Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would You Consider A Nickname Change?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
just been reading through Sussaxon's excellent thread on celebrating Sussex Day and couldn't help thinking the Sussaxon's would be a far better nickname than the seagulls,controversial I know,this would of course involve changing the badge too,going back to the Brighton & Hove connection would be good

unless anyone wants to go back to the Dolphins :salute:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I have absolutely no idea what the derivation is of "Sussaxons" which appears to have appeared in the last year or so and has no link that I know of with Brighton or Hove. Maybe the word is a little like Welsh and Cornish - largely a modern invention to represent something that probably never existed in the way people perceive it.
You'll have gathered it's a no from me.
In my 56 years as a fan we have been Shrimpers, Dolphins and Seagulls. Quite enough for one lifetime.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Immensely proud that we have a nickname derived from our hatred of the Palace. Don't fix what isn't broken

See, I think the other way.

I love the fact that we've derived our nickname/mascot to counter CP's Eagles chant, however why does it have to be a Seagull.
They're annoying, pesky little shit's that are far inferior to eagles.

Why couldn't we have picked something with a bit more bite?

Brighton & Hove Albion
The Beagles

:D

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
No way!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
just been reading through Sussaxon's excellent thread on celebrating Sussex Day and couldn't help thinking the Sussaxon's would be a far better nickname than the seagulls,controversial I know,this would of course involve changing the badge too,going back to the Brighton & Hove connection would be good

unless anyone wants to go back to the Dolphins :salute:

With the greatest of respect... DO ONE!!!!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
And what logo / badge / tattoo would go with "Sussaxons"?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
A dolphin isn't a fish. Your fish puns are useless here.
Which is why that particular post was fishy, it was trying to introduce fish puns at the wrong time. I then took it upon myself to bring one in regardless...yep, that's the truth, definitely that...

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
I definitely think we should stick to "The Seagulls", it's embedded, it's relevant and it's our identity. I get asked a lot "You support The Seagulls don't you?", or even " You support the Brighton Seagulls?", more so than the use of "Brighton & Hove Albion". We should most certainly stick to "The Seagulls"!!!

I wouldn't however, of course, be against "Sussaxons" becoming a secondary nickname, such as "The Albion" is now. Or even use it in chants like "Seasiders"; "Sus-Sus-Sussaxons".

I very much promote the use of this term, as many know I actively promote and encourage people to have a Sussex identity, whether they were born here or moved here later on in life. A couple of years ago, I noticed that places with strong identities like Cornwall, Lancashire and Wales etc. all have a widely used demonym; "Cornish", "Lancastrian", "Welsh". These people have more of a sense of belonging, they can say "I am Cornish", "I am Welsh" etc... It sounds much better to say "I am English", than "I am from England", it makes one feel a part of the territory, rather than just a resident. I researched online what is the demonym for Sussex, and "Sussaxon" came up on quite a few sites.

I really like the word because it has "saxon" within it, a very strong part of our local history. I also like the fact that "Sussaxon" sounds very close to "Sussex", and those who haven't heard the term before can quite easily link it to Sussex, unlike "South Saxon" for example, although I wouldn't be against anyone using this term either.

I am British, English and Sussaxon!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
How about Smeagol(s), he had a ring of fire, plus some of us Brighton fans have been around the block a bit :D

9d8e3dcd2a4bc25f2f7a6267ae7a7bd0.jpeg

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here