Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Meat eaters of NSC! Advice needed please. :)

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
A question if I may...

If a 28 day matured fillet steak is a 10 for tenderness, where would a 28 day matured sirloin steak come on the scale?

If it makes any difference, both are British cuts.

:)

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
A question if I may...

If a 28 day matured fillet steak is a 10 for tenderness, where would a 28 day matured sirloin steak come on the scale?http://www.northstandchat.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=6943934

If it makes any difference, both are British cuts.

:)

I am not a meat expert,as such, but I reckon that the Sirloin may well be an 8.
Many say a sirloin has a better flavour than a fillet,but for me, I favour the fillet(as a rare treat) ...excuse the pun!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
I am not a meat expert,as such, but I reckon that the Sirloin may well be an 8.
Many say a sirloin has a better flavour than a fillet,but for me, I favour the fillet(as a rare treat) ...excuse the pun!

Thanks.. that's gives me a benchmark. Preference for a well done, but not blackened steak. :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Irrespective of the intention of such a question, there can only be one answer:-

Q) Meat eaters of NSC! Advice needed please. :)

A) Bacon sandwich.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Thanks.. that's gives me a benchmark. Preference for a well done, but not blackened steak. :)

1ruined.jpg

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'd concur with an "8", given your parameters, and comparing like for like in terms of cooking. However, the more you cook a steak beyond the first 30 seconds on each side (the 30 seconds varies somewhat on thickness) the more you shrink the fibres and the more moisture is lost. The shorter the fibres and the less water, the tougher. So - I would question your underlying measure. If "10" is the highest score for tenderness, then a rare to medium rare fillet scores a 10. A well done fillet scores maybe 5 and a well done sirloin maybe a 3.

EDIT: the above is simply a more polite version of [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] 's point!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
I'd concur with an "8", given your parameters, and comparing like for like in terms of cooking. However, the more you cook a steak beyond the first 30 seconds on each side (the 30 seconds varies somewhat on thickness) the more you shrink the fibres and the more moisture is lost. The shorter the fibres and the less water, the tougher. So - I would question your underlying measure. If "10" is the highest score for tenderness, then a rare to medium rare fillet scores a 10. A well done fillet scores maybe 5 and a well done sirloin maybe a 3.

EDIT: the above is simply a more polite version of [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] 's point!

Thanks for the science :D

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011

This also affects the way your body processes the steak and as such a well done (aka ruined) steak is a lot less healthy than a rare or medium rare steak. This is because the fibers breakdown more the longer you cook it (as per the above) and you body doesnt need to work as hard to break them down in your stomach, as such you actually burn alot less calories as part of the digestive process.

Therefore for the sake of taste, tenderness and health NEVER have a steak cooked past medium rare.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here