Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Naming rights

vauxhallexile

Jul 31, 2003
Anyone know if there is any public information out there on how much American Express paid in naming rights for the Amex (and if known the training ground?) Have seen a previous post on NSC referring to £4.5 million for 10 years for the Amex itself....

Realise the club officially have not released any details.

Why do people think information like this is likely to be announced by the club? It's confidential, commercially sensitive information. Even if you read something in the press or see something on TV it's only likely to be someone's estimate.

This sort of information is likely to be known only by a few people at the club and a few people at the sponsor. Yes it will appear in the accounts of both but almost certainly as part of an overall figure. Even then payment may be spread over a number of years.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Have heard from a reputable source within Amex, that there is an option to renew after five years. I would suggest that either being in the premier league or very much looking like we are going to be there is crucial for the continuation of the Amex sponsorship at the end of next season...

That said, I reckon PB would relish the opportunity to renegotiate the contract himself with another decent sponsor, and would expect him to attract a decent calibre sponsor.

Have heard from a reputable source within Amex, that there is an option to renew after five years. I would suggest that either being in the premier league or very much looking like we are going to be there is crucial for the continuation of the Amex sponsorship at the end of next season...
That's quite at odds with the story I heard, which is that Amex were only interested in the Albion sponsorship deal because they wanted to be seen to be supporting very high quality endeavour at the community level.

If Amex were interested in backing sporting success, there would be examples of their sponsorship all over the world and in a range of sports. As far as I know, there are no such examples.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
That's quite at odds with the story I heard, which is that Amex were only interested in the Albion sponsorship deal because they wanted to be seen to be supporting very high quality endeavour at the community level.

If Amex were interested in backing sporting success, there would be examples of their sponsorship all over the world and in a range of sports. As far as I know, there are no such examples.
You are right it's about the community involvement.however if Brighton got to the premiership I wonder if the fee would go up.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007

What you heard is correct, that played a big part I'm sure. However, you are naive if you think that was the sole reason for involvement for a huge multi-national corporation. My hunch is they were expecting to be gaining brand elevation from the club being in the premier league by now. The US executives would be more inclined to continue or enhance the sponsorship if they were seeing the Albion live on TV at the weekend!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Am I right in thinking that the money from the deal goes to AITC? Sure I heard someone from the club mention this was the case at the start - DK maybe?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here