Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hamster rescued by fire service in :Lewes!

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Argus Story

A HAMSTER was freed after spending 24 hours trapped behind a cooker.
Firefighters from Lewes was called to a family flat in Lewes at 9am yesterday after it was discovered that the rodent had got itself stuck.
The fire crew from East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service spent 20 minutes at the scene in Blois Road, Lewes, to free the hamster from behind a built-in cooker.
It is understood the hamster had been trapped there for up to 24 hours.
The fire crew had to unscrew the cooker and remove it to free the trapped animal.
One nearby resident, who did not want to be named, said: “I can’t believe they called the fire service for that.”
This rescue comes after a seagull was rescued after becoming trapped on a third floor balcony on Sunday.
Since the start of 2013 the two Sussex fire services attended more than 650 animal related callouts costing them an estimated £105,000.

It's great that our society rescues animals in danger and in distress. It's quite expensive though. Should owners of pets and animal charities who call out the emergency services pay the costs? Or should our taxes pay for this?

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I want to laugh and cry at the same time. But mainly cry. That should be a chargable service with no guarantee on the outcome for the stupid furry animal.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
How can you call the hamster stupid? It didn't know not to go behind the cooker....

How stupid do you have to be to manoeuvre yourself into a confined space behind a kitchen appliance that you cannot get out of?

Good grief. Well, at least it keeps them busy.

Less fires equals less real work for our heroes in dirty brown, but try telling that to their union leaders :whistle:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
By now the argus will have named him Norman and the Argus billboard signs on the street today will read Norman Baker Trapped in Oven Inferno .

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
I think you could be fighting fires yourself shortly!

I am sure that they would rather be rescuing Hamsters than cutting bodies out of mangled cars. Awful job - I couldn't do it.

This is good PR for them through demonstrating community interaction with the general public. It's putting a smile back on the face of a small girl who's hamster, Dan, has been rescued.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I want to laugh and cry at the same time. But mainly cry. That should be a chargable service with no guarantee on the outcome for the stupid furry animal.

Animal rescue is chargeable. Only emergencies are free.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I think you could be fighting fires yourself shortly!

I am sure that they would rather be rescuing Hamsters than cutting bodies out of mangled cars. Awful job - I couldn't do it.

Im sure others have noticed but i love your avitar, how is he getting on btw, is he still inside so to speak?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Im sure others have noticed but i love your avitar, how is he getting on btw, is he still inside so to speak?

He is still inside. The state have been granted leave to appeal his conviction of culpable homicide with the Supreme Court (they think it should have been murder), but no date for this appeal has been set as far as I can see. It is entirely possible that he could be out of prison in August and placed under house arrest. There are regular reports of how awful it is for him in prison (aww, diddums), but he was pictured earlier in the year playing football with a notorious scumbag by the name of Radovan Krejcir (fraud, kidnapping and attempted murder), so he is still mixing with a lovely class of person (not that he has much choice in prison mind, but he could have found someone slightly less controversial to play football with).

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I don't envy their job but the reality is that this is what firefighters spend the majority of their active service doing. Firefighters will not be called to that many fires in their lifetime, mainly this kind of thing, small fires in gardens and if they happen to be stationed near a motorway they will probably have to deal with car accidents, unpleasant indeed and my hats off to them but the reality of a firefighters job is slightly different to what we believe.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I don't envy their job but the reality is that this is what firefighters spend the majority of their active service doing. Firefighters will not be called to that many fires in their lifetime, mainly this kind of thing, small fires in gardens and if they happen to be stationed near a motorway they will probably have to deal with car accidents, unpleasant indeed and my hats off to them but the reality of a firefighters job is slightly different to what we believe.

Car accidents don't just happen on motorways.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here