Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] O/T Malaga to Nerja. Car hire. Transfers?

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Myself and the Missus are off to Nerja later this month and will be flying in to Malaga.

We've been looking at car hire however it seems a bit of a minefield and each provider seems to want a credit card from which they want to take a ridiculously large deposit. Neither of us has, or has ever had a credit card.
Does anyone know anywhere we can hire a car over there without needing a CC and getting ripped off of course.
Does anyone have any experience of the trains from Malaga to Nerja or maybe the bus service?

We're arriving midday ish on Monday and our flight back is early evening on Thursday so nothing out of the ordinary as far as times are concerned.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
No trains to Nerja but the buses are decent (or they were when I was last there 25 years ago)

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
No train service to Nerja. However get the train, every 20 mins., into Malaga Maria Zambrana station and walk out to your left for the bus station. Buses are frequent, airconditioned and cheap. You can hire a car without c/c locally but you would require a large deposit. Basically if doyouspain.com cannot help then it's buses. Can always pm. me if you have a problem, I'm very local.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No trains to Nerja but the buses are decent (or they were when I was last there 25 years ago)

Was there 2 years ago and we flew in to Malaga, had two nights there then caught the bus to Nerja, so still running and quite nice scenery too between all the home made green houses. After 3 days in Nerja we caught a coach to Granada and had two nights there while visiting the Allhambra, good times ! :thumbsup:

SuperWill

Feb 17, 2012
Hove
You can hire cars with a Visa debit with some providers if you take out the top up insurance with the provider. Did this a couple of weeks ago. Insurance costs about €140 extra for the week though. Did mine through indigo car hire spain who ended up booking us with Goldcar. You have to pay for a full tank of fuel on collection but they return what you don't use.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Been from Malaga to Nerja twice in the last five years - easily done on public transport, as per Boroseagull's post above. Doesn't hurt to know the bus times in advance - you can google those. The bus drops you in Nerja next to the taxi rank. Unless you're staying out of Nerja or right next to the sea, won't be more than a 20 minute walk to wherever you want to go, but there are the taxis if you don't want to walk. Try to include a day in Malaga if you can - fascinating place.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Thanks everyone for the advice. I think we'll just take the bus and relax.
Thanks again.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Random, going in a couple of weeks ourselves, though we're going to jerez, Cordoba and granada too so definitely hiring a car. It's £120 for ten days with Budget which seems pretty good. Yes you do need to pay a deposit on a credit card, but provided you get excess waiver insurance from somewhere else before you go this isn't a problem.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Spooky. We're going to Nerja later this year, and I asked a friend who had an apartment out there the very same question last week.

Her answer was: Get a bus from the airport to Malaga bus terminal from right outside the airport then from there straight to Nerja takes about 90mins

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here