Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does Brighton need a luxury 5 star hotel ? would it attract a better class of visitor.

nickrhodes

May 1, 2015
Noticed Brighton doesn't have any 5 star hotels. Nearest is the Grand which is a good 4 star. Do you guys think there is demand for a decent 5 star to attract more discerning visitors. Price for a good 5 star in Chelsea where I live is about £375 per night bed and breakfast. Would visitors pay that ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm wondering why you didn't just provide the link to the story ? Yes, we do - the standard of Brighton hotels is shockingly bad for a tourist town and conference town. I wouldn't even call the Grand a good 4 star. It's extremely shabby in many parts.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
The Grand has to be the most disappointing let down of a supposed 5 star hotel I've ever stayed in. As previous poster stated, not even a good 4 star & I have stayed in better B&B's.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm wondering why you didn't just provide the link to the story ? Yes, we do - the standard of Brighton hotels is shockingly bad for a tourist town and conference town. I wouldn't even call the Grand a good 4 star. It's extremely shabby in many parts.

Agree. There's some great places in the "boutique" sector but the two landmark hotels, The Grand and especially The Metropole do need some TLC.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Grand has to be the most disappointing let down of a supposed 5 star hotel I've ever stayed in. As previous poster stated, not even a good 4 star & I have stayed in better B&B's.

I seem to recall it didn't have any stars a few years ago. It's a shame as it's a wonderful and very famous landmark.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Where is this hotel ???

Contracts are currently been signed by Habour Hotels to purchase one of the seafront hotels. They will then refurbish it. They haven't said which hotel they are buying but my guess would be what was previously the Norfolk Hotel.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I can't really see any correlation between number of stars and how "good" a hotel is in terms of the basics - ie is the room nice. The nicest hotels I've stayed at were three or four stars. All five star ones were bland and corporate, but with conference facilities, spa, etc, so I think a five star hotel would attract a different, though not necessarily more discerning clientele - which couldn't be a bad thing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I haven't been inside the Grand for a good while - what's wrong with it these days?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
That old assumption that money buys class.

I'd rather have more affordable hotels built to encourage families from economically deprived areas of Britain.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Noticed Brighton doesn't have any 5 star hotels. Nearest is the Grand which is a good 4 star. Do you guys think there is demand for a decent 5 star to attract more discerning visitors. Price for a good 5 star in Chelsea where I live is about £375 per night bed and breakfast. Would visitors pay that ?

Yes we do. There is a lot of money 58 miles north of here just itching to be spent in this type of place...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Does the fact that The Grand is only 4* stop people coming to Brighton, I wouldnt think it does. It is not just the hotels being 5 star that would bring in more wealthy visitors but the ancillary restaurants, etc.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Kill two birds with one stone and build it next to the Amex !

nickrhodes

May 1, 2015

I'd rather have more affordable hotels built to encourage families from economically deprived areas of Britain.

Doesn't Sussex have Hastings for that clientele ?

With respect if you want to encourage more investment into Brighton and positive PR about Brighton, your idea would help turn the city into Blackpool. Suspect most people living in Brighton and Hove would hate that.

Maybe Hastings is more your scene ?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

There speaks someone who has to work for others (how was your last appraisal?) rather than earn their own income like all of the independent shop owners who need people with money to buy their goods not the economically deprived to window shop and bring their own chicken paste sandwiches & value cola to the beach

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here