Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby name Clement as manager

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Decent appointment.

Works for both parties. Clement gets his first job in English football at a team virtually built for promotion if Chris Martin stays fit, Derby get a manager in a similar mould to McClaren who won't need to revolutionise the side. Must be favourites to go up now.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Decent appointment.

Works for both parties. Clement gets his first job in English football at a team virtually built for promotion if Chris Martin stays fit, Derby get a manager in a similar mould to McClaren who won't need to revolutionise the side. Must be favourites to go up now.
Hopefully he's another Hypia.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Hopefully he's another Hypia.

You can be a brilliant tactician and coach but not great at leading, inspiring and motivating players as we saw with McLaren when the Championship run in broke the man and his team fell away. We know Derby can play great football and score a lot of goals; will Clement bring the 'bottle' they need to sustain a Championship title bid? We shall see but I feel this is somewhat of a gamble for Derby (like Sami for us).

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Bit jealous of this, kind of sad that we dropped the hiring of young promising managers after the disaster that was Hyypia.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm talking about when We appointed Hyypia,Clement was interviewed so I assume he was available but didn't fancy our car crash.
or didn't fancy leaving Madrid and Ancelotti.

This time he doesn't have a choice.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But we're PLR and have an orange away kit and we have one ambition and we're together in 2015/16 and we've got a hotel and we've got a state of the art training facility and....
and we're not Real Madrid.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It will be interesting to see how it turns out, seeing as we wanted him before we ended up with Hyypia. I'm not sure Ancelloti himself could have done much with the dross we purchased, borrowed and had available after the fire sale last year though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It will be interesting to see how it turns out, seeing as we wanted him before we ended up with Hyypia. I'm not sure Ancelloti himself could have done much with the dross we purchased, borrowed and had available after the fire sale last year though.
Our season could be summed up as:-

'we got all the marginal decisions wrong'.

Ancelloti wouldn't have made those mistakes.

As car crashy as it was, we were no Blackpool, we only got properly spanked at Derby.
Who knows which marginal decision could have changed the season.
Sammy Lee.
Stephen Ward.
How the players were used (I'm thinking Bournemouth away)
I wonder how the same team can produce the home performances we saw v Millwall and Leeds.

As unlikely as promotion would have been.
The nature of the division means a couple of correct decisions along the way would have had us comfortably mid table.
Not great but nevertheless still an improvement on what we got.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Our season could be summed up as:-

'we got all the marginal decisions wrong'.

Ancelloti wouldn't have made those mistakes.

As car crashy as it was, we were no Blackpool, we only got properly spanked at Derby.
Who knows which marginal decision could have changed the season.
Sammy Lee.
Stephen Ward.
How the players were used (I'm thinking Bournemouth away)
I wonder how the same team can produce the home performances we saw v Millwall and Leeds.

As unlikely as promotion would have been.
The nature of the division means a couple of correct decisions along the way would have had us comfortably mid table.
Not great but nevertheless still an improvement on what we got.

Mid table is the height of my expectations for this season. The car crash has been our recruitment policy since Poyer left, Kayal looks good but I think we can all agree he was a gamble due to injury problems. Other than that I am struggling think of value for money on anybody brought in. It took two seasons for us to implode as we did have good players when Poyet left.

The current recruitment team don't even have a track record.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here