Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Education and Adoption Bill

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This piece of legislation frightens me as it's impact is far reaching and could dramatically change our educational landscape over the next 5 years.

As a School Governor myself, the demonising of Local Authority Education Departments is particularly frightening when the skill sets we enjoy in our own City are mostly of a high standard with wide ranging skills offered to it's schools. We also have schools forming local mutual beneficial alliances such as the Portslade Cluster where schools share experience, training, staff and governor skills.

There doesn't seem to be any convincing evidence that pulling a school out of it's local elected council control has any real benefit or delivers greater success. In my own school we were put in special measures and resisted being made an academy. With local authority support, a change in leadership, and a new governing body saw this school transformed within 6 months. It wouldn't have happened that quickly had the school been forced down a path of academy status.

Academy status may suit some institutions, but this bill seeks to force that change in a very undemocratic way. Schools needs support, help, leadership and funding to pull them out of trouble. Whether they are local authority schools or academies, that support is what transforms a school, not simply switching the status of it.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
There are two distinct elements to The Education and Adoption Bill and I am worried that both will suffer as a result of being "lumped" into the same bill.
The adoption process has needed strong review for many years but I fear that the shitstorm that will ensue from changes in education and the creation of academies will deflect from the improvements required within social services to give more children in care the chance to be brought up within a family.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm surprised more teachers are not leaving to teach in countries where the pay and respect are much much higher and the meddling a lot lower.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm surprised more teachers are not leaving to teach in countries where the pay and respect are much much higher and the meddling a lot lower.

It was amazing at our school that essentially the school was fine, however the head and governing body at the time were failing. The local authority acted, an executive head was created from another local successful school and a new head of school appointed. Under the existing staff the standards of teaching improved dramatically through empowering the staff throughout the school to take greater leadership roles. Within a year or so, we are expecting an Ofsted to be Good, with many areas Outstanding. It is a real success story which happened through a committed new governing body, an executive head bringing a recognised skill set and a new head able to motivate and run the school, all under the careful guidance and assistance of the local authority.

It is probably the exact opposite to what the Education Secretary wants everyone to hear.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The Tories view LEA's in the same light as the former nationalised industries. Greed is Good.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This piece of legislation frightens me as it's impact is far reaching and could dramatically change our educational landscape over the next 5 years.

As a School Governor myself, the demonising of Local Authority Education Departments is particularly frightening when the skill sets we enjoy in our own City are mostly of a high standard with wide ranging skills offered to it's schools. We also have schools forming local mutual beneficial alliances such as the Portslade Cluster where schools share experience, training, staff and governor skills.

There doesn't seem to be any convincing evidence that pulling a school out of it's local elected council control has any real benefit or delivers greater success. In my own school we were put in special measures and resisted being made an academy. With local authority support, a change in leadership, and a new governing body saw this school transformed within 6 months. It wouldn't have happened that quickly had the school been forced down a path of academy status.

Academy status may suit some institutions, but this bill seeks to force that change in a very undemocratic way. Schools needs support, help, leadership and funding to pull them out of trouble. Whether they are local authority schools or academies, that support is what transforms a school, not simply switching the status of it.

I'd share these exact concerns.

It looks like an attempt at partial privatisation - or at least removal from LEA control - by the back door. If Academies were the panacea for failing schools then I'd have no issue with it, but they're not, so I do.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'd share these exact concerns.

It looks like an attempt at partial privatisation - or at least removal from LEA control - by the back door. If Academies were the panacea for failing schools then I'd have no issue with it, but they're not, so I do.

It's all one-way. If LEA controlled schools are deemed to be failing they get shunted into academy status; if academies are deemed to be failing they get shunted nowhere and remain as academies. So, our new majority government do think academies are panaceas. Which, as you indicate, they are not.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Bold Seagull, I've given you a couple of "thumbs up" after letting my teacher daughter read (and applaud) your posts. Like all sane people she is worried that the politicians and accountants will impose their will against the wishes and advice of the actual professionals who do the job day in, day out, at the sharp end.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent

They are leaving teaching. There is already a high drop out rate amongst recently qualified teachers, others are leaving early and there is a shortage of suitable candidates for headship which won't raise standards. A teacher shortage is not going to be an easy sell to parents over the next five years. Talking up reforms and academisation without real evidence of improvements has gone unchallenged so far but is not a sustainable long term strategy for this government.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
But what about finishing at 3:30, and the long holidays?............but enough of the MP's who drafted this bilge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here