Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do comedians go off the boil when they get on the telly?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I've seen a couple or three that have had me absolutely pissing myself laughing in stiches on the floor when they're on stage but are mediocre on the telly.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
They have to tame themselves for various reasons - time of broadcast, standards and practices, etc. They also have to fit their humour into the format of whichever tv show they are appearing on, which can include attempting to broaden the appeal of their jokes to appeal to a larger demographic (if only a small portion of the audience find them funny, they won't be invited back and TV not only pays well, but gives them the exposure to attract bigger audiences to their live shows so can be a necessary evil).

Some manage all of this better than others.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Maybe other variables also. Like Alcohol intake and amount of people laughing around you.

Was going to say the same, the atmosphere is always conducive to having a proper laugh.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
Also comedians spent years honing an act which may only last half an hour.
The tv gig devours their material.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Do comedians go off the boil when they go from the telly to the stage? Dylan Moran, fantastic in Black Books, boring/unamusing on stage.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
These days comedians go from TV to arena tours pretty quickly. :-(

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some of you might be interested in Sean Hughes' podcast about comedy.

It's a good listen for those wanting to know the business, and not as 'dry' as The Comedians Comedian.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I remember seeing Jim Jeffries sharing a bill with Michael Macintyre. One wouldn't think it now but MM was by far the filthier of the two. He was quite funny, as he can be now at times when he's not hosting Saturday evening tripe.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I've seen a couple or three that have had me absolutely pissing myself laughing in stiches on the floor when they're on stage but are mediocre on the telly.

Live shows allways better than telly...Be it Comedians or Bands....Think you`re more in the mood...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Frankie Boyle went off the telly

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Can I just put in a plug for a Radio 4 comedy "Claire in the Community"? Laughed a lot at the last show on Wednesday night. And thoroughly un-PC as far as they can dare.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There are too many Mary Whitehouses watching the tv. I dont like comedians like Roy Chubby Brown so dont go to watch them similarly if Alan Carr comes on TV I switch off or change channels others could do the same.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Also comedians spent years honing an act which may only last half an hour.
The tv gig devours their material.

Gotta be this shirley? You can do more or less the same live set in thirty different towns on thirty different nights and get a great reaction every time. You can only do the telly material once.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Thought Harry Hill was brilliant as a stand-up comic. A shadow of his former self now he is on TV.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Many don't know when to call it a day and TV eventually destroys them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here