Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] It has been reported uefa may break away from fifa and hold a rival tournament.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
This would need all the countries to be in unity. Can't see it happening.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Well we already know Russia won't break away.

I wonder if they'd need every country to join, maybe just get some of the big guns (Germany, France, Spain, Netherlands etc.) and see what happens, I'm sure some of the minnows (Scotland) would follow suit.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It is believed that both Spain and France voted for Blatter.

But this is not a breakaway world cup as such, it is a European Championship with invited teams from other continents. So if they invite the likes of Brazil, Argentina etc, this could have some legs - it is more likely to succeed than to create a rival world cup I would think . No-one likes the French anyway, so they are no loss. :)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It is believed that both Spain and France voted for Blatter.

But this is not a breakaway world cup as such, it is a European Championship with invited teams from other continents. So if they invite the likes of Brazil, Argentina etc, this could have some legs - it is more likely to succeed than to create a rival world cup I would think . No-one likes the French anyway, so they are no loss. :)

As I said else where, you threaten them with a ban from the CL and you watch the French and Spanish FAs come running

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Not necessarily. If you have the main countries on board, France, Germany, Italy, Holland, Belgium, England, Spain and Portugal then plenty of minor countries will follow. Probably not Russia and some of their 'subordinates' but then they will be marginalised because their tournament in 2018 will be missing key European teams. If the likes of Brazil and Argentina were persuaded to join then that could make the new Euro tournament snowball. Likely that USA and Australia would also join in. Sponsors of Fifa would be torn but which tournament do you think the TV companies would want to broadcast? We may see an African country win the world cup but it would be an empty win.

That said, I'm not convinced Platini is whiter than white and doubt he is seriously considering withdrawing Uefa from Fifa.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
i think it would only really take a few of the big guys to be in unity....the money would follow them as would the smaller guys

Agree although I think it would be more a case of TV going with the most attractive tournament and then the sponsors would follow that as it would likely have the bigger audience.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Agree although I think it would be more a case of TV going with the most attractive tournament and then the sponsors would follow that as it would likely have the bigger audience.

Sponsors will go with the Tournament with the most positive publicity.

They would be all over a new world cup to try and clean up football

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Money ruins everything doesn't it.

If the World Cup ever becomes anything other than the World Cup, then football truly is dead.

Not dead. Finally evolving for the good of the game. This is the best possible thing to be happening right now.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Not necessarily. If you have the main countries on board, France, Germany, Italy, Holland, Belgium, England, Spain and Portugal then plenty of minor countries will follow. Probably not Russia and some of their 'subordinates' but then they will be marginalised because their tournament in 2018 will be missing key European teams. If the likes of Brazil and Argentina were persuaded to join then that could make the new Euro tournament snowball. Likely that USA and Australia would also join in. Sponsors of Fifa would be torn but which tournament do you think the TV companies would want to broadcast? We may see an African country win the world cup but it would be an empty win.

That said, I'm not convinced Platini is whiter than white and doubt he is seriously considering withdrawing Uefa from Fifa.

They may not have to break away from FIFA to do this anyway. If they held it every 2 years, but not in a World Cup Year, you could build support for it up over time. UEFA countries could then decide whether to play in the FIFA World Cup or not if FIFA refuse to change their ways (they could play, but send a non-league team or something!). Hopefully though, FIFA will change their ways sooner rather than later to make this unnecessary.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I can't imagine it would, he still seems to have strong support from the majority of nations, including the non-European giants.

If no UEFA nations go to the World Cup it would be a huge dent to the prestige and probably sponsorship, but if it meant that teams such as China and India were to qualify in those new spaces instead...well, FIFA may not mind so much.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I could see it happening, England France Spain Italy & holland all united together forming a breakaway but at the last minute Italy would probable return back to FIFA

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
The fact that the next World Cup is actually in Europe means I can't see it happening. Russia openly voted for Blatter whereas UEFA tried to get all its member countries to vote against him, but I still can't see UEFA going against one of its own.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I can't imagine it would, he still seems to have strong support from the majority of nations, including the non-European giants.

In a lot of countries bribery is accepted as a normal part of doing business and in many others a blind eye is turned; there's a lot of the world looking on with amusement at the fuss the Americans & Northern Europeans are making over such a (to them) minor matter.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
This is great news. Imagine a scenario where an alternative World Cup is held. Every major European nation would be on board with the exception of a few and many of the worlds other great footballing nations would (you'd imagine) want to join. It would be a celebration against corruption. A REAL football tournament.

If FIFA carry on with their own World Cup it wouldn't matter. Winning that tournament will be a hollow victory for whoever joins.

I really REALLY hope this happens. **** you Blatter you can keep Fifa. Russia, France and all of Africa can fight it out to be crowned glorious World champions of a corrupt tournament which nobody would give a shit about.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Trouble is I don't see the main countries all being on board.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here