Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Queen's Speech

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
David Cameron said the 26-bill package was a "programme for working people" that would create full employment and "bring our country together".

The measures were unveiled by the Queen amid the usual pomp and ceremony.

The proposed legislation includes:

An EU referendum by the end of 2017

A ban on income tax, VAT and national insurance increases for five years

A freeze on working age benefits, tax credits and child benefit for two years from 2016/17

30 hours free childcare a week for three and four-year-olds by 2017

Cutting the total amount one household can claim in benefits from £26,000 to £23,000

More devolution for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and "English votes for English laws" at Westminster

500 more free schools and more failing and "coasting" schools turned into Academies

A ban on so-called legal highs

A "truly seven day" NHS by 2020

A full list and how they work:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32898443

Sounds good to me, anyone else effected by this or have any views on any of it?

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
What happened to the Bill of Rights ?

Senior Tories are telling David Cameron he must abandon a “deeply offensive” threat to withdraw from the European convention on human rights if he is to win support for his plans to repeal the Human Rights Act.

As the government confirmed in the Queen’s speech that it had put on hold plans to replace the act with a British bill of rights, senior party figures called for a major rewriting of the Tory proposals that were drawn up last year. These said that Britain should withdraw from the convention if parliament failed to secure the right to veto judgments from the European court of human rights.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Senior Tories are telling David Cameron he must abandon a “deeply offensive” threat to withdraw from the European convention on human rights if he is to win support for his plans to repeal the Human Rights Act.

As the government confirmed in the Queen’s speech that it had put on hold plans to replace the act with a British bill of rights, senior party figures called for a major rewriting of the Tory proposals that were drawn up last year. These said that Britain should withdraw from the convention if parliament failed to secure the right to veto judgments from the European court of human rights.

So another broken pledge then ?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I'd like to thank the Tories for their magnanimity -- while they're unwilling to do anything to make most people's lives better, they are willing, as compensation, to make a not-inconsiderable number of other people's lives worse, and allow us to watch, and cheer.

Surely that must count as something.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
apart from the idiotic Housing bill, unworkable snoopers charter and costly HS2, cant see why anyone would get upset about anything in there. and considering two of those have been supported by Labour in the past, we could have a refreshing few years of harmonious politics without opposition for the sake of it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"programme for working people"

What does this actually mean?

I'll move onto this when I've figured out Big Society

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I know it's tradition and they are page boys, but I really wish she would get adults to carry her dress behind her, instead of children.

Creeps me out.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
500 more free schools which can employ unqualified teachers. Shocking. Woud you be happy to go to a surgery run by unqualified doctors?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Tories have included "vote for life" in the Queens Speech. This will remove the current 15 year limit on voting rights for expats.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
The most terrifying policies of this government are the ones they don't mention or just sweep under the carpet.

The snooper's charter, TTIP, the privatisation of our NHS and of course the impending cuts, cuts and more cuts that will negatively affect us all.

I also find their 1920's approach to the issue of drugs quite depressing.

This government is sad times for the country and its people, but great news for the global wealthy elites.

I'd add the extension of right to buy - You want a short term policy that benefits a few individuals at the cost to many more and society as a whole? Ladies & gentleman, the Conservative party.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
500 more free schools which can employ unqualified teachers. Shocking. Woud you be happy to go to a surgery run by unqualified doctors?

Given the proposed "truly 7 days" NHS, and the lack of medics, maybe unqualified doctors is their next move?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here