Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UEFA World Cup Boycott?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I can see the Germans, Dutch, French and English FAs going for it and Australia and the USA would probably go too. The media in those countries reflects the mood of the nation and its fans and officials and they have all been scathing. Seriously - if those big 4 from Europe pulled out then they'd probably take the rest of Europe with them barring Russia and possibly Spain.

I hope they do, I really, really hope they do for the sake of football.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I don't understand how a country like without being prejudice San Marino have as much as a say in football as Germany or Brazil on matters that effect everything concerning the game. The World Cup is a fixed from start to finish anyway just to enable less talented countries to appear at the finals, which then throw up the odd freak result. If teams are good enough they should be there not fixed groups and play offs. The World Cup is such a good competition, that should not worry about seeding etc, if your good enough you will get through. Blatter will die on the throne like Elvis who he thinks he is also the king, and unfortunately I fear it will all come out like Saville where everyone says "oh yeah we all knew what he was upto but he did a lotta work for the smaller countries" bollox just plain bollox.... Just proves what an unjust and corrupt world and everything in it is even the worlds number one sport.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Very much hope for a boycott. You could even have a rival world cup, teams from Uefa (excluding Spain who I think voted for him) with other invited teams. Put it in a country where you can play in the summer and you will screw Fifa over.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Very much hope for a boycott. You could even have a rival world cup, teams from Uefa (excluding Spain who I think voted for him) with other invited teams. Put it in a country where you can play in the summer and you will screw Fifa over.

FIFA African & Asian World Cup (plus Russia) or UEFA backed 'everyone else' Global Soccer Championship? I know which one the sponsors, TV viewers and world's media would back!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't understand how a country like without being prejudice San Marino have as much as a say in football as Germany or Brazil on matters that effect everything concerning the game. The World Cup is a fixed from start to finish anyway just to enable less talented countries to appear at the finals, which then throw up the odd freak result. If teams are good enough they should be there not fixed groups and play offs. The World Cup is such a good competition, that should not worry about seeding etc, if your good enough you will get through. Blatter will die on the throne like Elvis who he thinks he is also the king, and unfortunately I fear it will all come out like Saville where everyone says "oh yeah we all knew what he was upto but he did a lotta work for the smaller countries" bollox just plain bollox.... Just proves what an unjust and corrupt world and everything in it is even the worlds number one sport.

Not quite sure what point you are making. Firstly, you claim it is fixed to allow 'less talented' teams to qualify and then you criticize the seeding process which is presumably there to try and smooth the path for the big teams to progress. Wouldn't it diminish the world cup if you had Brazil, Germany, Argentina and Holland in one opening group. Or, by luck, the top 16 teams in one half of the draw and the other 16 in the other half. You would end up with a lopsided final. Some might argue that that would give 'less talented' teams the chance to play in a final but I'm not sure that is what everyone wants.

Unfortunately, I'm not convinced Platini will do what is needed as I can't help feel that he is tainted as well. He has said all the right things in the run up but what he does in the next few weeks will be crucial. If Uefa are to pull out of the world cup, they will need a replacement tournament to fill the gap for the European teams and any others that join the boycott.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I can see the Germans, Dutch, French and English .....Seriously - if those big 4 from Europe pulled out then they'd probably take the rest of Europe with them barring Russia and possibly Spain.

You could even have a rival world cup, teams from Uefa (excluding Spain who I think voted for him) with other invited teams.

France also voted for him.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
UEFA should pull out and form a new world body with any outside European countries they can persuade to come too.

The money would follow, which in turn would mean any countries that didn't come too would be in the cold. In time we would have a brand new global football body replacing FIFA.

I think it is that simple but may take a few years of sorting out.

I fear that UEFA may not have big enough balls to do it though.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Putin will be seething if there is a world cup boycott.

