Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The FA Cup has been re-named

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"FA Cup get first title sponsor following deal with Emirates Airline

The FA Cup will be rebranded as The Emirates FA Cup after the Football Association signed a three-year contract with the Dubai-based airline.

The deal, which starts next season and runs until 2018, means Emirates become the first title sponsor of football's oldest knockout competition.

"The partnership will help take the tournament to new audiences," FA chairman Greg Dyke said."

:facepalm:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
"FA Cup get first title sponsor following deal with Emirates Airline

The FA Cup will be rebranded as The Emirates FA Cup after the Football Association signed a three-year contract with the Dubai-based airline.

The deal, which starts next season and runs until 2018, means Emirates become the first title sponsor of football's oldest knockout competition.

"The partnership will help take the tournament to new audiences," FA chairman Greg Dyke said."

:facepalm:

Blatter

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Yeah, thanks for that FA. Whatever happened to the 'FA Cup sponsored by' ? It's now as good as The Emirates Cup.

I don't think I've ever put one of these up before...

:wanker:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
images.jpg_44098320_ears203.jpg
'The Gary Lineker ear cup' :)

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I'd love Dyke to explain how this deal is going to take the cup to new audiences? It's the most famous club competition in the world, the only people unaware of it will be those Amazonian tribes who've never seen anyone outside out their own people. I don't see how a deal with Emirates is going to help bring the FA Cup to them.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'd love Dyke to explain how this deal is going to take the cup to new audiences? It's the most famous club competition in the world, the only people unaware of it will be those Amazonian tribes who've never seen anyone outside out their own people. I don't see how a deal with Emirates is going to help bring the FA Cup to them.

100% this. Instead of dicking around with the name of the competition, how about they just do the following:

i). Play all ties on a Saturday afternoon - not spread them across Friday night, Saturday lunchtime, Saturday afternoon, Saturday evening, Sunday lunchtime, Sunday afternoon, Sunday evening and Monday night
ii). Stop using a stupid coloured ball for FA Cup games just for the sake of it.
iii). Don't stage the semi-finals at Wembley.
iv). Play the final at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon, with a replay - if required - the following Thursday night.
v). Restore the dignity of the Final. They don't need anyone to 'lead' the singing of Abide With Me - just a military band and the voices of the crowd is perfect. Also, no stupid flame throwers and associated gimmicky shit as the teams walk out. Strip it all back and let the occasion itself take centre stage.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Indeed. What his quote should have said is "The FA are exactly the same as FIFA in that we'd sell our own Grandmothers if it brought in a few pounds that would benefit us .... sorry .... I meant .... the game"

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
How is Greg Dyke's mortgage (if he has one) going to get paid? The Emirates' top brass have their mortgages paid by sponsorship deals like this......so just how is Greg Dyke going to manage if the game is stripped back to basics.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I'd welcome the FA Cup being devoid of sponsorship in the same way that Barcelona's shirts were famous for the absence of corporate branding.

That said, are Emirates Airlines any worse a proposition than Littlewoods Pools, AXA. E.On or Budweiser?

Emirates have a growing record in sports sponsorship:
Cricket: Cricket Australia, Lord's Taverners and Pro Arch Tournament, ICC, Durham, shirt sponsor of Lancashire
Racing: Dubai International Racing Carnival, Melbourne Cup Carnival, and the Australian Jockey Club's Autumn and Spring Carnival.
Sailing: Team New Zealand challenger to the 34th America's Cup
Formula 1: Official airline sponsor since 2013 season.
Football: Official global sponsors of English Premier League club Arsenal, shirt sponsors of Real Madrid, Hamburg, AC Milan, PSG, Benfica
Tennis: US Open Series, a six-week summer tennis season leading up to the US Open.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Me-h. Still The FA Cup, whatever they want to call it :shrug:

Sadly, I have to disagree, to much corperate money has come into football (IMHO) and I think it is ruining the game, this is only my personal opinion, but it was not that many years ago, myself and the wife were setting up the day all around the FA Cup (regardless who was in the final) it had so much magic, history it was just amazing...............yes we are going to watch it, but we are not watching any build up, nothing! in my (our) opinion, its lost the magic it used to have (unless you support Arsenal / Aston Villa of course) personally I think its lost its flavour a long time ago....................The Emirates FA Cup.....nah.......bring back Football as we knew it and loved it.......simply stop paying players stupid money that only a handfull of clubs can afford :thumbsup:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
100% this. Instead of dicking around with the name of the competition, how about they just do the following:

i). Play all ties on a Saturday afternoon - not spread them across Friday night, Saturday lunchtime, Saturday afternoon, Saturday evening, Sunday lunchtime, Sunday afternoon, Sunday evening and Monday night
ii). Stop using a stupid coloured ball for FA Cup games just for the sake of it.
iii). Don't stage the semi-finals at Wembley.
iv). Play the final at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon, with a replay - if required - the following Thursday night.
v). Restore the dignity of the Final. They don't need anyone to 'lead' the singing of Abide With Me - just a military band and the voices of the crowd is perfect. Also, no stupid flame throwers and associated gimmicky shit as the teams walk out. Strip it all back and let the occasion itself take centre stage.

Problem is britains vast army of dummies love the flame throwers and all that rhubarb. Apart from a few things, dignity went out the window quite some time ago.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I'd welcome the FA Cup being devoid of sponsorship in the same way that Barcelona's shirts were famous for the absence of corporate branding.

That said, are Emirates Airlines any worse a proposition than Littlewoods Pools, AXA. E.On or Budweiser?

Emirates have a growing record in sports sponsorship:
Cricket: Cricket Australia, Lord's Taverners and Pro Arch Tournament, ICC, Durham, shirt sponsor of Lancashire
Racing: Dubai International Racing Carnival, Melbourne Cup Carnival, and the Australian Jockey Club's Autumn and Spring Carnival.
Sailing: Team New Zealand challenger to the 34th America's Cup
Formula 1: Official airline sponsor since 2013 season.
Football: Official global sponsors of English Premier League club Arsenal, shirt sponsors of Real Madrid, Hamburg, AC Milan, PSG, Benfica
Tennis: US Open Series, a six-week summer tennis season leading up to the US Open.

And a lot of this is led by british employees who if working for a european airline would not be allowed anywhere near this sort of stuff by the bean counters and private equity sharks, who then wonder why they continually lose market share against the gulf carriers, regardless of resources.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
How is Greg Dyke's mortgage (if he has one) going to get paid? The Emirates' top brass have their mortgages paid by sponsorship deals like this......so just how is Greg Dyke going to manage if the game is stripped back to basics.

greg dykes positive influence on english football. Discuss.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here