Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do humans love cats so much?

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
I was wondering about this after yet another new show about cats, Treetop Cat Rescue, débuts on Animal Planet channel. It's a whole series dedicated to cats being rescued from tall trees! Yup.

It must be more than they are just cute 'n' cuddly. Is it because we would secretly want to be like them or do they have human personality and emotional characteristics? Some people almost look on them as surrogate children. Why don't humans have the same affinity and attachments towards rats, otters or raccoons? ???

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Animals are awesome.

Cats and dogs just have personalities that humans enjoy and are more affectionate than others. So we have domesticated them and love their company. Horses and birds are similar.... Rats and Racoons, not so much. Although i am sure some people love their pet rats.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Chicken can be expensive, and cat is a far cheaper and still protein-packed alternative.

Nah, Stringy and tough.

Unless you get them as a kitten and keep them well fed in a small box.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I love cats for their attitude. Often independent but affectionate to their owners. I love dogs too, different personalities but equally loveable.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The wife and daughter love our cat, who is ten years old and unfortunately was a house cat from our days living in a flat in camden and hardly ever goes out now we have a garden etc. so i get to feed it at 5.30 am every morning as it cries so loud and wakes the daughter up if I dont. I also get to empty the litter box, which I love and watch her rip the carpet to pieces in only a few weeks.... Oh and it scratches the little one and wife..... I don't understand why on earth they love it so much.... I just don't get it.....

Oh and we get to pay about £7 a day for some stranger to come and throw a handful of food in a bowl every time we go away....

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
The wife and daughter love our cat, who is ten years old and unfortunately was a house cat from our days living in a flat in camden and hardly ever goes out now we have a garden etc. so i get to feed it at 5.30 am every morning as it cries so loud and wakes the daughter up if I dont. I also get to empty the litter box, which I love and watch her rip the carpet to pieces in only a few weeks.... Oh and it scratches the little one and wife..... I don't understand why on earth they love it so much.... I just don't get it.....

Oh and we get to pay about £7 a day for some stranger to come and throw a handful of food in a bowl every time we go away....

You should teach it to cross the road.............!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: your wife and daughter might :bla: but soon forgotten.........

SteveTheSeagull

I AM A CRIPPLED ALICE FAN
Feb 14, 2015
Personally i like cats tho i have noticed on this here forum. That a majority don't due to the belief they destroy songbird population.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Personally i like cats tho i have noticed on this here forum. That a majority don't due to the belief they destroy songbird population.

A belief that isn't really accurate according to the RSPB

No evidence
Despite the large numbers of birds killed, there is no scientific evidence that predation by cats in gardens is having any impact on bird populations UK-wide. This may be surprising, but many millions of birds die naturally every year, mainly through starvation, disease, or other forms of predation. There is evidence that cats tend to take weak or sickly birds.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/makeahomeforwildlife/advice/gardening/unwantedvisitors/cats/birddeclines.aspx

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
We've two cats at home and, with one of them, I can think of no reason to dislike them as pets, lovely affectionate creatures who're independent enough not to be a pain.

Then there's the other one, a, hyperactive psycho cat who spends many a happy (presumably) hour bounding up and down stairs or terrorising the other cat/furniture/me.

Long story short, they're like people, some are great to be around whilst others you just want to avoid.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
A belief that isn't really accurate according to the RSPB

No evidence
Despite the large numbers of birds killed, there is no scientific evidence that predation by cats in gardens is having any impact on bird populations UK-wide. This may be surprising, but many millions of birds die naturally every year, mainly through starvation, disease, or other forms of predation. There is evidence that cats tend to take weak or sickly birds.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/makeahomeforwildlife/advice/gardening/unwantedvisitors/cats/birddeclines.aspx

How come you never see a dead bird? Do they fly up to a birdy heaven to die? ???

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I also have the wife's damned cat to live with ..... It has never liked me , or anyone but itself ...Why do people ,usually female, like them ? They are small, warm & furry and know how to get what they want by playing on emotions. It brings out the nurturing instinct ......

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If you've not had a cat, you won't understand. I certainly didn't until one adopted me, then I got it.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
I also have the wife's damned cat to live with ..... It has never liked me , or anyone but itself ...Why do people ,usually female, like them ?...

Oi! Us meterosexual men like them too. True test of a real man - one who isn't shy about getting all soppy with a glorious ball of feline fluff. The acid test for any straight woman in choosing a man should be whether they are a cat lover or not, if it's the latter steer well clear.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here