Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Counting charity shops.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Driving up our high street yesterday, then noticed another charity shop of Barnardos had landed from the mother planet 'Charity'
Its up there in competition with Bexhill of how many 2nd hand crap (charity) shops you can cram in to one town.

Do we really need all of them, your thoughts please :)

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Mutually advantageous situation for all parties.

One less broken tooth on a high street, with traditional retail circling the drainpipe.
One more affordable outlet for people on their uppers -- of which there's still no shortage, press puffery notwithstanding.
The charities involved do do good work, most of them.
And things get recycled instead of taken to the tip.

If the economy were really roaring, and not just roaring-on-paper-excepting-real-estate, the numbers wouldn't be growing.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Ah, what a refreshingly sensitive post, imbued with the milk of human kindness.

One less broken tooth on a high street, with traditional retail circling the drainpipe.
One more affordable outlet for people on their uppers -- of which there's still no shortage, press puffery notwithstanding.

If the economy were really roaring, and not just roaring-on-paper-excepting-real-estate, the numbers wouldn't be growing.

This - have no problem with them or using "pre owned" stuff - probably due to being bought up to quite happily wear "jumble sale" stuff and liking the occassional rummage for shirts, books and the like at local shops - Uckfield is particularly good for this . All three of our sofa's have been sourced from furniture warehouses run by local charities and most of our used stuff is taken to charity shops or passed on to our friends with daughters of a similar age.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Ah, what a refreshingly sensitive post, imbued with the milk of human kindness.

This - have no problem with them or using "pre owned" stuff - probably due to being bought up to quite happily wear "jumble sale" stuff and liking the occassional rummage for shirts, books and the like at local shops - Uckfield is particularly good for this . All three of our sofa's have been sourced from furniture warehouses run by local charities and most of our used stuff is taken to charity shops or passed on to our friends with daughters of a similar age.

I realise that I may have offended you guys with my comments...........SORRY.

But I do think that there are an awful lot of them about!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Seaford has loads of charity shops, not sure how many exactly as I've never counted them.
Handy for secondhand books though, I've bought loads for 50p and 75p each.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Rather have somone using an empty shop but is it unfair competition do they pay the same amount Business rates and other taxes as the indepentant traders. ?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If you ever go to Windsor, check out the Red Cross Charity shop behind the station. It's full of designer clothes at charity shop prices.

We were tipped off about this place and popped in and bought a Ralph Loren shirt for £20 and a couple of golf tops for £5 each which were basically brand new and the shirt itself would have been £80.

Felt a tad guilty so bought a load of books too.

Worth the trip!

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
In the modern era of internet shopping, charity shops are filling in the increasing gaps left by traditional businesses. I really do wish the charities would stop filling them up with any old shit and be a bit more discerning in what they accept. Some of them need to introduce better customer service. Most of the volunteer staff seem very miserable and look as if they don't want to be there. It's not a good way to encourage custom.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'd be more inclined to buy stuff from a charity shop if they didn't all have that horrible SMELL.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If you ever go to Windsor, check out the Red Cross Charity shop behind the station. It's full of designer clothes at charity shop prices.

We were tipped off about this place and popped in and bought a Ralph Loren shirt for £20 and a couple of golf tops for £5 each which were basically brand new and the shirt itself would have been £80.

Hampstead and Kensington are good areas for decent clobber too. I bought a DJ in Kensington that's still going strong 20 years later.

One other advantage of charity shops that Rex missed out was the opportunity for the unemployed to get some work experience. For people who have got nothing on their CV, it's a little step up

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Rather have somone using an empty shop but is it unfair competition do they pay the same amount Business rates and other taxes as the indepentant traders. ?

No they don't.

If they were empty the Landlord has to pay full Business Rates.

With a Charity Shop in place the Landlord pays nothing, the Charity gets mandatory relief of 80%, and maybe more.

Felt a tad guilty so bought a load of books too.

Worth the trip!

Trainspotter alert! Riverside or the main one? A bit closer to home Sevenoaks and Oxted shops often have designer stuff.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Had some blinding results from charity shops over the years. London Road in Brighton and George Street in Hove have some of the best. If you have time on your hands it's always worth having a butchers.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I think they're a symptom of the broken retail structure in this country. Our planning and tax rules are still based in the pre-internet age, so we have an oversupply of retail space and a tax system which discriminates against tradiotional retail. Adding to that a commercial rent sector which hasn't adjusted to the new reality ( another free market failure), you end up with small towns and less prestigious retail locations in larger towns filled with charity shops.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
No you don't need all of them, but independent shops struggle to survive as all they do is act as free showrooms for the likes of Amazon. Plus no doubt the local Supermarket also stock some of what these shops will offer thus turning themselves into massive convenience stores - why go into town and go to 5 shops when you can get everything at Tescos or whomever, who, no doubt, will even deliver it to your home.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Seaford has loads of charity shops, not sure how many exactly as I've never counted them.
Handy for secondhand books though, I've bought loads for 50p and 75p each.

I picked up "Never mind the bollocks" CD for 75p in one. felt a bit awkward handing it to the old dear behind the counter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here