Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Day 2015

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
Today marks exactly three weeks until the ninth annual Sussex Day. Tuesday 16th June 2015.

Sussex Day is the county day for the historic county of Sussex and is celebrated on 16 June each year to celebrate the rich heritage and culture of Sussex. The event takes place on St Richard's Day, the feast day of St Richard of Chichester, Sussex's patron saint. The date marks the anniversary of the translation of St Richard's body from its original burial place in the nave of Chichester Cathedral to an elaborate shrine at the Cathedral on 16 June 1276.

I wondered if any of my fellow Sussaxons have any plans for celebrating our county day? Are there any events going on in your village or town, on or near Sussex Day?

I am again arranging the Sussex Flag to be flown in each of the Rapes (medieval administrative divisions) of Sussex; since 2013 the Sussex flag has been flown annually in each of the six ancient Rapes in important, historic locations in the week running up to Sussex Day, 16th June. Large county flags are hoisted over the Council House in Chichester, the Town Hall in Arundel, from St Peter’s Church in Upper Beeding representing Bramber, from Lewes Castle, from St Nicholas’ Church in Pevensey, and from Hastings Castle; each representing their respective historic division of Sussex.

Other Sussex Day events going on, that I've found are...

Saturday 13th June: Sussex Day Fete. St John's Garden, Southbourne, 2pm - 4:30pm

Sunday 14th June: Sussex Day on Alfriston Tye. Alfriston, Midday - 4pm
Sussex Day and "LiberTea Seaford". East of Martello Tower, Seaford, Midday - 3pm

Tuesday 16th June: Sussex Day on Chapel Green. Crowbourough, 6pm - 8pm

Come on people of Sussex, let's celebrate our wonderful county on June 16th; Maybe have an extra pint of Harvey's, scoff a Banoffee pie, play a game of Stoolball!? And of course, get ya Sussex Flag out!!! :clap::hilton:punk::cheers::ascarf::vuvu:

We Wunt Be Druv

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Wouldn't it make more sense to do it on a Sunday? The first/second Sunday every June for example.

Tuesday is just a silly day for celebrating anything.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
2000px-Flag_of_Sussex.svg.png

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
EAST, EAST, EAST SUSSEX :moo:

When I have to put my address, unless it's using one of those horrendous internety type drop downy lists, I always state my county as simply SUSSEX. You can stuff your East and West somewhere dark.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Harveys currently has a St Richard ale going, with hops from the county.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Wtf? A Sussex day? Good grief...Yorkshire folk suddenly seem less annoying!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Today marks exactly three weeks until the ninth annual Sussex Day. Tuesday 16th June 2015.

Sussex Day is the county day for the historic county of Sussex and is celebrated on 16 June each year to celebrate the rich heritage and culture of Sussex. The event takes place on St Richard's Day, the feast day of St Richard of Chichester, Sussex's patron saint. The date marks the anniversary of the translation of St Richard's body from its original burial place in the nave of Chichester Cathedral to an elaborate shrine at the Cathedral on 16 June 1276.

I wondered if any of my fellow Sussaxons have any plans for celebrating our county day? Are there any events going on in your village or town, on or near Sussex Day?

I am again arranging the Sussex Flag to be flown in each of the Rapes (medieval administrative divisions) of Sussex; since 2013 the Sussex flag has been flown annually in each of the six ancient Rapes in important, historic locations in the week running up to Sussex Day, 16th June. Large county flags are hoisted over the Council House in Chichester, the Town Hall in Arundel, from St Peter’s Church in Upper Beeding representing Bramber, from Lewes Castle, from St Nicholas’ Church in Pevensey, and from Hastings Castle; each representing their respective historic division of Sussex.

Other Sussex Day events going on, that I've found are...

Saturday 13th June: Sussex Day Fete. St John's Garden, Southbourne, 2pm - 4:30pm

Sunday 14th June: Sussex Day on Alfriston Tye. Alfriston, Midday - 4pm
Sussex Day and "LiberTea Seaford". East of Martello Tower, Seaford, Midday - 3pm

Tuesday 16th June: Sussex Day on Chapel Green. Crowbourough, 6pm - 8pm

Come on people of Sussex, let's celebrate our wonderful county on June 16th; Maybe have an extra pint of Harvey's, scoff a Banoffee pie, play a game of Stoolball!? And of course, get ya Sussex Flag out!!! :clap::hilton:punk::cheers::ascarf::vuvu:

We Wunt Be Druv

Have you run all this stuff past Mustafa:moo:

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Wouldn't it make more sense to do it on a Sunday? The first/second Sunday every June for example.

Tuesday is just a silly day for celebrating anything.

It's a good day for getting the schools involved.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I love my Sussex. And I rather enjoy our [MENTION=29098]Sussaxon[/MENTION] 's patriotism. Each year I organise a walk in memory of my Mum through the wilds of our countyside at that time. So it's a perfect combo. Perhaps our resident patriot could guide me to a site that has a shirt I can buy and wear to walk the fields in pride.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
When I have to put my address, unless it's using one of those horrendous internety type drop downy lists, I always state my county as simply SUSSEX. You can stuff your East and West somewhere dark.
This!
Wtf? A Sussex day? Good grief...Yorkshire folk suddenly seem less annoying!
Obviously an immigrant to Sussex![emoji12]

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
I love my Sussex. And I rather enjoy our [MENTION=29098]Sussaxon[/MENTION] 's patriotism. Each year I organise a walk in memory of my Mum through the wilds of our countyside at that time. So it's a perfect combo. Perhaps our resident patriot could guide me to a site that has a shirt I can buy and wear to walk the fields in pride.

Thanks! The Seagull Love Review sell quality shirts with the Sussex Martlets adorned on them... http://www.tslr.bigcartel.com/product/tslr-sussex-t-shirt
Unfortunately, it says they're sold out, however I've seen on Twitter that they're getting more in soon!

Enjoy your Sussex Day :D

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here