Is Brighton and Hove PROVINCIAL?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
One of the definitions of which is:

"having or showing the manners, viewpoints, etc., considered characteristic of unsophisticated inhabitants of a province; rustic; narrow or illiberal; parochial:"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/provincial

Out and about yesterday I ended up in a discussion about a friend who is emigrating to New Zealand. Said friend has had a couple of businesses in Brighton and Hove for about the last ten years. One guy, who I had not previously met, (and clearly a DFL) opined that after 10 years here Brighton seemed a "bit provincial".

Given the above definition I think Brighton is fairly much the opposite. No it isn't London but it's not, say, Chelmsford either. Is there any way that comment can be justified or (as I suspect) was the guy just being a dick?

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Blimey, Jase. He is wrong. Let's use cosmopolitan as the antonym, Brighton is probably the most cosmopolitan place in the UK outside of London, apart, maybe from Manchester.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Blimey, Jase. He is wrong. Let's use cosmopolitan as the antonym, Brighton is probably the most cosmopolitan place in the UK outside of London, apart, maybe from Manchester.

wait til Bushy sees this!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

"having or showing the manners, viewpoints, etc., considered characteristic of unsophisticated inhabitants of a province; rustic; narrow or illiberal; parochial:"

That being the definition of provincial, you could not find a place that is more diametrically opposite.

The fact that Brighton is not provincial is the reason all those DFLs want to come here. But they do like to let you know that their experiences are so much more sophisticated than yours.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011

Out and about yesterday I ended up in a discussion about a friend who is emigrating to New Zealand. Said friend has had a couple of businesses in Brighton and Hove for about the last ten years. One guy, who I had not previously met, (and clearly a DFL) opined that after 10 years here Brighton seemed a "bit provincial".

Given the above definition I think Brighton is fairly much the opposite. No it isn't London but it's not, say, Chelmsford either. Is there any way that comment can be justified or (as I suspect) was the guy just being a dick?

Brighton provincial he should try living here(Australia).

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I used to live in Reigate and took in German foreign language students to earn a bit of extra cash. I recall one of them asking "which is the best opera house in Reigate?" By her standards, just about every city in the world provincial, I suspect.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost

Is it really cosmopolitan? I disagree. Lincoln has a much greater diverse population than Brighton and its far from 'cosmopolitan'.

Demographics of Brighton don't paint a 'cosmopolitan' city either http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/sit...icdevelopment/Demography_and_Geog_Context.pdf

It's a myth to call Brighton cosmopolitan, often by the pretentious section of the city who believe Brighton is a unique place. It isn't, it doesn't have this 'identity' people claim it has.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
That being the definition of provincial, you could not find a place that is more diametrically opposite.

The fact that Brighton is not provincial is the reason all those DFLs want to come here. But they do like to let you know that their experiences are so much more sophisticated than yours.

If only there was a poster on here who would regale us with those type of stories for us bumpkins living in the sticks...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I used to live in Reigate and took in German foreign language students to earn a bit of extra cash. I recall one of them asking "which is the best opera house in Reigate?" By her standards, just about every city in the world provincial, I suspect.

:lolol:

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1

You suspect right: he's a dickhead. A patronising one at that. Or he doesn't get out much.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's a myth to call Brighton cosmopolitan, often by the pretentious section of the city who believe Brighton is a unique place. It isn't, it doesn't have this 'identity' people claim it has.

It's not unique, you can have that, but it certainly is cosmopolitan and certainly has identity. And I always feel it's best to let others make judgement on such claims and it's certainly the view of the numerous people around the UK and world I've discussed Brighton with.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Cosmepolitan doesn't mean diverse. Just sayin.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Cosmepolitan doesn't mean diverse. Just sayin.

It means embracing it, if you don't have diversity, how do you embrace it. Brighton doesn't have a large ethnic minority community which draws influence from. Unless of course, you can point that out or you're using a different definition of cosmopolitan

It's not unique, you can have that, but it certainly is cosmopolitan and certainly has identity. And I always feel it's best to let others make judgement on such claims and it's certainly the view of the numerous people around the UK and world I've discussed Brighton with.

