Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good Christian Folk: what's your favourite hymn?

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
This is one of my particular favourites. This rendition is quite soulful and from the heart. Make sure you listen right to the end. :thumbsup:

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
My Favourite Got to be Jerusalem

Jerusalem ["And did those feet in ancient time"]
BY WILLIAM BLAKE
And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon Englands mountains green:
And was the holy Lamb of God,
On Englands pleasant pastures seen!

And did the Countenance Divine,
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here,
Among these dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my Bow of burning gold:
Bring me my arrows of desire:
Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my Chariot of fire!

I will not cease from Mental Fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand:
Till we have built Jerusalem,
In Englands green & pleasant Land.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Well West Brom sing the Lord's My Shepherd, so suggestions for an Albion hymn, should set some teeth grinding amongst the strident atheists and agnostics in these parts.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Well West Brom sing the Lord's My Shepherd, so suggestions for an Albion hymn, should set some teeth grinding amongst the strident atheists and agnostics in these parts.
Just for clarity, are you suggesting that there are some strident atheists on NSC (there absolutely are, and unbearable with it) or that all atheists on here are the same?

Speaking only for myself, as an atheist, it wouldn't even vaguely bother me if the Albion had an 'official hymn' or if it became a thing to belt one out at the AMEX for whatever reason.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Just for clarity, are you suggesting that there are some strident atheists on NSC (there absolutely are, and unbearable with it) or that all atheists on here are the same?

Speaking only for myself, as an atheist, it wouldn't even vaguely bother me if the Albion had an 'official hymn' or if it became a thing to belt one out at the AMEX for whatever reason.

Just for clarification I count myself as an atheist and not always a tolerant one. However some of the dismissive rubbish written on here, gets my back up. You don't have to be a believer to acknowledge the vast contribution religion has made to literature, music, architecture, art, philosophy etc. Likewise I am not bothered by an official hymn, although I don't even join in with Abide by Me, so I guess I won't be making much of a contribution in any case - with apologies for the thread hijack.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Cwm Rhondda (Bread of Heaven). The Welsh Rugby hymn - sung by a packed crowd it is utterly magnificent. And I am neither Christian nor Welsh!

Replace the last two lines with
Men of Devon, Men of Devon
Feed me 'til I'm six foot four

You then have the anthem of the Plymouth naval field gun crew, followed by chants of oggy oggy oggy, of course.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can't claim to be a good Christian.

But I am quite the fan of Guide Me O Thou Great Redeemer (see above), particularly when sung by a proper Welsh male voice choir, and also I Vow To Thee My Country.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
But not Morning Has Bloody Well Broken, which we used to have to sing almost every day in assembly when I was at primary school, accompanied by some horrific recorder playing.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
He Who Would Valiant Be - the only Hymn written by John Bunyan of Pilgrims Progress Fame and my old Grammar School's Song.

Apparently one of Churchill's favourite Hymns but also chosen by Tony Benn on Desert Island Discs!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
When I went to roman catholic school, the only song I liked belting out was Shine, Jesus, Shine. Complete atheist now however.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here