Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Advice for someone wanting to play Guitar.

Shipley8312

Aug 12, 2014
hey all

I want to start learning how to play acoustic guitar so im looking for some advice on the size,model and the sort of price i should be looking to pay for a first guitar.

I will also be wanting lessons so if you know anyone who teaches in the haywards heath area please let me know

Thanks

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I much prefer acoustic to electric. Almost everything comes down to preference. I much prefer nylon guitar strings to steel for example. For you, as a beginner, I'd say go with nylon strings as they'll be easier on your finger tips. I'd say give the Yamaha C40 or the Redwood CG-144 a try,

You'll only really find what you like yourself by going to a guitar shop and trying a few out.

Shipley8312

Aug 12, 2014
I much prefer acoustic to electric. Almost everything comes down to preference. I much prefer nylon guitar strings to steel for example. For you, as a beginner, I'd say go with nylon strings as they'll be easier on your finger tips. I'd say give the Yamaha C40 or the Redwood CG-144 a try,

You'll only really find what you like yourself by going to a guitar shop and trying a few out.

thank you ill look those up now

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
No matter which type of music you want to play, I reckon toughen up the finger muscles and finger tips at first by getting a steel string acoustic. It is painfully tough going at first but it gets easier fairly quickly and after that either a nylon string acoustic or an electric will feel so much easier to play, plus you'll always benefit from having extra finger strength when playing any of them. And it sounds good. As well as chord positions etc, developing finger strength (missus) is, I think, very important early on.

The good thing is that decent guitars are SO much cheaper than they used to be: you can get decent beginner ones for 100-150 quid or even less. Until you really get going, I personally don't think it's worth splashing out on an expensive one until you're sure you're into it, then the sky's the limit. Really cheapo ones often have a very high "action", or the distance between strings and fretboard. Avoid them.

Shipley8312

Aug 12, 2014
No matter which type of music you want to play, I reckon toughen up the finger muscles and finger tips at first by getting a steel string acoustic. It is painfully tough going at first but it gets easier fairly quickly and after that either a nylon string acoustic or an electric will feel so much easier to play, plus you'll always benefit from having extra finger strength when playing any of them. And it sounds good. As well as chord positions etc, developing finger strength (missus) is, I think, very important early on.

The good thing is that decent guitars are SO much cheaper than they used to be: you can get decent beginner ones for 100-150 quid or even less. Until you really get going, I personally don't think it's worth splashing out on an expensive one until you're sure you're into it, then the sky's the limit. Really cheapo ones often have a very high "action", or the distance between strings and fretboard. Avoid them.

thats great cheers

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
On a related subject, how did those that can play learn how to play? Is YouTube the best approach or via a book or are lessons the only realistic way?

Ta

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Nylon strings are fine if you want to play classical guitar music or Spanish flamenco style, but for anything else you need steel strings. They might hurt a bit more at first, but hey, nothing has to be easy! Buy from a 'proper' music shop - don't be tempted by cheapies from a cash converter type place, a charity shop or a catalogue. Probably best avoid the cheapest when you go to the music shop too, but don't go for anything ridiculously more expensive.
Best way to learn is by asking questions and getting tips from guitar playing friends, but if this option is not available, then probably lessons.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
hey all

I want to start learning how to play acoustic guitar so im looking for some advice on the size,model and the sort of price i should be looking to pay for a first guitar.

I will also be wanting lessons so if you know anyone who teaches in the haywards heath area please let me know

Thanks

Good luck to you, if you live in a flat though please be considerate to your neighbours, don't play after 9:30 at night etc.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
On a related subject, how did those that can play learn how to play? Is YouTube the best approach or via a book or are lessons the only realistic way?

Ta

I did enough lessons to learn a few chords and finger picking but it didn't really work for me. Instead I turned to youtube and loved it. I personally enjoy fingerstyle guitar and there's a few unbelievably talent people out there who share their work. I sub to this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W69zq1G9TzA&list=PL9F06F3462DA6064C&index=41

He makes his tabs available so I've learnt a couple, not quite to his exacting standards, but it's a brilliant feeling,

Otherwise there's more traditional youtube lessons, but I prefer these,

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

Ta

I'd suggest good beginners' books with chord shapes, firstly open ones then moving onto barre chords and then lead/scales etc follow naturally from that. The most important thing is to play along with music that you like, I reckon: you start realizing the little tricks here and there that they all use.

From what I've seen on any music tuition YouTubes, they're far more concerned about the "teachers" showing off how good they are rather than actually teaching, IMHO. I've never learned anything from them.

Shipley8312

Aug 12, 2014
Good luck to you, if you live in a flat though please be considerate to your neighbours, don't play after 9:30 at night etc.

noisey neighbours are a nightmare id never want to be one, its part of the reason i have chosen acoustic guitar it can be played softly

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I'd suggest finding someone who is at roughly the same level as you, not necessarily guitar (maybe trumpet, saxophone, piano, singer, whatever), and have fun learning and playing tunes together.

I am learning the guitar and it is hard work especially if you have young children. I have an acoustic and electric guitar. I would suggest getting an electric guitar to learn with, they can be a bit more forgiving with the sound if you are rubbish like me. The acoustic really enhances how badly you are playing. Once you have the basic skills, then switch to acoustic. Just be sure to stick at it.

Shipley8312

Aug 12, 2014
I am learning the guitar and it is hard work especially if you have young children. I have an acoustic and electric guitar. I would suggest getting an electric guitar to learn with, they can be a bit more forgiving with the sound if you are rubbish like me. The acoustic really enhances how badly you are playing. Once you have the basic skills, then switch to acoustic. Just be sure to stick at it.

your from durrington? ever drink in the golden lion?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

Got bored of playing "The one and only" Chesney?

CherryInHove

Apr 16, 2015
If you're happy to learn on an electric guitar and have an Xbox/PS3 or PC that can play games, I highly recommend getting "Rocksmith 2014". Basically, you plug your guitar into the Console/Computer and it teaches you how to play.

It starts off really easy and then adjusts the difficulty dynamically depending on how well you are performing. It has tons of songs and lessons and I find that the "gamemanship" of it makes me play and practice for longer than I would without the game.

Shipley8312

Aug 12, 2014
If you're happy to learn on an electric guitar and have an Xbox/PS3 or PC that can play games, I highly recommend getting "Rocksmith 2014". Basically, you plug your guitar into the Console/Computer and it teaches you how to play.

It starts off really easy and then adjusts the difficulty dynamically depending on how well you are performing. It has tons of songs and lessons and I find that the "gamemanship" of it makes me play and practice for longer than I would without the game.

i had thought of this however i do live in a flat and that may drive the neighbours mad lol

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here