Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spike Island - 25 years ago !!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The 25th anniversary is tomorrow incredibly. Who did go ? Anyone on here?
To my entire regret I never managed to make it there. Couldn't afford it.

I was there for their celebrated Escape Club gig only a year beforehand when 50 people turned up on a cold Tuesday night.
but 27,000 were at Spike Island only 15 months later.
I think i didn't meet anyone who didn't have that album in 1989/90.

Married someone who did go of course. She thought it smelled and couldn't hear em. :)

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
I've heard it was crap. Bad sound, bad road route etc. As somebody who had built it up in my mind I don't think you missed much.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The 25th anniversary is tomorrow incredibly.

Eeeeeeek :eek:

Who did go ? Anyone on here?
To my entire regret I never managed to make it there. Couldn't afford it.

Nope. Same here.

I was there for their celebrated Escape Club gig only a year beforehand when 50 people turned up on a cold Tuesday night.

Quite jealous now.

I think i didn't meet anyone who didn't have that album in 1989/90.

I remember more or less playing it non stop for both years.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Brilliant day out, can't believe it was 25 years ago. Unfortunately the sound system was appalling meaning you could hardly hear Ian Brown who's not exactly the greatest singer at the best of times.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Brilliant day out, can't believe it was 25 years ago. Unfortunately the sound system was appalling meaning you could hardly hear Ian Brown who's not exactly the greatest singer at the best of times.

Reading in 1996 was probably my most depressing gig ever. Yet their reunion in 2013 at Finsbury Park was terrific.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Reading in 1996 was probably my most depressing gig ever. Yet their reunion in 2013 at Finsbury Park was terrific.
I'm not convinced that they are suitable for big outdoor venues, the Reading gig was notoriously awful by all accounts, so feel for you having to see a great band die on there arse. A mate enjoyed the Finsbury Park gig, but I would rather they put out a new album than see, nearly 50-something's trying to recreate the past.

Last edited:

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
image.jpg

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Saw them in 89 but had no inclination for Spike Isand at all & can't say I regret the decision. Have not seen them since & don't think I want to. Preserve the memory and all that malarkey.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Yet their reunion in 2013 at Finsbury Park was terrific.

I really didn't enjoy it that much - the audience contained a supremely high proportion of absolute bellends who were old enough to have grandchildren who should know better.

I turned down a ticket to the Brighton Centre in 95 due to being completely skint and I regret that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I could have seen them in front of a hundred or so fellow students but due to only being able to afford one gig elected to see Jesus Jones the following night. I did see them many years later at The Centre, possibly 95. They were shockingly disappointing but only Brown and Mani were left at this point.

I recall seeing some footage of Spike Island and Brown's vocals were awful. But I don't want to knock that particular gathering as it wasn't really just about the music was it?

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
I could have seen them in front of a hundred or so fellow students but due to only being able to afford one gig elected to see Jesus Jones the following night. I did see them many years later at The Centre, possibly 95. They were shockingly disappointing but only Brown and Mani were left at this point.

John Squire was there as well. Was only Reni who had left at that stage. These type of gigs tend to get vastly exaggerated over time. Been to loads of gigs but if one turned in to a myth status such as spike Island id probably say "yeah was good and I was pissed".

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

I recall seeing some footage of Spike Island and Brown's vocals were awful. But I don't want to knock that particular gathering as it wasn't really just about the music was it?

that's a bit like Decca signing Brian Poole and the Tremeloes

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here