engineers also used the same design methods used in the Jaguar XE, the company's “most aerodynamic car”, with all the components of the bike being examined for possible improvements.

The bike features a one-piece handlebar system created with laser sintering technology, with Wiggins' arm position optimised to reduce drag. The designers also narrowed the fork, bringing it closer to the front wheel in order to improve the air flow on the down tube and bottom bracket area along with the re-shaping of the chain ring and hubs for further aerodynamic benefits.

"Jaguar has a talented team of engineers with a great depth of aerodynamic knowledge, so we're very proud to be able to work on this collaboration with Pinarello," said John Pitman, principal CFD aerodynamicist at Jaguar Land Rover. "Applying this level of engineering capability and analysis to the development of bikes is still very new in cycling, and showcases the industry-leading expertise and facilities we have at Jaguar Land Rover."

Pinarello has a history of creating bikes for the UCI Hour Record having last done so for Miguel Indurain, Wiggins' childhood cycling hero, in developing the Pinarello Espada for the seven-time Grand Tour winner.

"I'm extremely honoured to be involved in creating this special Bolide HR for Bradley's Hour Record challenge, 20 years after the last model we designed for Miguel Indurain," said Pinarello CEO Fausto Pinarello. "Our relationship with Bradley, as well as Jaguar during our years as fellow partners of Team Sky continues to ensure Pinarello are creating world class, high performance bikes."

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It would be FAR more interesting if he tried it on one of these

200px-Pennyfarthing-1886.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here