Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ayr Hospital surgeon amputated leg with 'rusty hacksaw'

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
A hospital surgeon allegedly used a "rusty hacksaw" to amputate a patient's leg after attempting to get a suitable instrument from B&Q.

The Ayr Hospital surgeon was cutting into the pensioner's limb when the knife struck a metal plate in his leg. After B&Q was found to be closed, the operation went ahead with the sterilised saw found in a storage area.

NHS Ayrshire and Arran said it was investigating an incident "where standard procedures were not followed". A health board source said: "An elderly man who was a patient at Crosshouse Hospital needed a leg amputation and was taken to Ayr Hospital for the operation, because that's where the vascular surgeons are based.

"The operating theatre was prepared, he was anaesthetised and the operation began but it was halted after the surgeon had difficulty cutting further.

"That's when he discovered he'd hit a metal plate that they didn't know about. So he frantically sought advice from the consultant orthopaedic surgeon, who suggested going to B&Q."

Simply unbelievable

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
A hospital surgeon allegedly used a "rusty hacksaw" to amputate a patient's leg after attempting to get a suitable instrument from B&Q.

The Ayr Hospital surgeon was cutting into the pensioner's limb when the knife struck a metal plate in his leg. After B&Q was found to be closed, the operation went ahead with the sterilised saw found in a storage area.

NHS Ayrshire and Arran said it was investigating an incident "where standard procedures were not followed". A health board source said: "An elderly man who was a patient at Crosshouse Hospital needed a leg amputation and was taken to Ayr Hospital for the operation, because that's where the vascular surgeons are based.

"The operating theatre was prepared, he was anaesthetised and the operation began but it was halted after the surgeon had difficulty cutting further.

"That's when he discovered he'd hit a metal plate that they didn't know about. So he frantically sought advice from the consultant orthopaedic surgeon, who suggested going to B&Q."

Simply unbelievable

Agreed. Should have gone to Wickes.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
How long till the Tories get blamed..........

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Why use a rusty hacksaw ? I thought the preferred tool of choice in Scotland was a meat cleaver.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Does the OP just look through the BBC web site and start threads on what they think is interesting ?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
To be fair, when I first read the thread title I thought the surgeon had been assisted by an American Country and Western singer, which would have been interesting than the actual story.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I wonder what " standard procedure" is for encountering a metal plate, where you weren't expecting one is. In Hospitals I used to deal with they borrowed stuff like that from their maintenance department.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Rusty hacksaw. You were lucky.

When I were a lad, Dad removed me tonsils wi' a stick from t' woods covered in dog poop. Did we moan? Did we 'eck as like.

Don't know they're born today, all this namby pamby mollycoddling.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Stuck in the past in Scotland and still using hand tools, a reciprocating saw from Screwfix would have done the job :)

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Rusty hacksaw. You were lucky.

When I were a lad, Dad removed me tonsils wi' a stick from t' woods covered in dog poop. Did we moan? Did we 'eck as like.

Don't know they're born today, all this namby pamby mollycoddling.

Aye,but you tell the kids of today that, and they won't believe you

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
TomandJerry, you seem quite keen on starting threads!

Where in the first post (other than the title) was there any mention of a rusty blade?

First line!

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
That's the unknown source, not a direct quote from the NHS.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-32865032

"The source added: "The saw was sterilised by soaking in some disinfectant solution and the surgeon proceeded to complete the amputation after cutting through the metal plate.

Scottish Conservatives health spokesman Jackson Carlaw said: "This is simply incredible - an indescribable way to treat any patient.

Ann Gow, the board's interim nurse director, said in a statement: "NHS Ayrshire and Arran is currently conducting a significant adverse event review (SAER) into a recent incident within University Hospital Ayr, where standard procedures were not followed."

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here