Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

albiongreatest@theargus.co.uk - Centre backs

Fulking Seagull

Mar 31, 2013
Fulking
The Argus are running an email vote for the best 2 centre backs to have played for the Albion. To vote to need to email: albiongreatest@theargus.co.uk

The choice is limited, for some reason, to Lawrenson, Foster, Stevens, Gatting, Greer, and Upson.

Its Lawro and Stevens for me. You need to vote soon apparently.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Neither Colin Hawkins, or Willie Young are listed.

Rubbish poll.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Foster and Lawrenson without a shadow. Stevens ok but lived off the back of the Cup final to a certain degree because he got Man of the Match. Not saying he was crap just not as good as the other two. Went away a lot in those days and Foster was always the rock especially after Lawro left.

The most annoyed I got all last season was when our centre backs let themselves get bullied by Troy Deeney against Watford at The Amex and it was only Bruno who gave some back. Foster would never have allowed that.

Last edited:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Not the greatest, but my favourite is Doug Rougvie. One of my first albion memories is the chants of "Dougie's gonna get ya" when an oppo player fouled one of ours....and he usually did!

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Not the greatest, but my favourite is Doug Rougvie. One of my first albion memories is the chants of "Dougie's gonna get ya" when an oppo player fouled one of ours....and he usually did!

Totally agree with this. He and Cullip have been my favourite CBs since I've been watching the Albion - perhaps not the best. That would probably Upson, Foster (even his veteran second spell with us), Ingimarsson or Simon Morgan maybe.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
How on earth fans of all ages can vote objectively on this I don't know. I don't know what the age profile of our fans is, but most will not know anything of the fifties, sixties and seventies, and a lot won't remember the 80s. The poll is just the Argus trying to fill space with more meaningless rubbish.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Foster and Lawrenson without a shadow. Stevens ok but lived off the back of the Cup final to a certain degree because he got Man of the Match. Not saying he was crap just not as good as the other two. Went away a lot in those days and Foster was always the rock especially after Lawro left.

The most annoyed I got all last season was when our centre backs let themselves get bullied by Troy Deeney against Watford at The Amex and it was only Bruno who gave some back. Foster would never have allowed that.

exactly this
but I did like Cross and Young .................but neither could hold a candle to Lauro and Fossie

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Simon Morgan only played one season (I think) but did not put a foot wrong.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Argus are running an email vote for the best 2 centre backs to have played for the Albion. To vote to need to email: albiongreatest@theargus.co.uk

The choice is limited, for some reason, to Lawrenson, Foster, Stevens, Gatting, Greer, and Upson.

Its Lawro and Stevens for me. You need to vote soon apparently.

The fact that TK and Calde are in our greatest ever team so far must mean it's Greer and Upson surely :wink:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
My memory must be going as I always thought of Gatting as a full back

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I think the 'best player' is Upson, shame he didn't stick around with us for a bit longer. What about a back three of Lawro, Foster and Upson.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here