Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tell me about Tv aerial advice.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
NSC knows most things does it know a solution to this???

Our tv aerial picks up **** all, so it needs to be replaced, we have freesat downstairs but we need the aerial for upstairs, is it worth getting a new one to go on the roof, or in the loft, or should we try indoor ones???

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Indoor ones are rubbish. Digital signals are very direction specific so aerials need to be precisely aligned.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Get a good local supplier round to have a look and they'll advise you depending on what you want/need. We ended up with one on the roof on a longer pole because of rubbish reception here (in a bit of a dip and near trees). Aerial feeds 3 TVs upstairs including through an HD freeview box. All the downstairs ones are Sky-fed.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Get a good local supplier round to have a look and they'll advise you depending on what you want/need. We ended up with one on the roof on a longer pole because of rubbish reception here (in a bit of a dip and near trees). Aerial feeds 3 TVs upstairs including through an HD freeview box. All the downstairs ones are Sky-fed.

this is why NSC is the best football forum, because you can get advice on things that aren't football :moo:.

So I assume since I also live near lots of trees I'll need to get one installed on the roof, which is annoying, because I was just hoping for a quick bodge job in the loft :( .

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
this is why NSC is the best football forum, because you can get advice on things that aren't football :moo:.

So I assume since I also live near lots of trees I'll need to get one installed on the roof, which is annoying, because I was just hoping for a quick bodge job in the loft :( .

Dunno, I'm no expert - probably depends where the trees are in relation to the direction of your digital signal. Can't see a loft job working for digital TV though. The days of sticking a coat hanger in the aerial socket are over :D

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Our tv aerial picks up **** all, so it needs to be replaced, we have freesat downstairs but we need the aerial for upstairs, is it worth getting a new one to go on the roof, or in the loft, or should we try indoor ones???

I've been looking at this also recently.

If you already have freesat downstairs you can run more cabling off your dish.

You could also consider subscribing to Sky for 12 months and at the same time go for the multi-room. You wiil end up with two boxes to keep and all wiring done. You should get all of this for £20 per month with either £50 or £100 credit back. If you went through a cashback site you would get more dosh back.
Could work out more expensive getting just a new tv aerial installed.

For multiroom you need broadband connection

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I've been looking at this also recently.

If you already have freesat downstairs you can run more cabling off your dish.

You could also consider subscribing to Sky for 12 months and at the same time go for the multi-room. You wiil end up with two boxes to keep and all wiring done. You should get all of this for £20 per month with either £50 or £100 credit back. If you went through a cashback site you would get more dosh back.
Could work out more expensive getting just a new tv aerial installed.

For multiroom you need broadband connection

Agree with this. I replaced the LNB in the dish for about £15 and that enabled ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/quad-satellite-LNBs/b?ie=UTF8&node=528566031 ) and then drilled a hole through the wall into the loft and then into the bedroom and bought a small freesat box ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...eesat,undefined,140&rh=n:560798,k:freesat+box ). We've got a PVR downstairs so two of the 'ports' are used for that. In a few years time when we consider allowing my daughter a tv in her room I can use the remaining port for her room.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
an aerial in the loft will certainly work if high enough, there no obvious obstruction between you and mast (except your roof of course) and you point it reasonably accurately towards the mast. you can find masts from online, take a bearing or use google maps to align to house reckon will be near enough. you may not want the nearest which could be the other side of a hill when you have clear sight of one further away - look at where most neighbour aerials are pointing. watch out for horizontal or vertical alignment and position aerial accordingly.

if all fails then get a fitter, you'll already have an aerial so just pay for fitting.

[MENTION=5208]drew[/MENTION] has the far better option though, i fitted an 8way LNB to the existing old sky dish. biggest problem was needing a drill long enough to go through the wall to run the cable. i've seen long bits in Range or similar that are cheap and will last one job (know whats in the wall and on the other side !!!)

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing

We live down in a dip and signal is poor, I thought if I could make I better myself and with a little bit of research and installing it myself I found a great aerial from amazon. External one which fits on a wall. It is excellent.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00D76GS...UTF8&colid=2RTRMGH8WW2PL&coliid=IEAGIOXPD86F3

We have the old version of that one. But everything you need comes in the box and we get good signal now.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've got an aerial in the loft pointing at Heathfield & get decent reception which is odd, as I live in Istanbul*

*Not really

Jim_AFCB

Oct 9, 2010
Have a look around your locality and see what other aerial installations on nearby houses are like.

If they are on tall poles with relatively beefy antennas then the chances are you'll need an outside antenna as well. If you are in a good reception area then you may well get away with one in the loft. I am 39km more-ore-less line of sight from the Rowridge transmitter on the IOW, so small antennas low down do the trick.

Have a look on Check-a-Trade.com and find a local installer with excellent feedback.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here