Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eurovision and why the UK does not win ?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
We can't win anymore. Regardless of the standard of entry. The fact that we qualify without entering the semi-finals, don't take the competition seriously, and the block voting, ensures this.

Whilst we all found Graham Norton hysterical last night, he wasn't appreciated elsewhere. So be it. I love it.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Whilst we all found Graham Norton hysterical last night, he wasn't appreciated elsewhere.

Not sure I understand this bit - surely he only does the UK commentary, so no-one 'elsewhere' would even hear what he was saying or be able to form any kind of opinion of him?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Never mind, the music industry is dominated over many years by British and USA artists, one of our greatest exports, and shows the English language sounds better for music than other languages, hence Sweden's song being sung in English.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Not sure I understand this bit - surely he only does the UK commentary, so no-one 'elsewhere' would even hear what he was saying or be able to form any kind of opinion of him?

Twitter last night showed how he wasn't appreciated by some of his European colleagues who cannot understand why the UK doesn't seem to take it seriously.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
the English language sounds better for music than other languages, hence Sweden's song being sung in English.

Far more likely is that it was sung in English to give it a better chance of winning - the more people who can understand the words, the more people who are likely to vote for it.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Far more likely is that it was sung in English to give it a better chance of winning - the more people who can understand the words, the more people who are likely to vote for it.
But the whole of Europe speaks in lots of different languages?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The reason we don't win is because we put crap songs, sung by crap acts forward. Does anyone remember any of the absolutely appalling songs that we have put forward over the last fifteen years? Honestly, if whoever chooses this dross really thinks we should win with them, they have ears made of pork luncheon meat. I suppose it is easier to blame Johnny Foreigner not voting for us, because they don't like us, and not the fact that all our entries are worse than the sound of fingernails down blackboards

Having said that,I don't watch it myself,

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
But the whole of Europe speaks in lots of different languages?
Yes, but I would bet that most if not all of them also teach their kids English from a young age.

If you're looking for the European language which will be understood by the largest number of potential voters its English, simple as that.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
there's no doubt since the blair-bush love in,voters have turned away from the UK entry

Ireland like Israel before them used to win alot on the sympathy vote

lots of scandinavian winners in the last few years,very neutral aren't they

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Yes, but I would bet that most if not all of them also teach their kids English from a young age.

If you're looking for the European language which will be understood by the largest number of potential voters its English, simple as that.

agree with that,continuing with the french theme when scoring points has had it's day too

trying to give it some sort of european feel to the soirée doesn't really fool anyone

dangull

Feb 24, 2013

Maybe so, but when I listen to a song I don't care to much about the lyrics, rather how it sounds, the French song that won many years ago being an example. Not sure what it was called 'jean jour yamour rat a tat a tat' sounded great, didn't have a clue what it was about.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here