Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Is it annoying that?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No but it's annoying that both Randy Meisner and Timothy B Schmidt left Poco, who were a better band than the Eagles and help propel them to superstardom whilst Poco never got the recognition for being the innovators of this style of music.

They are only known in the mainstream for this excellent offering

http://youtu.be/ZDKVnVTz8sY

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The Eagles were more successful and popular than A Flock of Seagulls?

Not really. The Eagles were an outstanding American rock band, and the Flock of Seagulls were a flatpack new wave group off the Liverpool production line.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I was something of a fan of Joe Walsh many years ago - solo work and the James Gang. I was with someone I had been with at school in my first year at University - 1972/3 - when someone told us he had joined the Eagles. We chorused, as if rehearsed, "what a waste".

Personally I think Hotel California is one of the biggest wastes of Vinyl ever.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
No but it's annoying that both Randy Meisner and Timothy B Schmidt left Poco, who were a better band than the Eagles and help propel them to superstardom whilst Poco never got the recognition for being the innovators of this style of music.

They are only known in the mainstream for this excellent offering

http://youtu.be/ZDKVnVTz8sY

Totally agree!!!!

Poco also included among their number Richie Furay And Jim Messina, who had previously been in Buffalo Springfield.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Lived off Hotel California, which they actually ripped off from someone else.

Did not know that, what was it ripped off from? As far as I knew it was written by Falder/Henley/Frey

Did not know that, what was it ripped off from? As far as I knew it was written by Falder/Henley/Frey[/QUOTE

Saw Jethro Tull in concert a few years ago. Ian Anderson spun a yarn about when they toured with the Eagles and drew our attention to the similarity to the intro to the Tull tune they then played, and the subsequently written "Hotel California". Any Tull fans care to enlighten further?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
D
Did not know that, what was it ripped off from? As far as I knew it was written by Falder/Henley/Frey[/QUOTE

Saw Jethro Tull in concert a few years ago. Ian Anderson spun a yarn about when they toured with the Eagles and drew our attention to the similarity to the intro to the Tull tune they then played, and the subsequently written "Hotel California". Any Tull fans care to enlighten further?

Probably true, but then the opening bars and the riff of Smells Like Teen Spirit is very similar to songs by both Boston and Led Zep, and possibly more. Not quite sure any constitute a rip off (except Led Zep of course who ripped off all their songs*). It happens with a lot of songs over the years, imitation the sincerest form of flattery?

Eg The Jam, Start ??? The Beatles, Taxman ???

*just getting that in there before someone else does.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
O

Ian Anderson is a very bright and switched on guy, do you not think he would have sued if there was more than an element of truth? Ripped off is a bit strong.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Trouble with Poco was that they struggled to write a good commercial tune, with one or two notable exceptions. The Eagles just churned them out one after another over a 4/5 album period. As for Flock of Seagulls ................?????

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Probably true, but then the opening bars and the riff of Smells Like Teen Spirit is very similar to songs by both Boston and Led Zep, and possibly more. Not quite sure any constitute a rip off (except Led Zep of course who ripped off all their songs*). It happens with a lot of songs over the years, imitation the sincerest form of flattery?

Eg The Jam, Start ??? The Beatles, Taxman ???

*just getting that in there before someone else does.

Lady Marmalade / Kinky Afro
Air That I Breathe / Creep
Gloria / Disco 2000
Imagine / Don't Look Back In Anger
It's A Sin / Wild World

...Are others that immediately spring to mind. It's pretty rare for any band not to sound like other bands and probably all musicians start off by learning to play the tunes they love. As long as they acknowledge the influence then I son't see the issue tbh.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
...anyway...Am I allowed to say that I like both bands? FoS had better hair, Eagles had better tunes.

For those on the fence, there are 2 Leeds bands I know of relevant to this thread. The Seagulls who play okayish pop and the slightly better and much noisier Eagulls. There's also a band called Brighton from Norway that got a mention in the matchday programme a few seasons back.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
...anyway...Am I allowed to say that I like both bands? FoS had better hair, Eagles had better tunes.

For those on the fence, there are 2 Leeds bands I know of relevant to this thread. The Seagulls who play okayish pop and the slightly better and much noisier Eagulls. There's also a band called Brighton from Norway that got a mention in the matchday programme a few seasons back.

There's a band from Scandanavia called Steve 'n Seagulls

http://youtu.be/F5m_8HuEBI4

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here