Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are the Albion in Championship:Group C?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Now that the Championship has become Premiers little brother, where do we realistically compete?

Group A - top 6 - I can't see us finishing here again, we blew our single realistic chance! And history shows, Liberal governments are more regular than BHA top 6 finishes.

Group b - next 6 - outside chance but I think we've dropped out of contention for this league too now.

Group c - welcome to the Albions new level...! yay, competing to finish in the bottom half of mid table. But the seats are comfortable and we win best pie, frendliest fans etc whilst watching other championship side loanees. Except when they play us obviously.

Or Group d - we appear all too ready to try this division but hey, let's hope for better in these new Mini leagues , so sportingly created by 'them in charge!

I need cheering up :( State the case for doing better please someone! Please!!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I always thought that the Championship was extremely competitive and most teams highly capable of winning any fixture on the day. Usually there are around 18 teams looking to finish in the top 6 and hoping for promotion, and only a couple who are looking to avoid relegation and stay up (like Rotherham) It's a difficult league to predict, and has plenty of shock results along the way making it a nightmare to bet on that successfully compared to a lot of other leagues.

Palace were struggling the season before they were promoted, no one expected teams like Barnsley or Burnley to go up in recent years but they have managed it, so why can't we have a good season and be there or there abouts once again?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We start off in Group A based on alphabetical order.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Watford who were promoted were 13th in 2013/14, Boro were 12th last season and 16th before that, Derby were 19th as recently as 2010/11, Ipswich were 15th, 14th and 9th before being in the top 6 this year. Wigan and us were in the top 6 last season and Reading 7th and now look at us. Look at the trajectory of Wolves and Brentford going one way and Fulham and Cardiff the other. Its almost impossible to predict the Championship. There's certainly plenty of precedent for teams to perform as badly as us one season and then do well the next and conversely the reverse as this season proved.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The whole point of the second division being considerably better than the first division is based on the simple fact of:-

Anything can happen - and it usually does.

What 'group' were Watford and Bournemouth in 12 months ago?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The whole point of the second division being considerably better than the first division is based on the simple fact of:-

Exactly.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

The group with a solid base that had been together a while, and then ADDED quality rather than losing it. It's really not rocket science this football lark and yes I did tip Bournemouth as this year's dark horses before a ball was kicked.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The group with a solid base that had been together a while, and then ADDED quality rather than losing it. It's really not rocket science this football lark and yes I did tip Bournemouth as this year's dark horses before a ball was kicked.

Bloody hell. IG. We'd better have your tips for 2015/16 now so i can pay off the mortgage.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Bloody hell. IG. We'd better have your tips for 2015/16 now so i can pay off the mortgage.

Exactly, predicting football is complete bollox. A £50m budget and a top manager can get you relegated as sure as a £2m budget and an unknown coach promoted from reserve team duties can get you promoted.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Group B, however, with the unpredictability of the Championship I'd combine groups B & C anyway as it seems that there are actually very few teams you can be sure of finishing at either end.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Now that the Championship has become Premiers little brother, where do we realistically compete?

Group A - top 6 - I can't see us finishing here again, we blew our single realistic chance! And history shows, Liberal governments are more regular than BHA top 6 finishes.

Group b - next 6 - outside chance but I think we've dropped out of contention for this league too now.

Group c - welcome to the Albions new level...! yay, competing to finish in the bottom half of mid table. But the seats are comfortable and we win best pie, frendliest fans etc whilst watching other championship side loanees. Except when they play us obviously.

Or Group d - we appear all too ready to try this division but hey, let's hope for better in these new Mini leagues , so sportingly created by 'them in charge!

I need cheering up :( State the case for doing better please someone! Please!!

Watford who were promoted were 13th in 2013/14, Boro were 12th last season and 16th before that, Derby were 19th as recently as 2010/11, Ipswich were 15th, 14th and 9th before being in the top 6 this year. Wigan and us were in the top 6 last season and Reading 7th and now look at us. Look at the trajectory of Wolves and Brentford going one way and Fulham and Cardiff the other. Its almost impossible to predict the Championship. There's certainly plenty of precedent for teams to perform as badly as us one season and then do well the next and conversely the reverse as this season proved.

Up to last season the Championship was ridiculously tight with any team able to take points from any other. To a degree that went out of the window last season with a very obvious leading group of four and some teams. including us, never likely to get above 17th. I can completely see how you could get 4 mini leagues out of that - but not how you could put specific teams in to those groups. You would have done well to tip Bournemouth as champions (I didn't) and Brentford and Ipswich for the playoffs (I thought mid table for both) but Watford was hardly a difficult tip with the likes of Vydra and Foresteri at times unable to get a starting spot. Norwich were also an obvious "group A" side.

So, there is scope for an unfancied side or two to have a great season and there is no reason that cannot be us IF we recruit well. We need two goalscorers, a new young-ish (dare I say Cook-esque) centre back, a new keeper (sorry but I'm torn on Stockdale and I think there are better keepers out there) and quality full backs on both sides of the pitch.

Get that and we'll have every chance of B+. Fail and we're staring at another campaign where we hope there are three worse teams.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This second division fluctuates all the time - the idea of four mini-leagues within it just isn't applicable, IMHO. Yes, there'll always be a few teams fighting over the promotion and play-off places, and a few in the relegation scrap, but these aren't going to be the same teams year after year.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
In 4 seasons we have had 2 A's a B and a C. Not bad really when you think about it.

Next season we will once again be competing in the most unpredictable, exciting league in the world. Enjoy it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In 4 seasons we have had 2 A's a B and a C. Not bad really when you think about it.

Next season we will once again be competing in the most unpredictable, exciting league in the world. Enjoy it.

It is indeed a fabulous league which I am happy just to stay in but we really do need to start being much more entertaining to watch. I'd settle for lots of 5-4 wins or defeats and mid table quite happily!! We were dull under Oscar though necessity of injuries, last season we were just dire, please can we be entertaining this season and stay up. Group B or C with an occasional flirt with Group A during the season would be just fine thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here