Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Heysel Stadium disaster

0 Not allowed!
    The Heysel Stadium disaster was 30 years ago today and have not seen one thing in the news / online about it. Has it been forgotten?
    You can tell them all that we'll stand or fall for Sussex by the Sea

• North Stand Chat

advertising

2 Not allowed!
      Article by Ed Vulliamy in y'day's Guardian.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...th-anniversary

Raised a question that has always bugged me about the differing reactions of Liverpool fans to Heysel and Hillsborough. I think that the article might give a context as to why it gets little or no media attention in this country.

2 Not allowed!
      I saw the Juventus fans spectacular tribute, and assumed there'd be the usual anniversary coverage.

But you're right, it's been 'forgotten' (swept under the carpet).

Did Liverpool fans do anything to mark the occasion or were they too busy saying goodbye to 'Stevie G'?
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Did Liverpool fans do anything to mark the occasion or were they too busy saying goodbye to 'Stevie G'?
      Yes they are:

A private ceremony is being held at Anfield later to mark 30 years since the Heysel disaster.

Thirty-nine fans died when an internal wall collapsed at the Heysel Stadium in Brussels, during the 1985 European Cup final between Liverpool and Juventus.

The disaster unfolded after a surge by Liverpool fans, which drove the Italians towards the wall.

A wreath will be laid at Anfield by Phil Neal, who was Liverpool's captain at the time.

It will be placed at the Heysel Memorial in the club's centenary stand.

The stand will then be open for the rest of the day to allow people to pay their respects.

After a five-month trial, 14 Liverpool fans were found guilty of manslaughter and each jailed for three years as a result of the disaster.

However, an investigation in Belgium recommended that some of the blame should be laid on the police and the football authorities.

What happened at Heysel also led to English clubs being barred from European competition for five years, with Liverpool serving a six-year ban.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...yside-32917970

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport...r-talk-9350302

0 Not allowed!
      Just read the article - very well written, very interesting, and absolutely shocking.

He remembers the 'whooping' of the Liverpool fans. And the reactions he quotes...

39 people killed, and nobody wants to know.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
      Just read the article - very well written, very interesting, and absolutely shocking.

He remembers the 'whooping' of the Liverpool fans. And the reactions he quotes...

39 people killed, and nobody wants to know.
      The away fans at the Bradford fire were doing similar, I'm afraid. Some who attended matches in the 80's were absolutely vile.

Heysel was just terrible. It is good to know that Liverpool have marked previous anniversaries, but they have been quiet affairs. So it has not necessarily been swept under the carpet, but I suspect that you would only know about any remembrance events if you follow Liverpool closely.
      Sanibona!!

