Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cadiz CF - league champions!!!

Cádiz won the Segunda B Group 4 by 11 clear points. That's the third level of Spanish football which is regionalised.

But now they go into a complicated two-chance play off system involving the top 4 from each of 4 graoups, with only 2 teams eventually getting promoted. Ees complicated.

And it's a pig to get through.

Mods - can you edit the thred title please

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The joys of the Segunda B playoffs...god knows who came up with that muddled up system.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'll be rooting, however, for Segunda B1 Champions Real Oviedo in all this confusion.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Oviedo are playing Cádiz in the playoffs. First leg was 1 - 1, second leg at Cádiz on Sunday at 18:00

I'll be rooting for Oviedo as well. It's not been too bad for North Western Spain. Depor stayed up after coming from two down at Barcelona to snatch a point. Sporting Gijon have been promoted to La Liga, unfortunately Celta had a good season but you can't have everything.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Oviedo are playing Cádiz in the playoffs. First leg was 1 - 1, second leg at Cádiz on Sunday at 18:00

If memory serves, the winners of that tie and the winners of the tie between the other two group winners get promoted, the two losers then join in with the teams who finished 2nd-4th in each of the four groups to fight over the other two promotion places?

As for Sunday, as long as Oviedo have Diego Cervero up front I have faith.

If memory serves, the winners of that tie and the winners of the tie between the other two group winners get promoted, the two losers then join in with the teams who finished 2nd-4th in each of the four groups to fight over the other two promotion places?

As for Sunday, as long as Oviedo have Diego Cervero up front I have faith.

I think that's right although it might be that two tie winners then play off with the winner promoted and the loser into the other playoffs. But it makes sense to promote two Group winners and give the losing group winners a second chance.

Either way its bloody difficult to get out of Segunda B; you can win the lague by 30 points and still not get promoted.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I think that's right although it might be that two tie winners then play off with the winner promoted and the loser into the other playoffs. But it makes sense to promote two Group winners and give the losing group winners a second chance.

Either way its bloody difficult to get out of Segunda B; you can win the lague by 30 points and still not get promoted.
I THINK that the two tie winners do play off, but its only to decide an overall Segunda B Champion rather than having any bearing on the promotion they earn by winning their 'semi finals'.

Very, very convoluted system, in any case.

Bum! Cádiz blew it, they lost 0-1 at home to Real Oviedo who are now promoted along with Gimnàstic Tarragona :clap2:

But it's not over yet.

Segunda B is regionalised into 4 groups, the second third and fourth of each of four group play off and somehow produce six winners. These six plus the two losers from the first playoffs (one of whom is Cádiz) make 8, and they play off in two groups. The winners of each group are promoted.

As I said, ees complicated - muy complicado!

It's a good job they don't play cricket in Spain, football drags on for ages!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Weird, I was just about to bounce this thread to point out the result from yesterday. :wink:

Nice to see Tarragona go up as well - it's a beautiful town, but obviously I hope Oviedo now go on to beat them for the Segunda B title. :thumbsup:

I can't believe it!

Càdiz CF won their league at a canter to go into a two leg play off for promotion.

They managed to lose this (Congratulations Frutos, by the way)

Never mind, under the complicated arrangements they then get a second bite of the cherry and go into another play off, this time four ways.

They manage to squeeze through the semi-final against Hercules on the away goal, so they are through into another final play off.

Shirley, I thought?

But no. They lost 0 - 2 away to Atletico Bilbao seconds and only drew the home leg 1 - 0

So no promotion - again. The Segunda B is a pig of a league to get out of.

Cádiz won their league by 11 clear points, 35 goals better off than the second place team, and only lost 6 games out of 38 all season.

When it came to the play-offs they payed six games and didn't win one!

And I thought it was frustrating being an Albion fan!

Is it too late to change to Barcelona and Chelsea do you think? :nono:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I can't believe it!

Càdiz CF won their league at a canter to go into a two leg play off for promotion.

They managed to lose this (Congratulations Frutos, by the way)

Never mind, under the complicated arrangements they then get a second bite of the cherry and go into another play off, this time four ways.

They manage to squeeze through the semi-final against Hercules on the away goal, so they are through into another final play off.

Shirley, I thought?

But no. They lost 0 - 2 away to Atletico Bilbao seconds and only drew the home leg 1 - 0

So no promotion - again. The Segunda B is a pig of a league to get out of.

Cádiz won their league by 11 clear points, 35 goals better off than the second place team, and only lost 6 games out of 38 all season.

When it came to the play-offs they payed six games and didn't win one!

And I thought it was frustrating being an Albion fan!

Is it too late to change to Barcelona and Chelsea do you think? :nono:

Pah, I'm an Albion fan, sounds par for the course to me and exactly what I would expect us to do in a similar scenario. Es la vida

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here