Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Charcoal obviously.

Gas is just like having a COOKER outside, it's not a proper barbecue.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
The annual BBQ thread. My opinion hasn't changes in the last 12 years. Real men cook on Charcoal.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I don't barbeque anymore, but when i did, charcoal or cooking directly over a wood fire ( or more accurately over the embers). Don't see the point of a gas barbeque.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Gas is really just cooking, BBQ'ing can only be done over charcoal.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Wood or charcoal

buschbeck-carmen-bbq-grill.jpg

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Charcoal for me and I have had both over the years.
First of all, it would be nice if the weather warmed up a bit.Reckon May has been pretty chilly.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I've got a large gas one, but I bought a couple of bags of lava rocks and put them on a rack between the griddle and the flame.
You don't get the charcoal effect, which is bad for your health anyway, but when the meat fat, or any other fluids, drip down onto them it ignites and you get a really nice barbeque flavour that way.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
The annual BBQ thread. My opinion hasn't changes in the last 12 years. Real men cook on Charcoal.

Are you suggesting that Hank Hill isn't a real man?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Gas, on a proper setup with baffles etc not two piddly burners

If I want cooking to be a challenge I'll cook something more interesting than burgers and steaks, inside.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Real men cook on Charcoal.

Real men politely advise their wives to study the extensive works of Nigella or order a decent take away.

BBQs should be banned under some sort of health law.

And anyone who buys a BBQ and then slaps cheap 90% dust filled sausages and chicken thighs on it should be locked up.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've got a large gas one, but I bought a couple of bags of lava rocks and put them on a rack between the griddle and the flame.
You don't get the charcoal effect, which is bad for your health anyway, but when the meat fat, or any other fluids, drip down onto them it ignites and you get a really nice barbeque flavour that way.

This. The massive convenience of gas outweighs the sometimes slightly inferior result for me.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Gas? GAS!? for a BBQ!?

I'd never show my face again if I used GAS.

However, I do CHEAT a little with my coals now. I use one of those coal starter columns where they produce perfectly hot coals to then pour into the bbq. It's been magnificent.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I was always a staunchly charcoal man but now we have a fantastic 3-burner outback and it's fantastic. Anyone who tells you you don't get the same flavour with gas is FIBBING.

I did a Full English on the barbecue for the first time yesterday, it was immense.

I also use it pretty much every day from May to September, which would be somewhat time consuming with a charcoal barbecue!

Last edited:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I've sussed out how to keep it at 200 degrees with the lid down by regulating the burners.
This way I cook roast dinners etc. especially in the summer and Christmas, keeping the heat outdoors.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here