Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe Ward has signed for the Development Squad

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
A nice positive piece from his former manager (taken from 2014)

Mark Hawkes hails Joe Ward after Chelmsford City's Whitehawk win

Chelmsford City manager Mark Hawkes believes there is "no limit" to where young winger Joe Ward can play in his career.

The 18-year-old set up the first two goals as the Clarets beat Whitehawk 4-0 on Saturday.

Ward has been a revelation since coming into the team under Hawkes, and the manager was thrilled with his impact at the Enclosed Ground.

"That young man, there’s no limit to where he can play," he said. "He does nothing wrong outside of football, outside of coming to Chelmsford he does everything absolutely right – he eats right, he trains right and he doesn’t get dragged in when his mates are going up the pub.

"He wants to be a professional footballer and that kid, if he keeps going he will be."

Whitehawk started well on the south coast, but Ward teed up Rob Edmans and then Luke Callander in the space of three minutes to make it 2-0 before half-time.

And a completely dominant second-half showing with the slope was eventually rewarded with two further goals for recent signing Michael Cheek as City earned their biggest win of the season.

"It was a fantastic performance," Hawkes added. "We showed great grit and determination.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He looked very good playing against Stoke U21s at the Amex, so pleased that we've signed him. He beat Whitehawk so he must be good, eh, ken tiler?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good to see the club complete its summer transfer business nice and early this year.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Big surname to live up to. But at least you know when he shoots he will score.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We are going to be brilliant in 5 years time

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I really wish the lad well, as this is where a big chunk of our future is coming from.

But talk about people ignoring the whole truth, trialled with both Ipswich and Brentford, twice overlooked by West Ham. The whole picture please!

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I really wish the lad well, as this is where a big chunk of our future is coming from.

But talk about people ignoring the whole truth, trialled with both Ipswich and Brentford, twice overlooked by West Ham. The whole picture please!

This happens and has happened to some of the best players in the world. Sometimes several unsuccessful trials before getting a big break.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I think this is a really positive signing. Ok, time will tell if he makes it into the first team, but it's the right sort of signing for planning for the future. By all accounts he's done very well at Chelmsford, hopefully he'll now do well at this level. This signing doesn't deserve any negativity - the established first team signings we all want will come in due course, I have faith!

Good luck Joe and welcome to the Albion!

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia

Every silver lining has a cloud eh?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I saw him play last season for Chelmsford where they played him mostly on the wing. Good feet, quick and at 19 was already shining at what is a tough level of football, got a good shot on him too. Will be interesting whether he is being bought in to see how he gets on in the development squad, or whether he is already pushing for a look at the first team. Big step obviously, but he was an undoubted talent last season who West Ham amoung others we're looking at. Might be one of those that does have a chance at breaking through - lets hope so, and best of luck Joe!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here