Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Eating out of date food

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Not usually a good idea but I found a big sharing bag of Tyrell's Tortilla Chips in the back of the larder this morning. The best before date was 5th December 2014. It would have gone straight in the bin being that far out of date but :I opened up to see if they were stale. To my surprise they were fine to eat and were not off at all.

How far to you go to eat things after it's sell by/best before date? Fresh food seems fine a couple of days over, depending what it is.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
It's generally acknowledged by the food manufacturers and retailers that sell-by dates are total b.....ks.

Most things are safe to eat well after even the use-by date, never mind the sell-by date. I only really worry about fresh animal products, milk, butter and so on. Veg - just cut off the manky bits. Dried food, only chuck it away if it tastes too bad to eat. Tinned food lasts for ever.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
People throw away way too much stuff. I eat plenty of stuff the guidelines say you should chuck and I never get food poisoning. Maybe I just have a strong stomach

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont know how true it is but I was told by the quality control manager for Maynards (wine gums) that they make and bag gums for most of the supermarkets and the law only allows a date of 12 months so when nearing that date they remove them and repackage them with a new date and a code telling how many times it has been repackaged. They apparently can legally do this 3 times so the sweets although in date could be up to 4 years old but still be perfectly edible and in good condition. I cannot see a reason for telling me this if not true. I must add this was about 15 years ago so laws and practice may have changed since then

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Might think twice about this, but then again after a good scraping.....

mould in kitchen 3.jpg

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
In the bad old days - 1960's before "best before" dates - I remember one occasion when my dad, who ran a corner shop, took some cheese out of the cold cabinet to cut some mould off it, and then put it back. It was only a little bit of mould, though.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
In the bad old days - 1960's before "best before" dates - I remember one occasion when my dad, who ran a corner shop, took some cheese out of the cold cabinet to cut some mould off it, and then put it back. It was only a little bit of mould, though.

Worked on the deli at a well known posh supermarket whilst at college. Used to chop the mould off and wash edams under the tap after american football sessions left them sawdust strewn.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Most things in our house don't last until the use by date but generally we keep it for a while unless it's chicken or eggs which get binned.

Yoghurts are still good a surprisingly long time after use by.

D

Deleted member 2719

My wife cooked us 100% beef burgers which she froze on day of purchase (24/5/14) last night. When will we all die?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Worked on the deli at a well known posh supermarket whilst at college. Used to chop the mould off and wash edams under the tap after american football sessions left them sawdust strewn.

Likewise, worked at a posh supermarket deli between terms at University a couple of years back....

Much of the food still had 2 or 3 days before it's use by when we were told to bin it. All a result of them wanting to only sell food which looked at it's 'prime selling condition'.

Was ideal for me and the other staff, I'd reguarly take home £200 worth of food a week.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

This happens now if you use the same piece of cling film or foil to wrap it in. Should use a fresh piece every time the piece of cheese is opened, so said a chef on TV.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here