Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Watching brief can we trust Bloom and the board

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I've always supported Bloom. However what do we really know? We know from our past and the stories at other football clubs like Blackpool that it doesn't take much for an owner / board to become rotten and destroy a football club. It's the fans and NWCs responsibility to continuously watch and question what is going on.

In favour: Bloom built the stadium and has put in a lot of money. He brought in Poyet and Garcia and created a genuine buzz about the club. The stadium has been improved each year and the new hotel will provide revenue. If it wasn't for Poyet being a prat and a first game loss at Hull, we would have been promoted. Berk and Hyypia were mistakes - now put right. We tried to fit in with FFP in order to safeguard the long term interests of the club.

Against: The board is secret about many things. Do we really know the financial arrangements? Does Bloom know enough about football? Does he intend to stay long term or could he try and turn a quick
profit? Dick Knight, the one person with the track record of being a true Albion hero seems to have fallen out with the board. Is this telling us something? Our approach to contract negotiations and signings has all the hallmarks of the poker player. However, screwing every last penny may work in business, but loses deals in football. Our record of signings and retentions is poor in the past two years. FFP has turned out to be toothless. Have we been at best naive?) We lost two good managers in Poyet and Garcia, because they perceived a lack of ambition and investment.

I guess this summer will be important for the relationship between Bloom and Barber and the fans. I still personally believe that their heart is in the right place, but questions should always be asked...

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
already in prime position for post of the week
but answering your questions will be difficult, the club was going in the right direction but then I believe a clash of personalities put a stop to that, and you are right in saying that the TB and PB friendship could be strained ...................lets hope they give the rescue remedy a good swig and things go smoothly :thumbsup:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
already in prime position for post of the week
but answering your questions will be difficult, the club was going in the right direction but then I believe a clash of personalities put a stop to that, and you are right in saying that the TB and PB friendship could be strained ...................lets hope they give the rescue remedy a good swig and things go smoothly :thumbsup:

I thought my picture of a muslim being bummed by a goat was post of the week :moo:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I thought my picture of a muslim being bummed by a goat was post of the week :moo:

that was last week and non-Albion related post of the week:bowdown:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Why would anyone pump 205m into a club only to then become "rotten and destroy a football club"? How can he make a profit when the club is worth significantly less that 205m?

My view is that there are many people reading far too much into a couple of poor appointments and TB's wish for the club to be self-sustaining.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Trust them to do what precisely?

Tony Bloom has been a supporter since he was a kid, his whole family are Albion nuts. There is no evidence to suggest he is going to turn a quick profit, and only a complete BALLOON would think he could make any type of profit. He's put in about £210 million, the club is realistically worth a tenth of that.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
600 houses at £350,000 each equals £210 million. Location Lancing.
1 hotel at Falmer equals ??
1 football stadium equals £20 million apparently.
1 football team of mainly loan players equals £3 million ??

Just preparing figures for my spreadsheet to help the club.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Against: The board is secret about many things. Do we really know the financial arrangements? ..

To be fair, there are Commercial-in-confidence issues that I would expect the club to keep under wraps. I don't believe it's always best to declare everything in public. Slightly different level, I know, but John Carver's outburst about his player "Deliberately getting sent off" did the club no favours.

I would like to think that TB and the board have learnt some valuable lessons from last season. FFP was a damp squib but I think the club genuinely were trying to play by the rules for the right reasons.

I can't see why TB would go ahead with the hotel if there are financial problems.

As a supporter, I am naturally optimistic at this time of the season. My glass is half full as opposed to half empty. I guess time will tell (by that I mean the next 3 months)

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Sorry but your point about turning a quick profit completely discredits your post and future posts.

I was putting all sides of the argument. It's a view that has quite been put on NSC before by other that BLOOM would bail out. I think I was also fairly clear about my own views. This is a discussion forum!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I was putting all sides of the argument. It's a view that has quite been put on NSC before by other that BLOOM would bail out. I think I was also fairly clear about my own views. This is a discussion forum!

True, but when you put forward conspiracy theories you it ceases to be a discussion.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
600 houses at £350,000 each equals £210 million. Location Lancing.
1 hotel at Falmer equals ??
1 football stadium equals £20 million apparently.
1 football team of mainly loan players equals £3 million ??

Just preparing figures for my spreadsheet to help the club.

I think that should be £350k, for the WHOLE of Lancing.. :)

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Tony has pumped in £200m of his own cash. The club is losing around £1m per month. Other than getting in the premier league there is no way he is going to get any of his money back.

With the best will in the world the club is worth £30m.

If he is looking to make a quick profit this has to be the worst plan ever.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
FFS i know 8 year olds who can grasp the economics of this better than the op. There may be 2 sides to the argument, but one of those sides can simply and easily be dismiissed by the evidence. And that has been done on nsc dozens of times. Sadly it still doesn't stop the morons crawling out of the woodwork with the same ridiculous suggestions.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Despite the fact that we don't even know what TB does - REALLY does - for a living to earn such apparently-bottomless riches that he can 'pump in £200 of his own cash', reckon he's earned the trust of most fans, including myself. Seems a genuinely genuine guy. He goes to away games on the train, no airs and graces, and I've seen him up the racecourse deriving tremendous genuine satisfaction from one of his horses picking up a modest winner's prize of a race that he and his family have sponsored (the Harry Bloom Memorial Handicap last Summer). Reassuring to know that he comes from a long lineage of true Albion people and I would imagine that it would bring great shame on his family if he were to ever sell the Albion down the river. Which I don't suspect for one moment that he would ever do. He just isn't that kind of bloke.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes, we can clearly trust Tony and the board.

No profiteer pumps in £210 million in order to then make an overall profit.

Just because we can trust them, however, doesn't mean we cannot get frustrated with some of their strategic decisions.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here