Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - Windows 10, is it worth upgrading?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I've just turned on my laptop which is running windows 7, and I'm happy with it, still working perfectly but today there's a new little icon on the the bar at the bottom telling me to get Win 10.

My parents have a newer lappy, that is running Windows 8 and I hate it. Is 10 like 8? Shall I upgrade? Anyone know what it's like and used it yet?

I know the basics but Win8 is completely different to 7.....

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I've heard 10 is more user friendly and more similar to 7 regarding the interface. I would! :wink:

Not as good as that Apple gear though.........

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I wouldn't know. Only use Apple for the phone and iPod at work. If Apple were that good why does Microsoft still exist?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
After all that it's a pre release offer and not actually available yet!

I thought I'd take the plunge and get it but it won't be available until July 29th......

Should be ready for when I next turn it on I suppose.....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Definitely worth upgrading. Go for a Mac running Yosemite.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Know several people that have tried the betas and good reviews so far, although I will wait until the initial reaction once officially released but for free looks promising.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I found Windows 8 fine, once I'd installed the tweak to make it look like Windows 7 :whistle:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Should be ready for when I next turn it on I suppose.....

dont touch it for at least 3 months for the bugs and glitches to be ironed out.

Mac has a better rep because it is only available for a half dozen configurations of known hardware, with a relativly tiny number of software packages. theres simply less thing it has to take account of, so its easier to get right.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
You really should try Ubuntu Linux.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
The early vibes seem to be positive but you've got a year to take up the free upgrade offer so plenty of time to hear how it pans out both anecdotally and technically before having to decide.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Have reserved my copy of Windows 10, will probably leave it a couple of days after release to install though (on a separate partition), Keep meaning to try Linux as well again (about three years since I last tried) - was OK but just didn't have the knowledge level at the time to get the best out of it.

Macs are great I guess if you don't mind spending a little more and you don't really want to tinker.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think the only issue I had with a windows operating system was when I got a new computer shortly after Vista was released, and aol broadband via virgin media wouldn't work, which was the final straw and led to moving over to sky for tv and broadband.

Other than that I don't think I've ever understood why people were so negative about some and positive about others. They all seemed like much of a muchness.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
It's not available yet but yes when it releases it'll be a worthwhile upgrade over Windows 7 & 8

Yoda

English & European
I think the only issue I had with a windows operating system was when I got a new computer shortly after Vista was released, and aol broadband via virgin media wouldn't work, which was the final straw and led to moving over to sky for tv and broadband.

Other than that I don't think I've ever understood why people were so negative about some and positive about others. They all seemed like much of a muchness.

The biggest problem with Vista was the amount of processing memory it used. 7 Uses double that of XP, and Vista used nearly double again. Unless you had a powerful machine, Vista was pretty much unusable.

As for 8, I thought it was only worth having if you had a touch screen device. 10 combines the best of 8 & 7, proper desktop with start menu, and your apps menu in here, being just on of the examples.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
As it's meant to be free then I'll likely upgrade my laptop to 10 (from 7) as it needs some work anyway, it'll be like giving it a fresh start.

For my lovely gaming desktop, I'm sticking with 7 for as long as possible. 8 is an abomination (comparatively) and I've no urge to move on until any major initial wrinkles have been found and sorted.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here