Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any Sussex sporting heroes of the last 5-10 years?

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Someone has asked me for a short list of Sussex sporting heroes from the past five (or ten if five draws a blank) years, but I don't really know much about local sport.

Is there any Albion figure (other than Tony Bloom) who would fit that hero category or did most end up blotting their copybooks, eg Poyet etc?

What about cricket - a sport I know exactly zero about - any Sussex cricketers of recent years that fit the 'hero' category?

Other sports - athletics? tennis? rugby? anything Olympic? Preferably sportspeople rather than team owners etc, and those whose actions from 2010 or 2005 to the present day make them sporting heroes.

I suspect it will be a very short list, but any suggestions gratefully received. Cheers muchly.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Someone has asked me for a short list of Sussex sporting heroes from the past five (or ten if five draws a blank) years, but I don't really know much about local sport.

Is there any Albion figure (other than Tony Bloom) who would fit that hero category or did most end up blotting their copybooks, eg Poyet etc?

What about cricket - a sport I know exactly zero about - any Sussex cricketers of recent years that fit the 'hero' category?

Other sports - athletics? tennis? rugby? anything Olympic? Preferably sportspeople rather than team owners etc, and those whose actions from 2010 or 2005 to the present day make them sporting heroes.

I suspect it will be a very short list, but any suggestions gratefully received. Cheers muchly.

When you say Sussex heroes, do you mean born and/or brought up here or playing for Sussex teams?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
To add to my comment: if you want Sussex born sporting heroes, I'd suggest skier Chemmy Alcott, boxer Chris Eubanks Jr and England rugby player Joe Marler

If you want to go back 10 years, James Kirtley played cricket for Sussex and England (as did Matt Prior and Chris Jordan, but they weren't Sussex born)

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Many thanks. They wouldn't need to be born in Sussex necessarily. Someone who is a hero to Sussex sports fans (such as a top overseas footballer or cricketer with a Sussex team) is cool too. Cheers.

Jimmy Grimble

Mushy, surely?

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Billy Twelvetrees (not that I follow Rugby particularly) was brought up in Wisborough Green and attended the Weald in Billingshurst.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Someone who is a hero to Sussex sports fans (such as a top overseas footballer or cricketer with a Sussex team) is cool too. Cheers.

_82456675_calderon.jpg

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Matt Prior easily the standout. Moved to Brighton at age 10 with his family and became world class cricketer.

Was part of first Sussex County Champions and won Ashes Test series home and away.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Joe Gatting - scored for the Albion, got a ton on his debut for Sussex. 'Tis the stuff of dreams.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Sussex Cricketer born in Sussex: Jason Lewry (621 wickets at 27.10 - never got a sniff of an England Cap while all sorts of garbage bowlers from 'Big Counties' got a chance)

Sussex Cricketer born elsewhere: Mushtaq Ahmed - surely I don't need to quote Mushy's Stats!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Johanna Konta, the Australian-born tennis player lives in Sussex. She's UK's number two apparently. I realise that's on par with Saudi Arabia's ski jump champion but she's a Sussex sportswoman

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Joe Launchbury was a pupil at Christ's Hospital and played for Worthing RFC too.

Add Joe Marler to Billy and Joe in the England rugby team comes from Eastbourne and completes a trio of Sussex player making up recent England teams.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Sorry, apparently I need to clarify! Previous post was aimed at the picture not the OP:smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here