Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help needed on skateboards...please

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 2719

I am a skateboard virgin, well almost!
My son wants a skateboard and from my limited knowledge back from the 80's it was all about the quality of the roller bearings.

Please can you give me recommendation for a board for an 8/9 year old that they will still feel able to use a few years down the line?

Is there a beginners board? Are there fast boards,trick boards?

Is it to late for a 51 year old to start.:banana:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
My son wants a skateboard and from my limited knowledge back from the 80's it was all about the quality of the roller bearings.

Please can you give me recommendation for a board for an 8/9 year old that they will still feel able to use a few years down the line?

Get down to Oddballs in Brighton if you can.
You could get a fairly decent set-up for a 9 year old for around £50.00 - Although unsure what your budget it.

You want a light standard sized deck, good bearings (a-bec 5/7), light but solid trucks and some nice soft rubber wheels.

It's never too late! :rave:

Robservations

Feb 1, 2015
For an 8/9 year old gnarly 'ripper' you got a couple of options I'd say, Mouldy Boots. There isn't really such thing as a beginners board unfortunately.

1) A penny board - they're small and a lot of kids seem to ride these and good if they just want to cruise around and not do any tricks - they look like this - http://www.routeone.co.uk/penny-original-2013-classic-series-cruiser-6-x-22-6.html - they're like mini longboards (which are fast).
2) If they want to do ridiculously named tricks such as 'ollies' and 'bonelesses' or 'hardflips' and 'casper slides' down at The Level or crack their head open trying to drop in on a half pipe/ramp then one like this - http://www.routeone.co.uk/route-one-x-pig-arch-logo-complete-8-1.html (you'll note the Abec 5 bearings which are more than suffice to do the job).

The latter is made of layers of maple and if used regularly and rigorously will eventually suffer great wear and tear and possibly even a fatal 'snap'. The penny board is plastic and, being used mostly for cruising around on, will probably last longer I would have thought.

Never too late to start...

D

Deleted member 22389

Used to sk8board in the 80's and loved it. I really hope my daughter wants to get a skateboard at some point. I'm 40 years old but looking for any excuse to try out the new concrete ramps in Peacehaven. It's never too late in my opinion.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
I'm 45 and bought myself a longboard for just cruising along. I feel I'm too old for most of the tricks and stunts but enjoy just whizzing along the seafront. My kids ride their bikes or scooters as they got bored of their skateboards. They still point at the highest ramp at a skatepark and try to get me to go down it !!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
For an 8/9 year old gnarly 'ripper' you got a couple of options I'd say, Mouldy Boots. There isn't really such thing as a beginners board unfortunately.

1) A penny board - they're small and a lot of kids seem to ride these and good if they just want to cruise around and not do any tricks - they look like this - http://www.routeone.co.uk/penny-original-2013-classic-series-cruiser-6-x-22-6.html - they're like mini longboards (which are fast).
2) If they want to do ridiculously named tricks such as 'ollies' and 'bonelesses' or 'hardflips' and 'casper slides' down at The Level or crack their head open trying to drop in on a half pipe/ramp then one like this - http://www.routeone.co.uk/route-one-x-pig-arch-logo-complete-8-1.html (you'll note the Abec 5 bearings which are more than suffice to do the job).

The latter is made of layers of maple and if used regularly and rigorously will eventually suffer great wear and tear and possibly even a fatal 'snap'. The penny board is plastic and, being used mostly for cruising around on, will probably last longer I would have thought.

Love that website! Almost got me thinking.......

And still some iconic brands from way back.....Bones, Independent.....but no Kryps :down:

D

Deleted member 2719

You could get a fairly decent set-up for a 9 year old for around £50.00 - Although unsure what your budget it.

You want a light standard sized deck, good bearings (a-bec 5/7), light but solid trucks and some nice soft rubber wheels.

£50.00 is bang on budget so thanks for your help Stoneham.

Many thanks for all your detailed advice observations.
Kryptonics.
I think I remember them from the 80's sound very superman like!
Used to sk8board in the 80's and loved it. I really hope my daughter wants to get a skateboard at some point. I'm 40 years old but looking for any excuse to try out the new concrete ramps in Peacehaven. It's never too late in my opinion.
The question is bashlsdir do the oldies wear a cardie and slippers out on the ramps?? Its all very Britain's got talent!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

I agree with this, I've never been a boarder but numerous friends have been/are and Oddballs was a regular trip for a while.

They're also really handy if anyone decides to take up juggling which, as everyone knows, is the true extreme sport...

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

I'm 48 and stated skating again two years ago. I have a Lush longboard, it's awesome. I'm skating more than i was when i got it.

This!

This!
Kryptonics.
I had some wonderful Kryptonics from the 70's. Kept them and my old penny board type board but lost it in the past few years. [emoji25]

It's never too late in my opinion.

And this!

I'm 45 and bought myself a longboard for just cruising along. I feel I'm too old for most of the tricks and stunts but enjoy just whizzing along the seafront.

Exactly, except i am in Eastbourne and i presume you are in Brighton.

And still some iconic brands from way back.....Bones, Independent.....but no Kryps :down:

Kryptonics still exist but the company was bought out and they are no longer the dogs unfortunately. 😨

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

I made the same offer to Stat Brother, I've an old set up kicking around somewhere (at my Mum's I think?), still got plenty of life left in it, I bought it years ago from Bud skate shop in Caen, if you want it for your lad or yourself you're more than welcome to it. It doesn't have any flash graphics, from what I remember it has Venture trucks and decent bearings and wheels, the deck is Bud own brad, like the ones Route One do.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
My old school friend Simon runs Level Skateboards opposite the skate park - really knows his stuff and would be able to point you in the right direction with regards to boards, wheels etc. for your lad. Also sells the clothing, trainers etc. if you want to look the part....

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Blime that takes me back.

Started, must have been c1978 with a blue Coyote (I think!) from the cluttered toy shop in Portland Road.

Moved up c1980 to a Santa Cruz deck, ACS 580 trucks and OJ wheels-all from Alpine Sports in Western Road.

That was a huge craze that stuck for years.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Yes, try one of these. Watch out for Biff Tannen & his chums though.

tumblr_mijsz2kCt61r4m62io1_500.gif

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Have you thought about a retro skateboard. The most popular is called a penny skateboard but they are over £100. These boards are cruiser boards not used for not tricks. I bought d-street one for my daughter it's good quality. I did upgrade the wheel bearings. There was a company called "Brighton Skateboards" that made these boards as well.

You can pickup a d-street for about £50

I don't think Brighton Skateboards exists anymore you maybe able to pick one up on Ebay. But they are the same style as the D-Street

https://youtu.be/NFuXnhmBghY

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here