Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Random Breath test

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just been stopped on what was the A272 ( now B2272) going into Haywards Heath and wife was asked if she had been drinking which she hadnt so no problem. Is this a good idea taking into account people having BBQs etc. I think that it is as I never have even 1 drink and then drive. What is other peoples opinions?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Just been stopped on what was the A272 ( now B2272) going into Haywards Heath and wife was asked if she had been drinking which she hadnt so no problem. Is this a good idea taking into account people having BBQs etc. I think that it is as I never have even 1 drink and then drive. What is other peoples opinions?

Simple here,Why were stopped ? Secondly BBQ,s were you are at a Focus Car Boot Sale ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I didn't think they were allowed to stop you without ANY cause for suspicion, but personally don't object.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

It's a popular dogging site, people often get stopped there - especially at this time of year.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Random stopping of vehicles is perfectly legit to establish whether someone has been drinking...random breath tests is not legit. There is a subtle difference. If you think about the Christmas Drink/Drive campaigns, it is simply being repeated (under a summer campaign badge).

Not a problem as far as I am concerned, if it saves 1 life or stops an injury RTC, then its all worthwhile

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I didn't think they were allowed to stop you without ANY cause for suspicion, but personally don't object.

They can stop you at any moment they want to if you're driving a motor vehicle on a road, in order to establish who is driving and their qualifications to do so.

They can require a breath test from you for one of three reasons: (1) they suspect you've consumed alcohol (2) you've committed a moving traffic offence (3) you've been involved in a road traffic collision.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They can stop you at any moment they want to if you're driving a motor vehicle on a road, in order to establish who is driving and their qualifications to do so.

They can require a breath test from you for one of three reasons: (1) they suspect you've consumed alcohol (2) you've committed a moving traffic offence (3) you've been involved in a road traffic collision.

Thanks. So asking if BG's wife had been drinking is okay then. If there HAD been a 'random breath test' that would not.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Thanks. So asking if BG's wife had been drinking is okay then. If there HAD been a 'random breath test' that would not.

Well. I'd ask if she'd had a drink. If she said yes, I'd test her. If she said no, but I could smell alcohol in the car, or she displayed other evidence of having had something to drink, (or taken drugs) I'd test her anyway.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well. I'd ask if she'd had a drink. If she said yes, I'd test her. If she said no, but I could smell alcohol in the car, or she displayed other evidence of having had something to drink, (or taken drugs) I'd test her anyway.

Sure. But if she smelled of alcohol or displayed other evidence of having had a drink, then your test would no longer be 'random'.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sure. But if she smelled of alcohol or displayed other evidence of having had a drink, then your test would no longer be 'random'.

Nope. No random tests. Random stops, but no random tests.

Equally, you could go through a red light, or have a brake light out, or fail to wear your seatbelt, all of which would provide a police officer with grounds to require a breath specimen, which, if you refused to provide, you could be arrested for.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I fully support the police in any anti drink / drug driving initiaves. Better to be safe than sorry. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't had to attend a fatal road traffic accident. (I haven't, but I can imagine it's one of the worse jobs of being a police/paramedic/fireman. Respect to the services from me.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There'll be plenty of roadside drug tests this summer, given the new legislation which came into force in March :thumbsup:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Nope. No random tests. Random stops, but no random tests.

Equally, you could go through a red light, or have a brake light out, or fail to wear your seatbelt, all of which would provide a police officer with grounds to require a breath specimen, which, if you refused to provide, you could be arrested for.

Re. Brake lights out, you would think that manufacturers should be compelled by law to put warning signs up on the dashboard if one fails!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Re. Brake lights out, you would think that manufacturers should be compelled by law to put warning signs up on the dashboard if one fails!

Some cars have that function (BMWs for example). And I think most cars will do that thing where the indicators flash really rapidly if one of them has blown.

Not on BMWs, obviously, as they don't require them.

Just kidding, BMW drivers of the board :wave:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think its fair for the police to assume that Ben's Grandad's wife would have been drinking behind the wheel, mind you, there are obvious mitigating circumstances.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
I've watched enough motorway police shows to know these measures are very necessary. Don't take it personally, OP. It's just routine police stuff that gets the real offenders off the road.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
RBT's are a way of life here and are conducted routinely on a daily basis over here, as well as random roadside drug testing.
There are also 'booze buses', which appear randomly at road sides for a period of time and then move on to other sites around the clock.
I think that they are a good idea and a good deterrent as you never know where they are until you come across them, by which time it is too late to change direction and they have motorcycle cops keeping close watch on the oncoming traffic to stop anyone trying to get away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here