Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FiFA bunged the Irish a few Euros to forget about the Henry handball

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Fifa paid the Football Association of Ireland (FAI) to stop legal action over Thierry's Henry's handball in Ireland's World Cup play-off defeat by France in 2009, it has been claimed.

FAI chief executive John Delaney said the association believed it had a legal case against Fifa.

A fee of 5 million euros (£3.6m) was then agreed to drop a case against the organisation, Delaney said.

Ireland failed to reach the finals after the referee missed the handball.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yeah I was reading about that on the Telegraph site half an hour ago.

It doesn't feel much like a game at the moment does it?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Wow. I don't know what I find more upsetting, that FIFA paid off their concerns under the table or that the FAI were willing to take the legal route over what was essentially a refereeing mistake. Once the genie's our of that bottle I can't imagine it'll ever go back in.

Macca the attacker

Apr 7, 2010
Surely Fifa has to be disbanded and a new body formed. I don't think these scandals are gonna end anytime soon and that's not even mentioning all the shocking human rights violations taking place in Qatar just to build the fancy stadiums!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Wow. I don't know what I find more upsetting, that FIFA paid off their concerns under the table or that the FAI were willing to take the legal route over what was essentially a refereeing mistake. Once the genie's our of that bottle I can't imagine it'll ever go back in.

Have to agree with you. Very poor attitude from the Irish. Perhaps we can get a larger payment from Fifa to cover the handball in 86!! We all hate crap refereeing decisions but you have to accept it. The moment associations start thinking that they can just sue then then that really is the end of the sport. The end of the season will be decided by a court rather than on the pitch when clubs that perceive they were hard done by seek recourse in the courts and try to get results overturned.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Dunno, I think there could be a great board game based on this.

I might put a PITCH to Dragon's Den "Play Bunga Bunga. You're in charge of a World Cup finals bid, land on the Old Bent Road and pay Jack Warner $1million for CONCACAF support, draw a Chance card and have a first class air fare and five star hotel fact finding trip to Qatar, land on the Go To Jail square and lose unless you wear a wire etc......

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Have to agree with you. Very poor attitude from the Irish. Perhaps we can get a larger payment from Fifa to cover the handball in 86!! We all hate crap refereeing decisions but you have to accept it. The moment associations start thinking that they can just sue then then that really is the end of the sport. The end of the season will be decided by a court rather than on the pitch when clubs that perceive they were hard done by seek recourse in the courts and try to get results overturned.

Does that mean we can sue Gordon Smith for 'that' miss?

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Dunno, I think there could be a great board game based on this.

I might put a PITCH to Dragon's Den "Play Bunga Bunga. You're in charge of a World Cup finals bid, land on the Old Bent Road and pay Jack Warner $1million for CONCACAF support, draw a Chance card and have a first class air fare and five star hotel fact finding trip to Qatar, land on the Go To Jail square and lose unless you wear a wire etc......

You joke, but the Italian version of Monopoly is just like this - being able to buy a property is down to the whim of the authorities and a lucky dice roll

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Does anyone else feel that the NI FA are pretty guilty here too?

Kept quiet about the payoff and suddenly announce it now?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'd rather SUE for the RETURN of the PROCEEDS

The PROCEEDS can be seen if you fly in a BALLOON over Malaga. Just look for the WONDERBRA shaped swimming pool and the bloke claiming to be Father Christmas standing by the diving board.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I will be claiming a personal payout from FIFA for Frank Lampard's goal that wasn't given in 2010 because the Ref missed it going over the line. It ruined my day and was all Blatter's fault for holding back goal line technology.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Yeah I was reading about that on the Telegraph site half an hour ago.

Pretty much this really , just grubby and unpleasant .

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Of course it wasn't a refereeing mistake.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
I will be claiming a personal payout from FIFA for Frank Lampard's goal that wasn't given in 2010 because the Ref missed it going over the line. It ruined my day and was all Blatter's fault for holding back goal line technology.
My Great Uncle Dieter will be claiming for 66 ,he lost 12 Deutsch marks that day.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here