He'll soon strongarm Blatter to resign.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I disagree with a boycott and I fully agree that every nation no matter how small should get a vote. That's Democracy

Who are the English FA and German FA and American FA and all the other to try and bully and influence the others to vote how they want them to vote.

And as for Sepp Blatter. Do we really really know that he is shit at his job. We are fed all this media hype telling us that he is corrupt but he has not been arrested for anything he has done wrong. If he had done then YES there may have been just cause for him being forced out.

And much as I cannot stand Russia's President Putin, he is correct. What the **** does all this have to do with the FBI. Why wasn't an Investigation carried out by an organisation not specific to any one country. So Putin is correct, the USA are meddling in more foreign affairs that does not concern them. After all, they have a history of bulldozing countries around the world and leaving them in a bigger mess than how they found them

For once Money cannot buy what people want and the large FA's in Europe do not like that and as far as I am concerned that's just tough shit. And anyhow, for every England or Germany or a France or USA waiting to pull out, there is a Slovenia or a Latvia or Belarus or Slovakia waiting to step in so a boycott would be useless.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
France also voted for him.

Can't find anywhere that says this. What's your source please? I note that the French press laid into Blatter and the French Foreign Minister called for a delay in the election process. Platini said yesterday in a press conference that he had 45 or 46 of the 53 EUFA federations backing the prince so that's a pretty emphatic solidarity from the Europeans. I think that even though Spain backed Blatter, the weight of pressure brought to bear from, say, a rival cup would bring them on board.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I disagree with a boycott and I fully agree that every nation no matter how small should get a vote. That's Democracy

Who are the English FA and German FA and American FA and all the other to try and bully and influence the others to vote how they want them to vote.

And as for Sepp Blatter. Do we really really know that he is shit at his job. We are fed all this media hype telling us that he is corrupt but he has not been arrested for anything he has done wrong. If he had done then YES there may have been just cause for him being forced out.

And much as I cannot stand Russia's President Putin, he is correct. What the **** does all this have to do with the FBI. Why wasn't an Investigation carried out by an organisation not specific to any one country. So Putin is correct, the USA are meddling in more foreign affairs that does not concern them. After all, they have a history of bulldozing countries around the world and leaving them in a bigger mess than how they found them

For once Money cannot buy what people want and the large FA's in Europe do not like that and as far as I am concerned that's just tough shit. And anyhow, for every England or Germany or a France or USA waiting to pull out, there is a Slovenia or a Latvia or Belarus or Slovakia waiting to step in so a boycott would be useless.

:facepalm:

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
UEFA already have a four yearly tournament.
I cannot see them cutting of their nose to spite their face in
not turning up to such a valuable tournament as the World Cup .
Let's hope the US legal team deliver justice.
The corruption of wealth and power is pervasive it would be
great if Blatter falls but he and football are just the tip of the iceberg.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

bulldozing countries, are you talking about US or Russia?

dont think you've followed the story, the US are involved because the fraud, money laudering etc was in US $ and through US banks, therefore its their juristiction. there isnt an internation organisation to do such an investigation. Putin is crying but US authorities dont really care about football, so in this case are the nearest you could have to independent.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Can't find anywhere that says this. What's your source please? I note that the French press laid into Blatter and the French Foreign Minister called for a delay in the election process. Platini said yesterday in a press conference that he had 45 or 46 of the 53 EUFA federations backing the prince so that's a pretty emphatic solidarity from the Europeans. I think that even though Spain backed Blatter, the weight of pressure brought to bear from, say, a rival cup would bring them on board.
It was reported at the time by sky news and it's all over Twitter.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

I sincerely hope you are on a wind up. For instance, you say that it's the one time money can't buy etc etc etc but that is exactly what is happening here where tiny nations are voting for Blatter as they then preserve the status quo. FIFA is not a democracy, it's highly unrepresentative as San Marino has the same voting power as England. It's even worse than the imbalance in our democracy where Scottish voters are massively overrepresented in the UK Parliament.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here