3 Not allowed!
      And then off to Brussels with Mike, Tim, Bomber and Jim to indulge our passion for Belgian beer and football and, indulging my silly Albania obsession, to cheer their no-hope national team on in a World Cup qualifying match.
      Belgium v Albania, Heysel Stadium, 17 October 1984. The night when a couple of days abroad with good Brighton mates for some fine beer, a laugh and a silly, one sided football match where we’d be shouting ridiculous made-up slogans for the underdogs turned into a premonition of hell…..
      We got well hammered in some of my old haunts in the city centre, then got the tram to the Heysel Stadium and rolled into the away end. Needing a bit of support to make staying upright easier after all that Delirium Tremens, I flopped onto one of the crash barriers. It promptly gave way and pitched me headlong down the terrace.
      I wasn’t hurt, but we were all shocked. We looked around: the stadium was in a dreadful state. Crumbling terracing, weeds growing in the cracks, a couple more of the crash barriers near us obviously unfit for purpose, gaps in the stands where seats should be. ‘If a big game’s played here, this place could be a bloody death trap!’ we said to each other, utterly shocked.
      Eight months later, on May 29, 1985, a wall would collapse at the European Cup Final between Liverpool and Juventus, killing 39 Juve fans and injuring 600. The disaster was triggered by crowd disorder sparked by bad ticketing arrangements - but it seems obvious to me that that, if the stadium had been properly maintained, far fewer people, if any, would have been killed or injured. The disaster led to an indefinite ban on English clubs from all European club competitions.
      Of course, on the evening that we were there, there was no hint of such carnage. Given the utterly closed nature of Albanian society back then, the only ‘away fans’ apart from us were, as far as we could tell, a few Belgians of Albanian descent. The reason we could tell that was that they kept up a humourous piss take of the well-known Belgian French/Flemish linguistic divide throughout the game, shouting ‘Belgique! Belgie!’ in
      a vaguely disparaging fashion. The result? Belgium won 3-1. Improbably, Albania did equalise, though, leading to (careful) leaping about among our little group…
      I am a firm supported of safe standing at football, always have been, and am very angry that the Thatcher-led agenda following Heysel and the subsequent awful Hillsborough disaster led to the imposition of all-seater stadia and all kinds of other ludicrous restrictions on fan culture in the UK.
      These disasters were triggered by bad stadium maintenance and equally poor crowd control – enhanced in the case of Hillsborough, of course, by cover-ups, police lies and calumnies against Liverpool fans in the Sun ‘newspaper’ after the event, seized upon by the biased and anti-football Taylor Report. Thatcher loathed football fans, as she did any aspect of working class culture, and took any opportunity she could to paint us as a bunch of semi-literate, violent morons. Of course, there are a few of those amongst our ranks, but you can find similar in any town centre on a Saturday night.
      Now that the truth about Hillsborough has been revealed, the Taylor Report spawned by it should be torn up and safe standing should return to the UK, thus ending the silly situation where thousands of fans stand in all seater-stadia every week – I know I do – and the authorities turn a blind eye to it. Overpriced, sanitised and torn to bits by greedy moneymen and ludicrously overpaid players, English football needs a massive overhaul. I know some people won’t agree with that, but that’s what I think. And that isn’t in any way to play down the awful tragedies which took place: I’ll never forget what I saw at the Heysel Stadium that night.

3 Not allowed!
      Always the victims, it's never their fault

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Black Rod View Post
      Always the victims, it's never their fault
      "Liverpool chairman John Smith dismissed the killers as belonging to the National Front in London; “It was the NF, proof page 3”, reported the Daily Star. The Telegraph carried a front page story about “English and Italian fans” being killed in “a riot”. The Express turned quickly to an “anti-British frenzy in Europe” and the Mirror stated: “Britons Warned: Keep out of Europe”.

When Liverpool manager Joe Fagan offered up a prayer in the city’s Anglican cathedral, it was for “all” victims of soccer “tragedies” – natural disasters like earthquakes – “especially Brussels and Bradford”. For an initial church service in Turin, neither Liverpool nor the British embassy managed a wreath. Fans blamed the police, or the ground, or said the slaughter was in retaliation for attacks by supporters of Roma after Liverpool had won the previous year’s cup in Rome. No reckoning; Heysel remained an open wound."

Taken from the Guardian piece.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Postman Pat View Post
      Yes they are:

A wreath will be laid at Anfield by Phil Neal, who was Liverpool's captain at the time.

It will be placed at the Heysel Memorial in the club's centenary stand.
      I wonder how much Phil Neal demanded to take part? From The Guardian, 2005

Phil Neal
      Then: Liverpool captain, 34
      Now: Merseyside Radio commentator

I'd rather forget that night. It was an ordeal. But, Jamie, why should I help you out? I'm helping you pay your mortgage [by talking to you about Heysel]. When people ask me for my view, they usually have to pay for it. You're asking for my help for nothing. To pay your mortgage, Jamie. I mean, what do you want from me?

I just thought that as the captain of Liverpool football club on that night at Heysel it would be good to hear your view?

Yes but what do you want from me? If I talk to you for a few minutes, then I'm helping you pay your mortgage and what am I getting in return? Do you know what I mean?

Well, I have been to Italy and talked with some of the families of the victims and they say that the trophy should be given back by Juventus to commemorate what happened.

About Juventus? Why are you asking me? Why are you asking someone on the Liverpool side? Juventus made amends very soon. Ask them ... Jamie I'm helping you pay your mortgage. People who want my views pay.

I'm sorry, but everyone else I have spoken to has ...

Great. So you've spoken to people, you've got your views. You've got your Liverpool view, but if you want mine for free, well people pay for them.