Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is it with TK MAX?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This afternoon at loose end, on the way home, we stopped off at the Goldstone Retain Park( Yes I know, bad fan etc) ..and frequented TK MAX. Which is a tad pikey to be fair, however I got a golden shark golf shirt and another golf shirt ....both at 60% off the marked price.

So how do they do this as practically all of their goods be it handbags, shoes, clothes etc are all designer stuff but at really great prices?

Anyone else been there?

PS this is not an advert, I am just intrigued.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I have the impression its old lines. You're basically buying what they, the brand, were selling last year (or "season" as they say in fashion). When they, the brand/ make, get new lines they flog the old lines to TK Max and TK Max flog them to the public at 60% their original retail price.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
One of my guilty pleasures is a good rummage around a TK Maxx. As well as clothing, it can be great for kids' books and toys.

My assumption has always been it's a mixture of past season ranges, end-of-line and bankrupt stock from other retailers. They can buy in large volume at low prices and distribute it around their numerous stores.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have the impression its old lines. You're basically buying what they, the brand, were selling last year (or "season" as they say in fashion). When they, the brand/ make, get new lines they flog the old lines to TK Max and TK Max flog them to the public at 60% their original retail price.

Aaaah. Actually that is what mrs gaffer thought too. Still damn good value on designer golf shirts!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Link to Official Running Thread, few months back got Brooks GTS14 running trainers for £32 from TK Maxx. Not from where the North Stand should be but in Worthing.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
I was told TK Max have an agreement with various catalogues and purchase returned items for a discounted amount and then sell them on as catalogue companies don't re sell items that get sent back once labels or packaging have been removed.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When my wife has wanted something I have suggested TK Maxx in Brighton but she refuses to go in there as she says it is so disorganised and badly laid out it takes too long to look for anything amongst the jumble.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Always have a mooch around TKs if there is one nearby. Being a non-fashion non-label conscious 48 year old they usually have some cracking bargains. Have recently got dirt cheap running shorts, technical tee shirts, golf shirts, kitchen knives and other gadgets and a couple of top-quality fleece tops.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
This afternoon at loose end, on the way home, we stopped off at the Goldstone Retain Park( Yes I know, bad fan etc) ..and frequented TK MAX. Which is a tad pikey to be fair, however I got a golden shark golf shirt and another golf shirt ....both at 60% off the marked price.

So how do they do this as practically all of their goods be it handbags, shoes, clothes etc are all designer stuff but at really great prices?

Anyone else been there?

Also visited today as just round corner etc.. You just need to get lucky I guess, a few one offs, end of lines blah blah blah, you just need to have absolutely zero expectations.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
It's a marmite shop. Personally I enjoy living life to the MAX, especially cheap designer jeans and cheap unique footwear. That said, the Hove branch is bloody terrible, Goldstone Ground aside.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
It's been years since I have been inside TXMax. They never seemed to make at attempt to present the goods nicely. I remember it being like a jumble sale with half of it on the floor. At leasr Primark makes an attempt to display the clothes attractively.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

Anyone else been there?

last years stock and lots from SE Asia

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Soup kitchens, food handouts and then when you think you've hit rock bottom, you shop at TK Max.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I spent 5 minutes in the Brighton store and an hour later I got to speak to a real live woman. ..... Great shop.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Why is it with this sort of shop makes customers create a messy bedroom? Like Primark, people pick something out and then just throw it to the ground. Utter wankers.

I haven't noticed this problem with Primark, maybe its a area thing? I'm not proud, if its cheap and reasonable quality I'll pay for it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here