I've come across a lot of people who believe it is, but having lived away from Brighton for almost 2 years now; I can't see what they see despite being a native of the city. In regards to being cosmopolitan, I can't see it. It is still very much a homogeneous city, unless this has changed in 2 years and we are more exposed to differing cultures within the city. It is a very subjective matter, but having lived away from the city, I cannot see how it can still be called 'cosmopolitan'.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Is it really cosmopolitan? I disagree. Lincoln has a much greater diverse population than Brighton and its far from 'cosmopolitan'.

Demographics of Brighton don't paint a 'cosmopolitan' city either http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/sit...icdevelopment/Demography_and_Geog_Context.pdf

Brighton clearly does have a special identity and to claim otherwise is to be deliberately obtuse. It is not pretentious to recognise this.

Brighton IS tolerant in comparison to many places - people can do what they want, be who they want, and nobody cares.

This is not the case everywhere.

Many people I know love to visit Brighton, because they find it refreshingly different.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

Whilst I agree Brighton isn't all that cosmopolitan, I disagree with you about Brighton not having an identity. It does. There seems to be a section of the town who try to fall over themselves to show how down to earth they are and mock those who enjoy Brighton for being, well, Brighton.

One small example. I wonder how many towns of comparable size can boast as many music makers as Brighton has?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Having lived in some bland but quite well off, nicely presented towns, mainly in Surrey but also having lived in Brighton for a very long time I can categorically say Brighton is not provincial. I suppose it's relative, if you came from Berlin then maybe it seems provincial but if you compare it to the majority of places in the UK it is not.
It certainly does have an identity, there really isn't anywhere quite like it. Maybe Bristol?
There are a thousand small towns across England, all exactly the same with no outstanding features. Brighton is a world away from those.
All towns have their little food markets once a month or a half decent deli but by Jiminny! You spend a bit of time in a place that has Starbucks as it's most popular social destination, a choice of two pubs and one place to buy food and you soon realise Brighton is a fantastic place.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Cosmepolitan means being at ease in different countries and cultures. You can reside in a provincial town and still be cosmepolitan but the chances of you being such are probably diminished if you spend your whole life there. For what it's worth I think Brighton's cosmepolitan credentials are over stated but far from being provincial & the fella quoted by the OP is a dick if he thinks that.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
It means embracing it, if you don't have diversity, how do you embrace it. Brighton doesn't have a large ethnic minority community which draws influence from. Unless of course, you can point that out or you're using a different definition of cosmopolitan

You're not a Stalinist by any chance, are you, as cosmopolitan was used to attack Trotskyists and was a code word for anti-Semitism.

Leicester has one of the largest ethnic minority communities in Britain. Not even its biggest fan would describe it as cosmoplitan. Leo won't even live there!

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
You're not a Stalinist by any chance, are you, as cosmopolitan was used to attack Trotskyists and was a code word for anti-Semitism.

Leicester has one of the largest ethnic minority communities in Britain. Not even its biggest fan would describe it as cosmoplitan. Leo won't even live there!

So you're accusing me of two things because of 2 sentences? Incredible.

And your second point is wildly off the mark, it's not even worth replying to.

Last edited:

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Brighton clearly does have a special identity and to claim otherwise is to be deliberately obtuse. It is not pretentious to recognise this.

Brighton IS tolerant in comparison to many places - people can do what they want, be who they want, and nobody cares.

This is not the case everywhere.

Many people I know love to visit Brighton, because they find it refreshingly different.
I never said Brighton isn't different, but being different isn't necessarily a claim for an identity. I'm still waiting for examples of how it's different than say, Sheffield?
Cosmepolitan means being at ease in different countries and cultures. You can reside in a provincial town and still be cosmepolitan but the chances of you being such are probably diminished if you spend your whole life there. For what it's worth I think Brighton's cosmepolitan credentials are over stated but far from being provincial & the fella quoted by the OP is a dick if he thinks that.

Yet, where's the evidence that Brighton's at ease with different countries and cultures? Surely that has something to do with being exposed to different cultures. Brighton doesn't have a heterogeneous culture.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here